what one do you think is better... cibola or silver umax?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
bootybay,

The extra price you paid for the Cibola over the Silver uMax breaks down like this:

1. Cibola runs at a higher Freq.
2. It has Freq. shift capability.
3.It has a larger coil.
4.It has push button pinpoint (all metal).

As to whether or not it is better, that depends on what the above features mean to you.

You do a great job posting here on Tnet bootybay, keep up the good work. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe is right on again.

Both are great detectors with the nod going to the Cibola for more versitility. The push button pinpoint says a lot.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Again Joe, you are right on the money. You too SandMan.

I've never hunted that area of the country, but I hear that ALL Tesoros work pretty well there.

And thanks again Joe for the AH Pro Backpacker. I tried a Garrett ace 250 in a big area full of black sand soil down by the S. Santiam River here the other day and the 250 wouldn't find anything at all. I turned the 30 year old Backpacker on and GB'ed it as best as was possible, and although it talked a lot because of the changing black sand it managed to find 3 pennies that the Ace just plain didn't see at all. It just flat wouldn't give a peep, save for howling and warbling a lot. They were only 3" deep too.

At Metaldetectorreviews.net the Cibola seems to be one of the most popular of all detectors made, including all Tesoros.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
EasyMoney,

Thanks for the good words, you too Sandman. I hope Bootybay is good with what I said. I read so often here on Tnet that someone will say " I have a brand X detector and I love it, you should get the same thing". Everybody is different that's why there are several brands with different models with different features. Yes, even the COLOR of the detector helps it sell! God, I'm ranting again! Sorry, this is a sore subject for me.
Glad you like the AH Pro backpacker. I'm so glad it went to someone that can really appreciate it. It was in really fine cosmetic condition too. I'm just about finished with some rewiring on a Fisher 555-D Pro (1982 vintage). I'm looking forward to trying it on an old spot with really deep coins. Joe

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recommended that a friend by the Cibola over the uMax for the simple reason that the uMax comes with the stock coil--and with the Cibola you get the DD coil to start with. The cost of the coil alone makes up the difference in the price--and you will want the deeper coil (10 x 12 concentric being one of the best). The frequency shift function is handy if you hunt with others--your machine may interfere with theirs, and you'll be able to do something about it. The pinpoint function is not really an upgrade, since the uMax pinpoints quite well in normal disc mode anyhow.

That's my take on it...

-Buckleboy

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
I just recommended that a friend by the Cibola over the uMax for the simple reason that the uMax comes with the stock coil--and with the Cibola you get the DD coil to start with. The cost of the coil alone makes up the difference in the price--and you will want the deeper coil (10 x 12 concentric being one of the best). The frequency shift function is handy if you hunt with others--your machine may interfere with theirs, and you'll be able to do something about it. The pinpoint function is not really an upgrade, since the uMax pinpoints quite well in normal disc mode anyhow.

That's my take on it...

-Buckleboy

BuckleBoy,

Thanks for jumping in about the Cibola but I think you made a typo. You get the 9" X 8" CONCENTRIC coil with the Cibola,not DD (double D). Joe

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOE(USA) said:
BuckleBoy said:

That's my take on it...

-Buckleboy

BuckleBoy,

Thanks for jumping in about the Cibola but I think you made a typo. You get the 9" X 8" CONCENTRIC coil with the Cibola,not DD (double D). Joe

OOPS! You're right! The 9 x 8 Concentric is a better coil than the stock coil on the uMax, though.

-Buckles

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy,

No problem on the typo, I just didn't want bootybay to get confused. I make typos or worse all the time. Yes you are right about the 9" X 8" being a better (more expensive) coil than the 8" concentric coil. Joe

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys are great..and Joe and sandman and buckleboy and the rest of ya thank you... Now heres another question for ya concerning the cibola ( which I too happen to like but lordy dont tell whites lol) is there a smaller coil for it to go deeper.. I may have to use it for a bit myself due to a injury.. UGH...so basically am asking, if there is a smaller coil to use on the cibola, whats it called so I can hunt round to find a used one..

thank you all

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootybay said:
you guys are great..and Joe and sandman and buckleboy and the rest of ya thank you... Now heres another question for ya concerning the cibola ( which I too happen to like but lordy dont tell whites lol) is there a smaller coil for it to go deeper.. I may have to use it for a bit myself due to a injury.. UGH...so basically am asking, if there is a smaller coil to use on the cibola, whats it called so I can hunt round to find a used one..

thank you all

I'm certain that there's a smaller coil, but to be honest--both Tesoro models are VERY light! And not that much difference in weight on their concentric coils versus the smaller coils. If you've been lugging a White's around, you'll be very happy with the Tesoro--even with the standard 9 x 8 coil on the Cibola.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have to use the cibola for a while..till I heal up or know whats going on first..

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootybay I have a 5.75 coil for my vaquero it also works on the cibola I had a cibola and my son bought a vaquero and didn't like the manual ground balance so we traded the small coil works good in trashy areas goes pretty deep also I kept the coil when we traded

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats why I want the smaller coil...so far the areas I hunt in are super trashy...

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cibola is a fine machine .I bought one for a back up a couple of years ago and I ended up using it as my main work horse. Really good all around machine. ;)

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Joe that 550d was a workhorse, a mining machine. It had an extreme depth all-metal mode (one of the deepest ever made). I knew a guy who pulled a barber quarter out of the ground with one @ 14" in a bunch of volcanic rubble in Spokane, Washington up at the park there on top of a hill. It's a beast to tote around, but it's a very good ore sampler.

One day I was fooling around with my old Golden and Silver Sabers testing the coils. I found that the 5.75 coil and the 8 incher discriminated the same, and other than one being larger and open in the middle they got the same depth on same-sized objects. The 8" covered a little bit wider search path though. I never have figured out exactly why they made those two different style coils except for one having a hole in the center and it being able to search an inch or so greater search path.

I mostly use a 3" coil with my Compass's, because even though they both find BB sized nuggets in the ground at 6 inches (this is not a joke) the 3 incher does cherry pick a bit better than the 8 inch one. The 3 incher is lighter too and gets in between grass and weeds etc a whole lot better due to it's small diameter. The depth is nearly the same, but sometimes the 8 incher beats the 3" and sometimes the opposite, depending on which soil I hunt in. That old Compass XP Pro though is the best of four cherry pickers I've ever had in my hands, and that's where I use the 3". The old Silver Saber and Silver uMax are a VERY close #2 and the Compass Relic & Coin is a close 4th, respectively. The Compass R&C is my depth demon and the one I modified, and it's where I mostly use the 8 incher, or at times, my 12" coil.

I think I prefer the lower frequency of the Silver uMax in my area mainly because of it's inherent propensity for finding silver dimes, and that it works so well in highly mineralized soil..

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, I love all that I have heard and think I will play with it for a few days to see ( like I had said till I know whats wrong with my arm, the weight of the whites is killing me, yes, am gonna get hip mounts but would also like to find out these test results first) also, my parks I hunt are super trashed..thats why I want the smaller coil for the cibola.. and will test run it at the ole bar I have been finding tons of coins...what the hay !!! right..

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bootybay, the 5.75 inch coil makes swingin the cibola a breeze. It separates the targets really well and it is sensitive on small rings. One more thing, it pinpoints so much better than the stock coil. If you can afford it, bootybay, it would make a worthwhile investment. You won't regret it.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hoping to find a used smaller coil,if not I know where to get one new at a good price.. so we'll see what happens..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread