Is anyone hear actually hunting for a living?

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Im just curious.Does anyone here do this full time.I cant wait for spring and my 1st full week of hunting....I suppose if you catch a few good hits you can roll it over into your next hunt....I read about a group/MDers who move around the world during the seasons .They all had there favorite locations and times of the year to be there.Its not fair to call them just MDers cuz these guys talked meteorites and old bottles and a host of other interests.They were true Treasure hunters chasing the Adventure of saving history!... and making some loot along the way...

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 20 plus years I have been hunting, I have run into a handful of folks that were hunting for a living. I particularly didn't care for them because the bulk were relic hunters as I was at the time. What I saw from these folks was that they were willing to do anything to con people into divulging their prime locations. They would then hunt them with reckless abandon often causing the land owners to ban folks from the property beyond that point. One such location was a local college that was occupied as a military site in colonial times, the Civil War, and on through WWII. We were allowed to hunt there because we took care of the property. One of these "Professional Hunters", befriended a fellow that hunted there also and got onto the property through him. Two days later, the place was found with large trenches and holes dug everywhere. We checked and found out through the grapevine the the "pro" had hit it one evening, did the damage and left. Needless to say we weren't allowed to hunt there past that point.

I am sure that there are many professional hunters that are good at what they do and very ethical but you have to keep in mind that the motivation of getting wealthy or the fear of failure at your chosen profession can make men and women do things that us recreational hunters wouldn't dream of.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Great post, DaChief!

I would say a person would need to be very aggressive to earn a living, today, with a detector.

Or lucky.

And we all know, it's better to be lucky than know what you are doing. ;D

HH
rmptr

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Best way to get wealthy doing this is illustrated by Charles Kenworthy.
Write a book, or books about it.

people are so enthused about that possibility of getting rich they will buy the books.
They don't even have to be worth lining a litter box with.
(that's what I think of most of Kenworthy's stuff)

But people still fight over the books

That is where "Chuck" got his money.
and he had a blast doing it.

Thom

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
A book?

I think you'd have to put it on CD so it could be pirated on the net to get people to hear the message these days!

Our largest, longest running used book store just shut down.

Apparently they are, across the state.

Internet sales are killing them, not lack of readership, I guess.

When I tell people I regularly check out books at the library they look at me like I'm from another planet!

It's easier to read information on pulp, but it's dated info, soon as it's printed.

Internet is the only way to go to attempt to be at the cutting edge of anything.

Even historical research!

Best,
rmptr

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankly I just live to detect. Doesn't really matter if I find the Holly Grail or not just so long as I can get out and look.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Good point there, TT, on the 'meaning' of words changing.

I had discovered that, years ago, when I didn't quite understand words I was reading.
So I bought Black's Law Dictionary, 5th Edition. It was cheap! $20...

The words some people were telling me did NOT mean what they said!

Then, a couple years after that, when in another state, I went to a VERY large bookstore and bought Black's 2nd Edition which was written at the time as the subjects I was researching and was even more enlightening as to the common meaning of those words IN THE DAY THEY WERE WRITTEN. I think it was only $8.00.

I think there is still plenty out there for a dedicated Thunter to find.
A local news story claims a military sweep, of a large parcel donated to a school, just recently found three pieces of unexploded ordnance. This was the third sweep in recent times, and the gunnery range was de-activated after WWII. They keep finding more!

There's got to be plenty cache spots out there, holding troves of various sizes.

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread