Newbie with questions.

Andy_WV

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 2200
hello group!

I am fairly new to the hobby and have really enjoyed reading all the posts. I do however have a few questions. I like all the ideas of cleaning up trash and using a cloth to put you plug on to make the dug area undetectable after target retrieval. I have praciticed in my own yard and have really dug about every target in the yard (3 acres). I really understand how to use the thing now after digging loads of trash and a few clad. I am wanting to find some areas locally and have been checking topo maps of the area in different dates looking for changes. My question is how do I gain access to school property, churches, city parks, and so on? Should I try to find someone to call to ask permission? Or, do i just do it and be polite and hope to not be asked to leave? I like the ideas of flyers for private property and will persue this one, but unsure of public areas. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Andy
WV

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If it's public property (parks and schools, etc..) and not an obvious historic monument, I just go. Odds are no one cares. If you are skittish with that, look up in the city or county codes/law yourself (they're usually on-line somewhere) to see if anything addresses detecting. If not, consider yourself no different than any other park user (swing sets, throwing a frisbee, etc...). The reason I say to look it up yourself, is if you went in to city hall and asked, the WAY you ask the question could have a big difference in the answer. Example: If you walk in with a shovel in one hand, a detector in the other, and ask "Can I dig in the park for treasure?". What do you think their answer will be? But if you ask,"is there anything that prohibits detecting in the city?" (with no reference to retreival methods), then your question puts them in a position of having to think if the topic is specifically addressed (and most cities/counties don't). But if you just look it up yourself, you solve that problem without any worry of the wording, or the whims of desk-bound person who may try to morph something to fit you, just because she's having a bad day or whatever.

As for churches and private property, technically, you'd need to ask permission.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the park (and who's available to ask). Some have huge signs of the "Thou Shalt Not's" and if metal detecting isn't listed I do. Others have a staff HQ or frequent presence (a town park vehicle that patrols) and then I ask. At some parks I've never seen an official - usually the small ones with no pool or ballfield.

Schools you should stop in at the office and ask - just to cover your arse - but make sure you mention it will be during non-school hours. No one wants you there when school is in session.

Churches you should ask - the minister/priest/rector. Don't ask the sexton (he'll be worried you'll make a mess of his lawn). Locally we have several churches that are disused and for sale (you KNOW it's a depressed area when the churches go up for sale). I've had some good hunts at a couple, and been approached at one - not so much yelled at as saddened. I thought the guy was going to cry. When I mentioned at least I'm keeping an eye on the place and would call the sheriff if I saw anything suspicious he was agreeable.

Private homes ALWAYS ask first. I have my eye on an old abandoned home near mine and haven't found anyone to ask. I may stop at the nearest farm and, even if he's not the owner, at least I'd be reassured he won't call me in as a menace.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for Charlie's advice to ask at public schools and parks, remember it's asking if anything prohibits metal detecting. Not "can I metal detect?"

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Since there's SO MANY differences cross the country...

At schools and well manicured parks... I'd ask the staff if I were concerned.

I was once detected in an outlying sports field of a university campus and a landscape guy zeroed in on me like a fighter pilot!!! ...in his golf cart... LOL

He saw I wasn't digging huge holes in HIS turf and was friendly enough.
So I sez, "what's up?"

He replied, "They even metal detect on our inner lawns here on campus."

...and that's right where I went next trip out! Got a small diamond ring 1st time there...
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread