need direction

dunmar

Feb 6, 2008
OK,
As you can tell I am new at this. I collect used lead, mostly wheel weights. I make my own shot for trap shooting. My most recent adventures have lead me to places where people go to target shot. I have found some lead. I asked if detectors can find lead and have been told yes. Now I need direction on what type of MD to look for. Just could use some advice.

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if all you're interested in is lead, the ace 150 will do it easily. If you want a cheap detector bounty hunter will work.
Just remember the cheaper the machine, the less depth on finds.
Buy a good machine, that way, when you're done looking for lead, you can move up to the firing line and collect the goodies that fell out of pockets.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are looking for lead shot get something with a relatively high frequency - like 12KHz on up.

I lived 25 years (from age 20 on) in the same house and had a shooting range on the back hill that was well used. Every so often I'd go searching for lead to re-cast in my muzzleloaders.

patman

Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sidewinder umax, Tesoro vaquero
Hi dunmar,
I think any halfway decent detector will find lead. If you do get a detector a good place to search is the tailwater banks below reservoirs, especially when the water is low. There are lots of sinkers there and mostly big ones 3/4oz and up.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
My MXT finds lead. I've found several lead fishing sinkers.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dunmar said:
OK,
As you can tell I am new at this. I collect used lead, mostly wheel weights. I make my own shot for trap shooting. My most recent adventures have lead me to places where people go to target shot. I have found some lead. I asked if detectors can find lead and have been told yes. Now I need direction on what type of MD to look for. Just could use some advice.

Lead hunter, eh?

Go to WalMart and buy a Bounty Hunter or whatever they're selling these days.

Take it out and try it for as long as WalMart allows. Dig about 50 lbs of lead and if you decide you really don't need a detector just yet, take it back to the store and get a refund.

Lead is easy to detect with most any machine and those detectors WalMart sells are very good for the price.

I luv that awesome WalMart return policy.

Badger

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Any metal detector will easily find lead. If lead is your objective, it's not so much the machine your using, as to where you are hunting. Fishing environments will have lots of lead weights. I've been on fishing beaches (ocean) after storms when there are so many fishing sinkers, I think I'm going to throw up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread