quattro users

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007
ok, ive read alot of your post and u give some good info and i appreciate it, but there are some things im not understanding. now aside from ground mineralization (because your ground is obviously different from mine) now the dilemma i have is weather in all metal or coin/jewelry mode. in coin/jewelry mode i get a high tone and number for that matter but i will put it in all metal mode and it changes too a low tone n number. its as if it is a big chunk of iron or something like that close enuff 2 the coil that "bleeds thru" (thats what i call it) as a coin. BUT some people say if u get a low tone n number with a high tone n number it is iron with a coin or something good. BUT heres the problem i have, i will dig it up find the iron but nothing that gave a high tone indication. i will then run the disk ALL around the area looking for that high tone and come up with nothing. it was the iron i found. weather it was coin/jewelry mode or all metal mode, doesnt matter which. i also know that when you dig something out the ground you disturb the halo effect, which makes me think thats why the "possible" coin reading doesnt come back on MD. so whats going on here? how do i know when to dig? also they say make a test garden, well thats fine BUT if i throw a coin on the ground it picks it up. if i bury that same coin 2 or 3 inches down, its gone. i cant find it with quattro. i have 2 get the wifes xterra 30 2 find it. now i asked this question b4 and was told (not by u or any1 else in here) that it doesnt work all that well on freshly buried coins and besides why would i want 2 find new coins anyways. well thats fine and dandy but am i suppose 2 make a test garden and come back in 100 years. lol. and 1 more thing, does the platypus coil perform alot better than the stock 10.5? now im into ATV's and know that after market stuff usually is better than stock but there is also hype out there. is this coil better or is it just hype? id love 2 get a coil that performs better than the stock. personally i think stock is, i wont say junk, but does add a bit of confusion 2 the equation. not as clear in telling me whats really going on. like a politician. lol. thank u very much

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Red,
I had a Quattro about a year or so ago. If you have never used a Minelab it can be frustrating to use. You should be able to bury a coin IN A METAL FREE area and pick it up with your detector down to about 4-5 inches. The Quattro is famous for nulling out on iron so you will not detect anything. Anyway, go to this site and read some of the threads. You will get a lot of advice by reading.

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?3

Bob

JimInPhilly

Mar 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite
Bury a coin at 2 or 3 inches and cant find it?..Sounds like you have your sens. set either too high or too low , or you have Disc'ed coins out...
Dont be afraid to turn the sens. down on this machine..Its a very sensitive machine , thats why some people get frustrated with it... I usually hunt in all-metal mode , with sensitivity at 12 , if its too noisy Ill turn it down to as low as 8...It still locks in on deepies..

When I first got this machine I didnt understand all the sounds , but in time learned to love it , it does lock in on coins around iron.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread