The kid in the candy store

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I feel just like that proverbial kid in a candy store. Confronted with the results of five straight years of heavy research I can confidently say I'm site rich. In fact I'm so site rich that even on the remote chance that I should by some miracle live beyond 100 years I could never thoroughly hunt all the locations which I've uncovered. So my puzzle now is what to do next. My knee jerk reaction might be as childish as that proverbial Kid. I just wanna hunt each site a litlle, just enough to get a taste and then move on. I've searched somewhat for a hunting partner but find I'm just a confirmed bachelor when it comes to treasure hunting. If I wasn't I still doubt even with a partner we could cover this many sites. Another thing is that I've come to love the research as much as the hunting. Finding the sites and then confirming their value either through monetary value or historical finds is a gas. To do away with my winter time hobby of research would be a shame but what am I to do ? I know allot of you will say just give the sites away, but that would be very hard for me to do, not outta greed but really just curiosity and I suppose a little pride. Anyone else find this to be their sitiuation and if so have you found a way to deal. :P :-[

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip #6 Read your local and not so local newspapers. They're always full of great places and stories of great places to MD. And also read the phone book, I know it sounds crazy, but try it and see what Ideas you come upon. For those of you looking for that real treasure that is rumored to be just around the corner, get to know the Librarian in the area of said treasure. You'll find them a wealth of info, not only about your treasure but also about other searchers and what they did or didn't do etc....

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Tips #1-6 all duly noted in MD Dog's book on my desktop! :thumbsup: You are too good to us!! When you get ready to publish just let me know and I will send ya everything I saved! lol Thanks so much for sharing!! ~hugs~

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Any updates on your progress with this group hunt Kiros ? :)

My focus has been on the group hunt that took place down in Surry, VA last weekend. It was a very successful hunt with some great finds. Now it's time to dive into the information that you sent me and get the ball rolling on this hunt.

I am thinking mid to late summer for this, since it is probably going to take some time to recon the site, speak with the right people, gather enough TNet folks, and of course get permission and make arrangements. I can't promise anything fancy, ie prizes, but I am fairly certain that if we can get permission to hunt this place, that I can gather a good group of guys and gals to make it happen.

Stay tuned for updates.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I can't stress enough the importance of good research for those of you who are actually following this thread. If your looking for good finds that are better than average, no matter what those finds are, they'll be better with some good research. Too many people call themselves detectorists, yet they actually only hunt at ball parks,school fields, parks etc..... Not that that is bad if all you wanna find is clad or the very occasional piece of jewelery. But finding that ol'e swimmin hole or Amusement park, what about 1950s driveins or Church picnic site. These places are gold mines for real. One of the ares of study for the dedicated detectorist is to be found in the Cache forum here at T-net. There's more info there about finding old homesites or other old sites than in any other area, and they certainly post more info on the subject than I can here in this one thread. But that brings me to the point of this thread I think I'm on Tip #6, My sweet Angel Cyn will keep straight on that. :D
It's not being a traitor if you belong to more than one forum. I know allot of you will disagree but not the smart ones. :wink: There are litterally close to a hundred different places on the web that are dedicated to hunting metal or treasure or gold or coins or whatever. If your gonna hunt an old boyscout camp. Look around on the web for anything and everything Boyscout related. I found collectors who tell me all about where's the best places to hunt for closed and lost BSA camps. I find Church retreats by talking to guess who ? The churches is right, see this research stuff is easy if you put your mind to it. Also try hunting for info directly related to what your hunting. Sure type in coins or old coins and you'll get the same tired ol'e sites that everyone else has and are using. But try typing something different like Boyscout bolo's and just see what it brings up. Also go at least as deep as the relevant returns on your search. If it starts to give me results that aren't relevant I keep going for another three or four pages to make sure because some times the relevant and nonrelevant mix in the middle, and it's these obscure, hardly ever viewed pages that yield great info of lost treasures. :wink:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Great Tip #7 there! ;) Yep...already had Tip #6 in your book sweet man so this one would be 7. Amazing good tips for everyone here. I sure hope all are paying close attention! I know I am! :thumbsup:

I looked through and tried to count how many forums I belonged to... ::) MANY of them...too many to keep track of. I must admit that I only have two that are open at all times but have at least a dozen I belong to and I am in total agreement on the comment about it not making a person a traitor. I have learned a great deal from most of them, found great insight on many that I was able to share at others....Tnet is the most incredible forum I have seen as far as divirsity and amazing helpful people that make you feel like family but that does not mean there is not info to be gleaned from folks that are not a part of this community. Most folks would not think twice about it being considered traitorous to listen to what an elderly gentleman shared about the past in an area at the local coffee shop yet if they hear the same info from the same gentleman on a different forum? Okay...will shut up before Jeff moves this to rants! rofl

Great internet search tips as well! Some of the folks with great information on their site regarding what you are looking for might not understand the mechanics of building a website with key words and such that bring the most search engines there but buried in their site they have some great treasures for you in your search for information. Just a thought! :wink:

Thanks again sweet man for sharing your knowledge with us here. You are a treasure yourself! :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Looks like a great site! Now someone fold the map so the coast is closer to me! lol Thanks again my dancing friend! ~hugs~

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Thanks for that update Kiros. no prizes needed, the site is the prize. :wink:

Can't wait to see if you can pull it together, could be great fun. :icon_pirat:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
awwww saw a new post and thought maybe there was a tip #8 that got posted while I was gone and they were responding to it! lol

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Type #8 Cyn, Try to befreind those people who are gainfully employed by your state to work in the state museum. Become an amateur Historian, but never let on your into MDing or treasure hunting. Even the smaller museums can be sources of increadible leads. Not only because of their ever changing displays but for the openess they seem to have for those of us who know how to ask the right questions. For instance here's an example of a recent conversation I had with the Head conservator of a very small local museum that was currently showing a display of mayan artwork.

Me; Were the mayans a type of indian tribe ?
HC; Yes they are considered to be genetically linked to the southwestern tribes of the americas.
Me; really then why do we not see more of their types of cultural developements within our own southwestern Idian tribes ?
HC; Such as ?
Me;Like why weren't our own Indian tribes into astrology like the Mayans ?
HC; Well your thinking about the whole relationship in reverse. You see the Mayans were probably descendants of our Southwestern tribes not the other way around.
Me; OHHHHH! So tell me where could I learn more about these relationships, I'm something of an amateur historian an this stuff is exactly what really gets me going.
Her; Have you tried the library ?
Me; of course but I'm sure you know their info is very limited and lacking.

This is where I've hooked her and begin to real her in.
HC; I have several books about the local Indian tribes and cultures, Oh ! And I'm sure I can call such 'n such at the local college he/she has an extensive library of research that I'm sure he or she'd be willing to share with you if your really that interested.
Me; Boy am I that would be awsome, I can't wait !

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip #9 It helps to have a bigger than normal interest in history if your going to be successful at Treasure hunting. With that interest you must have by now learned something about the differences that set each decade apart from the next. For instance, drive in dinners were really big during the 1950s. Try searching for info about these drive in returaunts and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find allot of others are interested in the same thing for different reasons. Some of these people have even formed clubs that keep records of where these establishments were during their heydays. In the 1920s it was the age of the speakeasy, prohibition, Bonny 'n Clyde etc... !940s U.S.O. clubs ? You get my gist, Now what was hot in 1870 ?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wooohoooo! Another tip added to the book! :thumbsup: Then he ends the tip with a question.....how did this turn into a test?? lol I found a very interesting website on America 1870-1879 to get some ideas as to what was hot in 1870. Hopefully I didn't flunk the test! rofl Here it is for others to look at as well! http://kclibrary.nhmccd.edu/19thcentury1870.htm

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
David's family has roots in the circus....I believe it was the Sell's family circus they had and they were quite popular but eventually sold out to PT Barnum if I remember correctly. Would be interesting if he was able to get more history on their family circus and maybe even find something having to do with that circus to keep. I do believe that would be one special treasure for him.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
The trick Cyn is to find out where they stopped, usually by train, and where exactly they would set up to perform in each town. Each spot could be a treasure trove of finds. :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread