The kid in the candy store

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I feel just like that proverbial kid in a candy store. Confronted with the results of five straight years of heavy research I can confidently say I'm site rich. In fact I'm so site rich that even on the remote chance that I should by some miracle live beyond 100 years I could never thoroughly hunt all the locations which I've uncovered. So my puzzle now is what to do next. My knee jerk reaction might be as childish as that proverbial Kid. I just wanna hunt each site a litlle, just enough to get a taste and then move on. I've searched somewhat for a hunting partner but find I'm just a confirmed bachelor when it comes to treasure hunting. If I wasn't I still doubt even with a partner we could cover this many sites. Another thing is that I've come to love the research as much as the hunting. Finding the sites and then confirming their value either through monetary value or historical finds is a gas. To do away with my winter time hobby of research would be a shame but what am I to do ? I know allot of you will say just give the sites away, but that would be very hard for me to do, not outta greed but really just curiosity and I suppose a little pride. Anyone else find this to be their sitiuation and if so have you found a way to deal. :P :-[

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Perhaps you can write a book on the basics of researching sites for those of us that are not as good at it as you are then just spend a bit of time at each site? Sounds like you are in a bit of a dilemna there! Congrats on the results of your hard work! and you still find time to dance for us.....amazing! :D

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I know my posts are long windid but that's the first time someone has suggested book writin. Well I guess you nebver noticed my spellin. And that's with the spel chek. ;) :D ;D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
MD Dog,

Go ahead, write a book. They have editors, agents, pubilshers, etc, that can proof read, suggest sentence structure, and all that jazz. Let us know when it is ready to be published.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol you can have someone else do the spell checking and such....you just gotta share the info and let them make it presentable to any that are too uppity to enjoy it just the way it is......I would take it either way myself! :D :D

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you can't hunt them all you can at least hunt all that you can. Good luck.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
What would you guys think of arranging T-Net hunts at some of the bigger sites ? That might be more work then I can Handle but maybe someone else would like to step up to the plate or at least wanna help out ?

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
What would you guys think of arranging T-Net hunts at some of the bigger sites ? That might be more work then I can Handle but maybe someone else would like to step up to the plate or at least wanna help out ?

I was just going to suggest this. It sounds like you have dedicated yourself to research and I would hate to see these sites lying dormant simply because you don't have enough time/people to hunt. I don't know exactly where you are located, but if you are within a 7 or 8 hours drive from Pittsburgh, PA, I would love to join you for a hunt. Let me know if you need any help getting it organized.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Not sure what you are thanking me for sweet man but you are welcome whatever it is! ;) Hope this all works out for ya!! I still want a book though!!! lol

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
You could always tell us the areas that you don't think you will be able to get to and we will probably find some one to hunt the areas. LOL :D Just kidding.

Writing a book sounds like a good idea. You could also sell copies of your research to interested parties, no sense in all your hard work going to waste.

Ray S

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I feel really sorry for you . How terrible it must be to have more good sites than you can hunt .
I'll remember you in my prayers . Maybe the lord will see fit to put some of your burden on me . ;D

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WV Hillbilly said:
I feel really sorry for you . How terrible it must be to have more good sites than you can hunt .
I'll remember you in my prayers . Maybe the lord will see fit to put some of your burden on me . ;D

One can always hope I guess. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Based on the responses I've gotten so far I don't really feel there's any serious interest in organizing group hunts at any of my sites. So thanx to those of you who have responded.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MD Dog said:
Based on the responses I've gotten so far I don't really feel there's any serious interest in organizing group hunts at any of my sites. So thanx to those of you who have responded.

Well, I don't live very close to "the middle of nowhere".

I'm on the "edge of nowhere" and it's a long commute. ::)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD, Dog; I'm new to detecting and would be so grateful if you would share just a few of your
favorite research techniques. Thank You ! Gregory, Santa Fe.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can relate to the obsessive researching. I check my daily newspapers and find sites, I can show you a couple dozen old house foundations, some parks, old closed schools. I'll never get to them all.

I post some of them. Heck..just because I post em or share em doesn't mean there's gonna be a stampede of folks to detect them.
As far as I know, maybe they have been detected.

Check out Jeff of Pa's posts...he's constantly posting good stuff. He seems to be a research guru. :D

Not to mention, I've detected places where guys have told me that they and or their buddies have detected and still pull out silver and odd ball stuff.

I was at a club hunt some years back and some guy was way behind a bunch of folks, taking his time, and pulled out a gold coin everyone else passed over....and it wasnt a planted coin!

Maybe just cherry pick the sites you have, then post your results with the locations so other folks can do a more thorough hunt. That way, you get your choicest picks and benifits of telling others.

You might get someone interested in helping you organize a hunt...have some patience, give an idea of what kind of sites your talking about. You dont need to give exact locations...just tease them into really wanting to do it. An old homesite from the 1800's where train robbers hung out...something really juicy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Al

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
This particular site I'm going to reveal, I was going to give to Kiros32 because he was the only one who seemed interested enough to offer to run a group hunt there so I'm going to tell everyone about it but only tell Kiros32 the facts, that should be interesting and fun. I hope anyone interested will contact Kiros and join together for a great time. :D

So back in the late 1700s there was a christian revival going on throughout what was then our civilized country. Tent meetings in open feilds became all the rage and were being held in small towns and cities alike. Some of these sites became very popular, so popular in fact that entire communities began to spring up around these tent revivals. These communities eventually were narrowed down to just a few really big places at select areas around the country. Now as normally happens in these types of events, there were more people interested in these events than just Christians. So many alterative religions saw what was happening in the Christian faith as church numbers began to swell. So they sought to duplicate the charismatic fervor in their own way with very little succes. But some groups who didn't have enough followers to stage their own event decided to just tag along with the Christian groups and set up shop on the outskirts of these swollen tent cities. Now as you can imagine many of these groups were the mediums, back to natureists, soothsayers, spritualists and the like. Well of course the "Christians" couldn't allow such things right on there door steps, especially when the preachers were in need of new material to preach against every day. So trouble ensued, and of course it went both ways, "so and so of the northern star spritualist church says he was attacked and accosted in the alleyway right down town in Richmond today." The local news rag would report, or "Mrs. Hoolabaloo fainted and fell straight out in the street today causing a ruckus with the Feanies horse carriage as the horses bolted at the sight. Mrs Hoolabaloo layed the blame for the whole incident squarely upon the shoulders of Madam Insight the downtown medium who according to Mrs. Hoolabaloo had placed a curse on her for refusing to pay for a negative palm reading." These types of reports proceeded the violence which ensued. Finally the local constabulary would usually step in to basically run the offending alternative groups outta town.

So here is where the story gets real interesting. One of the largest of these communities was established right here in W.N.Y. and when the local alternative groups were run outta town here they did something unique. They created their own community, settling the area in the 1780s and eventually incorporating their little town in 1889 on the shores of a lake. This communty has been thriving off the tourist trade ever since as many people flock to their town every spring, summer and fall. The entire town is run by the membership in a local spiritualist church, so any large group hunt I would think would require permission from this unique town board. Like I suggested to Kiros32 maybe a convention of MDers of a sort, staying in the campground or hotels. Thus spending more than a few dollars in return for the trouble. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread