Coil Covers Good or Bad?

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
On a couple of my coils, I used black electrical tape around the edges of the coil cover. It keeps the dirt out and is easy to remove for a really good cleaning. The taping can be a pain if there are too many open areas, but even just tape around the outside will keep a lot of dirt out.
I figure that I paid good money for my X-Terra and coils. I like to keep them clean and take the best care of them that I can. A well cared for detector will bring more money when or if you decide to upgrade.

Good hunting, John K

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnEarthed72 said:
I wonder if anyone has thought about getting your coils RHINO LINED--or a similar spray on rubberized material

i have thought it would be a good idea in the past,but not sure if it would affect the detector in a negative way

Shawn

I'm all for covers. Hey Shawn, how about that spray can stuff you can buy to undercoat a vehicle? It's pretty rubbery and goes on sort of like Rhino stuff?

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this.Cut a rubber hose into three sections.One into 2 inch length .The other two into 3 or 4 inch length depending on the size of the coil. Just on the inside of the hoses ,inner curved part cut end to end. Take the short hose put it on the coil where the coil and ground touch when you set your detector down. Next take the other two hoses and put them on the outer sides of the coil. This will protect the coil when sweeping back and fourth.The thickness of the hose will also keep the bottom of coil from touching the ground and gives you a constant height from the ground. Pick any color hose
and know metal support inside the hose.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Covers are a waste of money. Use it for 1000 hours and then if you think you may be getting close to wearing it out, then buy a cover. JMO

G

gamiller

bavarianminister said:
Coil covers good - Scratches bad!
Short and to the point I have to agree.
I had a cz-20 for 10 years without a coil cover.
I now wonder if I missed anything because the coil was in such bad shape from the years of use.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Marine apoxy by locktight ,, get it at home Depot,,, works Great .. I use it on all my MDs .. does not affect the depth.... use coil cover for a frisbe....... Guzz1

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cost of a coil cover is way cheeper then a new coil.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Andy_WV said:
Hello,

I was thinking of getting a coil cover, but was unsure if it is a good idea. Do they effect the operation of the detector? Any insight on the subject is greatly appreciated.
Back in the '80s when the coils were "solid" as opposed to what are called "spider" coils because of their open structure similar to a spider web, it was necessary to use a coil cover to keep the bottom of the coil from eventually developing cracks especially when at the beach where the sand would wear away part of the thin material.

Performance was never affected by the coil cover. And if you sold your detector you could show the bottom of the coil as being flawless, a good selling point.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have put some pretty hard miles on lots of coils and I have never worn one through. I believe that it would depend on the area you are hunting in, the type of coil you use and your particular technique. I hunt mainly in grassy areas, soft sandy areas and wooded areas. If you hunt in rocky areas where you may be banging the coils on rocks all day, you may want to consider a cover. There are also coils out there that are much more tough than others. Some are solid resin filled water proof coils that are more soild and protect the wiring very well, others are not water proof and hollow with just a thin shell of plastic covering the wiring. I use both types and on the thinner more fragile coils, I use a cover.

Hope this helped somebody.

DaChief

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
I recommend them. I bought a cover for one of of my coils, just to try'em out, and you can tell big difference in a short amount of time! I clean mine out whenever I wipe down the detector and as of yet, I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the detector.

Also, I bought the rainproof gear for my control housing about ten years ago and all my VDI numbers listed on the box still look brand new! They haven't wore off a bit! Well worth the money!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread