This digger is AWESOME!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
I bought this digger about two months ago, but it has been so darn cold I have only used it to dig about 9 holes...until today! It was sunny and nice out (as you can see)
pic from truck.jpg

so I went to an 1880's homestead. The ground was still partially frozen, but that didn't matter with this puppy!!!
pic from truck.jpg

I did things with it that I KNOW would break others (I have been through about 8 of them so far...all different models, none like this one)! It's the "True Temper Planter Buddy" 7 in 1. They sell at wally world for 14 somethin'...I got mine at Lowes for 17 somethin' (always). The 7 in 1 represents "Trowel/transplanter blade for planting, Serrated edge for cutting open bags of mulch or soil, Sharpened straight edge for cutting sod
Twine cutter, Weeder tip,Poly tamper for tamping down stakes, markers, and fertilizer spikes, and 12 inch measurement marks."
For me it means, ripping through roots, shoving it through rocky areas, prying the cold frozen Missouri soil, tearing a plug in like three seconds, flat end for better application of force, cutting grass off the top of the plug to find shallow targets, and fighting crime! lol!
I also never leave home without my all plastic POS shovel, good for breaking when you need them most! about 89 cents at Target (pronounced tarjay).
true temper.jpg

Just thought I would share that with you guys, I love it and I think it's another good tool for the arsenal.

~Tom

Attachments

• plastic POS.jpg
    plastic POS.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,316
Upvote 0

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. It si a great digger. I bought one after reading all the posts on here about it. I went back and bought 2 more for back-up because they always seem to be sold out of them where I am

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Oops, didn't realize there were more posts about this...then again, there's like a million on this forum if you add them all up...darn it, maybe the mods know how to move it, or maybe the new guys like me can get some benifit...

~Tom

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I made a post once about it a while back. The only way you know if there were previous posts with it is if you become a Charter Member and them search for them. One of these days I will, when I have the extra money to spend on it.

But back to that *amazing* Planter Buddy... that thing is such a solid digging & cutting tool! I just sharpened mine and ground down the cutting tip to an edge over Christmas Break with some of my dad's tools that he uses for his tree work business. It's great that it's only about 14 bucks at Lowes... makes it a cheap replace, in case I happen to accidentally leave it somewhere! I highly doubt I'm gonna break the thing. I've really gotten at some of this packed Missouri soil... with all those blasted rocks... and the thing just tends to pry the rocks up like they're nothing.
I really need to get an all-plastic trowel though, because I usually try to dig with my Planter Buddy, and it doesn't get much soil out of the hole after I've got it plugged. I'll have to go to Tarjay (lol) and pick one up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one giving this tool a good writeup and proper recognition!
It really is something else... 8)

Bran <><

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Kellyco sells a digger called the "Gator" for $35.00, but I got one for $14.00 on ebay through kellyco's ebay site "ardvarkdetectors". The listing said it was used, but the one I received was brand new. Awesome deal considering the bad rap kellyco usually gets.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, the digger is tops and at 14.00 you can afford two and won't cry if it breaks, if it ever does, mine has been through the mill and is still as strong as the day I bought it. I have found it to be just as good as the Lesche at less than half the price, but it could stand to be a little longer.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool deal ! I just got one 2 weeks ago. I finally bent my Gator digging tool pretty good. I had seen most of the other posts about it. It seemed like a good deal. I haven't used it much, the beach has been looking too good.

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I may be watching Wal Mart to see if I can grab up one as well. Just incase I need a backup.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of these also...had it about a year now and still working fine. godisnum1 said one thing that needs to be done to it though..You gotta sharpen the ends..makes it go in the ground a lot easier. I picked mine up at Lowe's.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stringfrenzy said:
Looks like I may be watching Wal Mart to see if I can grab up one as well. Just incase I need a backup.

Wal-mart doesn't carry them, only Lowes.

SC_hunter said:
I have one of these also...had it about a year now and still working fine. godisnum1 said one thing that needs to be done to it though..You gotta sharpen the ends..makes it go in the ground a lot easier. I picked mine up at Lowe's.

Actually, between the tips of the tool, it was already moderately sharpened! I just sharpened up the very tips on the outside edges of them.

Bran <><

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I bought one at Lowes too a month ago. I'm not strong enough to push it into the ground. I'm going to get my son to sharpen the ends on it and see how it goes. It is one sturdy tool. I have a Lesche and I really like it but wish it was wider. It only scoops out small amounts of dirt. I bought another digging tool at Lowes I love. It is wide based and has secgrated sides. It is sturdy and cost less than the 7 in one.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

They just added them to the inventory. You can find them online, and, at some stores. Wish they had it when I bought mine!

~Tom

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ashleysflyr said:

They just added them to the inventory. You can find them online, and, at some stores. Wish they had it when I bought mine!

~Tom

Really?? That's pretty sweet! I'm gonna have to check for them next time I'm there (I'm in college, so I spend alot of time at Wal-mart... lol)

Bran <><

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got mine at home depot.....did break one last year on a hunt with Civilman,but one phone call and 6 days later recieved a new one in the mail no questions asked ;D

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
...as a know-it-all-engineer, let me spew my rhetoric and say, if you do sharpen it, I would recommend sharpening it as no more than a 40-45 dgree angle. This will keep the edge durable the longest without dulling again. Also, use a metal file, not a grinder, as the metal will heat up and you'll lose the temper (if it is tempered). ...and oh yea, I have one too. ;)

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
You guys are great, I love the humor in here! I hope to get the chance to try out this digger again tomorrow...we shall see!

~Tom

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golddigger, I bent my Kellyco Gator tool and found out it has a lifetime warranty. Just email customer service and tell them yours bent and they will send you a new one. But, the new one bent too, so I got a different kind now! M ::) nty

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya these tools rock! I have had mine now for over a year and has worked flawlessly! I also picked up the sheath that they had that was right next to it (The sheath was made for pruning sheers, but it fit perfect and works great!)

HH

PTP

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull-tab Parson said:
Ya these tools rock! I have had mine now for over a year and has worked flawlessly! I also picked up the sheath that they had that was right next to it (The sheath was made for pruning sheers, but it fit perfect and works great!)

HH

PTP

Can you post a pic of the sheath? Because I looked for one, but they didn't have any sheaths around the hand tools... and I was in too much of a hurry to detect to try and search around. :-\

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread