Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Whats your story"

So how did you start searching for lost items?

My story actually begins without a Detector at all. In 1984 a friend and I were practicing with our compound bows at our local football field. Now this field was not used for school sports for some
20 years maybe. The two school districts had combined,and all sports were held there. So this made
a pretty good Archery range. For one no one really used it anymore. It was quite a ways from the school. The uprights still stand,the ticketbooth,and a old concession stand that was used for storage
and a high jump bar with some foam padding underneath itare all that remained at this time.

For some reason that day we decided to look for some foam in the concession/storage shed to use for
targets.After setting our equipment down we went in the door. a bunch of padding strewn around some boards. The wind was blowing through the open window that day and we both had gotten some
foam pieces in our eyes I remember. As we walked around I remember stumbling on a two by four
that was next to the wall where the main hinged windor would drop down for concessions. Which shocked us both to the extreme. On the underside of the board was a perfectly straight line of coins
mostly silver. We both stared at each other.We counted about thirty coins in all. We divided them up
and looked at each other some more laughing and talking;as we left. Each heading home after grabbing our equipment.

Walking home I remember looking at them.My return was quick,and I was grinning as my grandparents greeted me. I stated you wont believe what Mckibben and I found! Turns out their was
3 Walking halves,Washington quarters,mercs,roseys,jefferson nickels and even a barber dime found
between us both.

Later on my Grandfather said when people exchanged money at the stand;some was dropped inbetween the double wall. Never to be retrieved; until now that is! The next day we returned and sure enough there was a 4inch gap that coins fell into and ended up resting along the 2 by 4.

This sparked my interest in this Hobby. "Whats your story"

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: "Whats your story"

Your story reminds me of a 1920s movie theater they tore down in my town. When the concession stand/booth was torn out, there were various coins (mostly silver) all stuck in every conceivable crevice, around floors, where random coins would roll to. Same for heater vents, seams where base-boards connected to floors, etc... It was kind of fun to go tearing out any likely spot, and seeing coins. We even found a wallet from the 1940s that had been stashed somehow, beneath floor boards (like maybe there'd been a drip grate there in earlier times, and some guy had been been pick-pocketed?)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Odd.....I started detecting back in the early 80's and for the life of me...can't remember what sparked my interest.
Just an old, burnt out hippie...probably was just a hobby to get away from it all back then and now it's an addiction.
Al

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

deepskyal said:
Odd.....I started detecting back in the early 80's and for the life of me...can't remember what sparked my interest.
Just an old, burnt out hippie...probably was just a hobby to get away from it all back then and now it's an addiction.
Al
deepskyal, I am like you. I just saw detector at radio shack and thought "Hey, that would be cool" and the rest it history. Now I can't stop detecting. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread