Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Re: Probe suggestions?

Stay away from alien probes as they hurt and no one believes you anyway.
But the cost is right in fact I got my alien anal probe for free ;D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I'm sorry I couldn't help my self. :D
As far as I'm concerned the best probes are homemade affairs since we all tend to hunt in various locations with different soil/ sand/ clay / rock compositions. Heres the two overriding things you must remember in any probe construct. First it must be bigger at the tip than along it's shaft in order to have a frictionless probing. Second the tip should be rounded and of a soft metal. Not too round so that it can penetrate aliminum cans etc... I have tried many different coatings and plastics etc.. but they all change the way things feel when in contact with other metal vs rock. The simplist I've mad was from aliminum knitting needles one small thin whith another about three sizes bigger. cut the tip off the larger one and epoxy it to the smaller tip now probe away. ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

get the Sunray In-line probe. Ditch all others. Sunray makes compatible after-market probes for most brands of machine (you didn't say what brand/type you had)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Shermanville, aren't those terms (pinpointer and probe) used interchangeably to refer to pinpointers? I suppose "probe" could also mean a digging probe, like an ice-pick or screwdriver to probe the ground? I just assumed he meant an electronic pinpointer probe.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys, I meant pinpointer, not probe, but I guess I've heard both terms used. The electric kind that you use to pinpoint finds. We use an Ace 250.

HH

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Tom_in_CA said:
Shermanville, aren't those terms (pinpointer and probe) used interchangeably to refer to pinpointers? I suppose "probe" could also mean a digging probe, like an ice-pick or screwdriver to probe the ground? I just assumed he meant an electronic pinpointer probe.

Tom_in_CA,
unfortunately, yes. ;)

But do read the instructions that come with your
"electronic probe."
"Do not use as a probe since your could damage
it" :-\ :-\

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

all have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Well now the Alien probe they used on me was definately electrified so I guess they could be used interchangeably. But I don't know if I would refer to it as pinpointing. :D :D :D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
OK a pinpointer vs a probe are definately not the same beast. A pinpointer is a small metal detector that reacts buy buzzing, beeping or lighting up or any combination of the three when placed within 1/2 inch to 4 inches. A probe is a device used also for detecting a find under ground buyt is used by the feel. A stone feels different from a coin when poked by the probe. That said I use a Treasure hunter probe whuich is on the more expensive side. Well over a hundred I can't remember how much but it may have been as much as $180.00 But I liked the features as well as the distance it can detect 3" on a dime 4" on a quarter. The Sunray for the 250 is even more expensive and adds weight to the unit plus it doesn't get any farther. I also didn't like the fact that it detected over the entire length of it's shaft which can cause problems with targets to the side in your hole. Now getting down to the cheaper ones almost every manufacturer also makes a pinpointer with most of them reaching out only 1/2 inch on dimes 3/4 on nickles, 1 inch on quarters. you can also find plans in the MD modification forum here at T-Net to build one of your own for under $20.00 There is one pinpointer that allot of people seem to favor called the Vibra probe. It's fairly inexpensive, water proof and darn near indestructable. However as Sherm has pointed out dont use it like a probe or you will break it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i use the ...Vibra-Probe 570 ... it commouicates with vibrations the closer you get to your target the stronger the vibes...it is run on a battery and .....i'll be it is called a probe ....it's electronic ...and you could call it a pin pointer also they call it a ...probe ?????? i call it my Vibra-Probe........... My self i like the Vibra-Probe 570 ..it is ..PI....and i like the ...PI.. Probes / Pin Poniters better than any other kind......I don't think you can go wrong with a..PI..Probe / Pin Ponter after you use a..PI probe you will think all others are toys and you don't have to drag extra cable around with you like you have to do with another kind and when you get a new detector you do not have to buy another probe for the ones with the cable only work with 1 model of detector...................==Jim==

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Whites pin pointers. The 120 and the Bullseye II

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
I also use a Vibra Probe, mine is the 560. I really like the basic design, it is also waterproof. Very easy to use pinpointer, Beale.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer.....Three words for you....."Detectorpro Pocket UniProbe".....

I have the Automax Precision V4 probe, the Vibra-Probe 570 which is waterproof, and the Pocket UniProbe. The pocket uniprobe litterly blows them away. It will easily pinpoint 4-6 inches deep and with it recoveries are quick and easy. The uniprobe is worth its weight in gold. Combined with the EZ-Dig-R system they become a lethal combination in land hunting.

The uniprobe sells for $269 new, but if you look you can find them used for a good price. I paid $135 for mine used with 6 months left on the warranty from a detector shop, after using mine now for a couple months I would not have a problem paying full price if I had too.....

detectorpropocketuniprobe.jpg

http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=471

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I thought I'd try a pinpointer so I went with the vibraprobe 560... Wish I'd bought one sooner... Whichever pinpointer you get you won't be disappointed.. It helps retrieve targets so much faster and easier

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, folks. I'll start researching and see what looks good in my budget. I think it will make a nice little Mother's Day gift to myself. :icon_queen:

Cheers and HH.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:)i bout a mxt and it came whith a bulls eye 2 pin pointer there the best they have a light on them so you can see in the hole.vibbrate or beep 20 or so hours one 9 volt battery there aroun a120 bucks they save alot of time looking. bounty hunter has a cheaper one i dont thick it has a light on it but go to kellyco an look there the best place to fined one.

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
Manne,

I also own and would not be without my Vibra-Probe 570. Been detecting a little over 30 years and have dug many a target --- but there are always one or two elusive little buggers that I need a pinpointer/probe to finally locate (without spending all day looking for them).

Waterproof, yes --- 9 v battery -- yes, but I also like the fact that you grab it by the handle then point the tip toward the sky to turn it on --- it gives a couple of quick vibrations to tell you it is activated. It operates as a previous reply already mentioned --- vibrations get stronger as it gets closer to the target.

But I also like the fact that after a minute or so of no activity, it turns itself off.

I hope this helps. ---- Socalal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread