upgrade from XLT,and Fisher F4

jtnjetta

Jan 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Vaquero, golden Umax,Compadre
I have a Spectrum Xlt in good shape and a F4.got a little money coming back was wondering should upgrade the Xlt to a DFX or F75, F70.

I like the Xlt maybe even love it, but all I hear is Dfx this Dfx that plus it seems it and the MXT are the only one that whites is making new coils for.

I bought the F4 more for compition hunts and the fact that it breaks down further and can fit in a smaller space than the Xlt.

Anyway thought about selling the Xlt and going with the Dfx or F75 would take other suggestions.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your XLT is still a fine detector and the DFX only has more features and a faster response time. Personally I don't care for LCD screens to lie to me as if you come to depend on them you leave good targets in the ground.

Many only want the top of the line detector thinking it will make a profit for them quicker. This is why you hear so much about the DFX. I like the MXT more as I think it is a more rounded unit.

As for other suggestions, you should look into the Sov. GT and see if you'd like that. It can be hip mounted and used with a meter if you have to look at a screen before you dig. It seems to be deeper than the DFX's too. I know I will hear a lot of flack on that, but I've seen it happen on the beaches.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
You may want to look at the the M6 as well. I use the DFX after using the XLT for about four or five years. Do I personally think it is a better all around detector..yes. The advantage of dual frequency, the ability to change sweep speed, filters, as well as frequencies make it probably the best all around unit in Whites lineup for coin and jewelry hunting. The MXT could be a consideration however if you don't plan on hunting gold or if you do plan on salt water beach hunting it doesn't offer any performance advantage over the M6 and the M6 is better on the beach. I'd give the F75 as well as the other new models from First Texas that seem to be coming out about every other week more time to get the bugs out.
BJW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread