Planning to go underwater with detector for a 1st time...

Tape

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2005
Finland
Nice to finally post my first... So heres the deal: I am from Finland, and i am going to make some searching with my friend near Russian border where Finnish troops destroyed troops that were attacking during winter war. Many Russian fled across lakes and were chased by Finnish troops. There is now few lakes we are going to go with snorkels, and if even little bit of hint of something there, i will dive with my scubagear.

From these lakes have been found few guns, which some have been in really good shape. At 1995 fishermans net got Russian machinegun, and bullets inside where in so good grease, that they were good to shoot.

Now, i would like to get some tips how to search something underwater with detector. My friend will by some before summer so if you have pointers what should be looked i would appreciate. Is there any chance to try scout with snorkeling, or should we just go scuba?

Sorry for my spelling, maybe it will improve by time...

T

Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
snorkling will be fine as long as the water is not to deep, your spelling is fine. how clear are your lakes? sounds pretty intresting, keep us informed

OP
OP
Tape

Tape

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2005
Finland
thompy said:
snorkling will be fine as long as the water is not to deep, your spelling is fine. how clear are your lakes? sounds pretty intresting, keep us informed

We have very clear lakes but there are many swampakes near Russian border when they might be a little bit dark... I will keep you informed. Too bad that there are very few places in present Finland where was battles on. Now allmost every big battle location is across the border..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad that there are very few places in present Finland where was battles on.

That's because you did such an outstanding job holding the line.

I've read up on the tactics, specifically the "Motti's" and Simo Häyhä in particular. Astounding resistance.

Best of luck in the water.

(A couple deer I've taken with my Finnish M-39 (Sako)).

Attachments

• 003_01s.jpg
    003_01s.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 004_02s.jpg
    004_02s.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 197

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Tape,
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here and I hope you will continue to post and keep us informed with your progress.
If you are searching for mostly iron objects a magnetometer would be a very good unit to search with. A metal detector will be great for searching for other items, but any ferromagnetic item would be quickly picked up with a mag. They are fast and you can search a lot of area in a hurry. You could use the mag to locate a good search area, remove all the iron objects you can find with the mag, then use the metal detector to locate other items.
I like to hunt for relics and I like to explore iron objects so I have two dry land 'fluxgate' mags. I also find that on land I can scan a lot of back woods with a mag and the iron gives away the location of many old homestead sites, even when you can't see a sign of prior in-habitation. I am from the NW part of the USA and after a hundred years all traces of civilization have vanished beneath a carpet of moss and fallen leaves.
Your quest sounds like a great adventure. Good luck and please keep us up to date. Highwater

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread