Experience over Tech.

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
I am rather new to detecting as I have started in Dec. 07 and only have about 25 hours of actual detecting experience. I have been given permission to metal detect on a lady's property that is mostly wooded. She has told me she was pretty sure the land was at one time used as a CW field hospital. So the question, are there any specific settings or descrimination I need to adjust my Whites XLT to? Is there a general rule of thumb when detecting wooded areas as opposed to open fields and yards? Thanks for all the assistane and guidance you can lend.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are looking for all items you should use no disc and retrieve everything. Take your time and overlap your sweeps. Pack out all trash and cover your holes. The ground should look like it did before you did any digging.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good advice from Sandman. May I add, Never get discouraged.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Gary60

Lucky you! Proceed VERY carefully. Do not tell ANYONE what you are going to do/doing or where the location is. Treat the landowner with "kid gloves", you can also LOSE permission in a heartbeat. I know you have limited knowledge about this kind of relic hunting, but pick a likely spot, then do a little prep by using a coarse rake to remove the duff in a small spot before you try to hunt. When you have finished that spot put it back in condition EXACTLY the way you found it. Keep sampling in this manner until you find a hot spot, good luck! Joe

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
What Sand Man said.

Relics come in all shapes, sizes and metals so you are going to need to dig everything with the potential the site has. CW field medical sites are hard to come by. I have been fortunate to have had access to one in Aldie Virgina and found many buttons, bullets, all sorts of pins etc. Odd thing is the property owner was an elderly lady as well and lived alone in the original small house on the property. If she is right you will be in detector heaven. ENJOY!

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Thanks for all the great advice and tips. I am always very respectful to have such privileges. One thing I have learned and tend on passing on to my kids as I teach them is to leave an area as you found it or better and if you dig trash, you properly discard such trash and if you find a great dig then you are the luckier. I am retired military and would like to think I present myself with notable integrity. It was a bit touchy getting permission in the first place as others have tried to obtain permission and have failed. As for the land, there is nothing that has been found or recorded that would factly identify the area as being used as a field hospital. She would like it if I did find something to seal the rumor. Behavior here could lead to another spot she did mention that has turned up CW bullets and something that does looks like a cannon ball frag. This is my first permittable site (not that I have been out without permission). I have asked a couple of times and flatly refused. Here in Williamsburg, VA people are endeed on edge about metal detectors and those who use them. Thanks again for all the help. I will post anything I find from this site.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a cheap bottle of wine as a thank you to her will put you in a better light!

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck Gary, Can't wait to see you finds ,,should be very interesting ,, Keep that location a secret otherwise that nice lady will throw ya out of there ,, good luck HH guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread