Is anyone hear actually hunting for a living?

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Im just curious.Does anyone here do this full time.I cant wait for spring and my 1st full week of hunting....I suppose if you catch a few good hits you can roll it over into your next hunt....I read about a group/MDers who move around the world during the seasons .They all had there favorite locations and times of the year to be there.Its not fair to call them just MDers cuz these guys talked meteorites and old bottles and a host of other interests.They were true Treasure hunters chasing the Adventure of saving history!... and making some loot along the way...

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
8)...There are probably some out there .....And some divers that do but we all do not dive.............. What i see most is the Gold Prospectors that i think more of them make a living at it than any one.........We all would like to make a liveing at it but for most i would say it is just a hobby...... I wish i would have taken it more serious when i was younger...............But now that i am retired or semi retired i hope the lord gives me 20 more years so i can find that ..Mother Lode.. or BIG Cache...==Jim==....................

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wvhillbilly... I laughed my butt off on your comment... that was great...

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
WV, I have a news flash for you.

I already found her.

But believe me, she wasn't all that plus a bag of chips. With all her $$ she tried to control me. She even sat on my detector one time and bent the pole on the thing. So I went out and found a better looking, poor but more fun, skinny, financially challenged and mentally proficient one who was half the first one's age. That lasted about 6 months until she got smarter, so now I'm (again) looking around for the next (future) ex Mr's EasyMoney who fits the last criteria, but not the first one.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I would think there's exponentially more that supplement their income, than are able to fit the 'prudent man' criteria of earning a living by it.

Seems like even the CRACKBADGER has a day job.

If I make better finds we get a bit more in the soup!
rmptr

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marrying for money is one of the hardest ways to earn it. ;)

I do believe the best way to metal detect/treasure hunt for a living is to retire with a pension, fat 401(k)and/or social security and THEN detect full time.

That's my plan (with the occasional fishing vacation thrown in).

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep CharlieP, I like your plans, Im gonna get there some day,hopefully cept Im gonna have numerous fishing vacations thrown in with the detecting,lol.
John

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
hillbilly:i got mine.braxton county redhead on the order of conchatta farrell.local folks consider me a brave man.jus whipped.easier to go dig than stay in sight of the house til supper time.life is good.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Marrying for money is one of the hardest ways to earn it. ;)

I do believe the best way to metal detect/treasure hunt for a living is to retire with a pension, fat 401(k)and/or social security and THEN detect full time.

That's my plan (with the occasional fishing vacation thrown in).
[/quo

I would not count too much on SS -changes are coming

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
truckinbutch said:
hillbilly:i got mine.braxton county redhead on the order of conchatta farrell.local folks consider me a brave man.jus whipped.easier to go dig than stay in sight of the house til supper time.life is good.

Yea , I always heard those braxton county redheads would give a man the runs .

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea I have a friend mark , That does this for a living , He has a camper that he lives in and hits all the beaches he in the state of Florida, He travels with his pet cockatoo RENO very cool bird . I hunt with mark 4-5 times a month , He finds big tickets lots of gold , His best find was a Stanley cup ring found here in Sarasota ,,he was offered 80k for it by a sports collector , He found the owner and return it for a 10k reward,,, Mark is great guy and has been mding 15 years down here . He knows what HE'S DOING HE'S THE REAL DEAL.. Guzz1

OP
OP
scrapdoggie

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
guzz1 said:
Yea I have a friend mark , That does this for a living , He has a camper that he lives in and hits all the beaches he in the state of Florida, He travels with his pet cockatoo RENO very cool bird . I hunt with mark 4-5 times a month , He finds big tickets lots of gold , His best find was a Stanley cup ring found here in Sarasota ,,he was offered 80k for it by a sports collector , He found the owner and return it for a 10k reward,,, Mark is great guy and has been mding 15 years down here . He knows what HE'S DOING HE'S THE REAL DEAL.. Guzz1
well at least you get to work with him a bit....experience is key!...ive been watching RV's on ebay for local trips.I have a few friends that would like to do the all night beach hunts come spring time.And with all the excitement with the planned Tnet group hunts going on.Its going to be alot of driving expenses involved so i wanna knock out the hotel expenses anyway..thanks for the posts

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I would like to do it "for a living" because that implies that you would have to sell your finds...that does not appeal to me.

HH!
TBGO

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to make a living off pull tabs do you know how many it takes to make a pound?????l.o.l.

S

seger98

My wife & I are full time RV'ers, still in out early 40's, we could make a living at treasure hunting......... BUT. as someone else said above, that would entail selling the stuff, I'm not intersted in selling any of it yet. so to answer your question, it is possible to make a living treasure hunting if you work hard at it, diversify & are willing to sell!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The Beep Goes On said:
I don't think I would like to do it "for a living" because that implies that you would have to sell your finds...that does not appeal to me.

HH!
TBGO
Well you see i love to hunt and detect and like i said before ...........I sell every thing i get no thrill at collecting, ...........or just looking ..................or hording any thing..........................What ever i find no matter how much it might be worth it goes....................... Sitting on a shelf or in a chest does not thrill me..................The money thrills me.....................I will keep nice Jewelry if it is something that myself or some one in the family will wear..........Other wise cash in my pocket...........................ONE THING I AM NOT IS A COLLECTOR..==Jim==

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I have fantasized about it many times. If I could make a living at it, I certainly would. It would require alot of travel, and the ability to live cheaply.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
just a hobby for me. i dont think even full time i could find enough to even come close to living on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread