what VDI does your old coin (pre 1900s) show up as?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
what VDI does your old coin (pre 1900's) show up as?

I'd like to know what the early coins ring up as. Things like old gold /silver coins, some stamped coins, small and large. What ever coins you have that are old to very old. I'm guessing high VDIs. I know some gold object ping in the low VDIs... (man I hate can slaw).

FWIW, I hit an old site that was between some business strip centers, that apparently has been untouched for many years (pretty old pecans there too). 2 Houses existed near here pre-1900s'. For 4 hours work, I got 12 cents and a bunch of can slaw that rang in tight, at anywhere between ~5-20 VDI.

Upvote 0

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: what VDI does your old coin (pre 1900's) show up as?

depends on what your swinging

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What coin?  Here's a whole bunch. As they go deeper thay may also shift one ot two units down the scale. And this scale is for a specific detector (the F-75). It's not a standardized measurement. Yu'll notice that for EVERY old coin there is some type of trash in the same range. T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

Attachments

• F75TIDScale.GIF
    F75TIDScale.GIF
    28.7 KB · Views: 292
  • F75TIDScale.GIF
    F75TIDScale.GIF
    28.7 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

bomber said:
depends on what your swinging

Sorry, I'm swinging a DFX. (didn't know VDIs differed all the much between machines).

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Thanks CP. I've been avoiding a lot of mid 20s to mid 60s. Especially, if they give off a lot of 'VDI spray'. Tight and strong VDIs I'll usually dig in this area. In anyones experience, is it unusual for coins to give a lot of 'VDI spray'?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P.,
That is one impressive chart. Looks like you got to know the F-75 real well. Do you like it? What are your impressions.

Ed D.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

differant machines have differant sized number ranges -- the more numbers there are then finer they "split hairs " --- thus the better they can rell the differance between pull tab and gold ring -- in theory at least -- a pulltab that reads 34 or 35 and a ring that reads 35 to say 36 in a 0 to 99 range machine -- might read 33 to 34 pulltab and 35 to 36 ring in a 0 to 199 model --due to the larger "spread" of numbers avialbile to classify its finds into-- of course many factors effect the VDI reading -- soil conditions --coin depth and angle --and its metal make up for starters . but there are "known" good coin number charts out there for each of the machines --- keep a record of your finds and record the numbers as you hit "pay dirt" -- thus making your own chart that takes your local conditions into account.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i think a tnetter(the beep goes on) has a chart of VDI #s for the DFX thats just what your looking for.maybe ask jeff if he could track it down or see if Beeps is around

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Born2Dtect said:
Charlie P.,
That is one impressive chart. Looks like you got to know the F-75 real well. Do you like it? What are your impressions.

Ed D.

I like it. It is "twitchy" but can be set lower if it gets annoying. There are several ways to "dummy it down" for quiet running but they invariably cost you depth. Very light, very fast. It's the first machine I've had with a display so I took the time to log everything I dug and ran it over every type coin I could find (many of those were laid on the ground in mylar flips, I admit). I'm a coin shooter - even when I'm in the woods I'm hoping for coins - but it seems to work great in all metal too. The VDI is very consistant and that's a Godsend in trashy parks. I've got so I don't use much discrimination at all but let the meter tell me what's garbage and what's not - but I still dig a lot to be on the safe side.

Since I bought mine two members of my local club bought F-75's.

I got 50 hours on my first set of AA's (4) and they were still reading 3/4 good.

Here's an indicator - I hunt the same park on my lunchbreak at work almost every seasonable day it's not raining since 2003. In the same spots I went over multiple times with my Musketeer (no slouch of a detector) I'm digging deeper and older coins. I even replaced my Lesche (7" pointed blade) because the ears meant I had to dig wider holes to get the 6" & deeper coins. That impressed me.

I just added a SunRay FX-1 probe, another $180, and I would not have added good money to bad if I was not happy with the Fisher. The newer ones are weather-sealed better and I just got mine back from Fisher (they upgraded the old units for $50 along with a few other changes to grip & battery box).

I have never hunted a beach or highly mineralized soil, though, so my range is limited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread