4 11" and need a light weight MD...suggestions?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4' 11" and need a light weight MD...suggestions?

Magic, you will find that most all the detectors has adjustable shafts. I have several detectors and my son loves the ease of the Ace 250. Lightweight and turn and go at a very reasonable price...right around 212 bucks more or less. Good luck and hope to see some finds from you in the near future.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

check out cinder2007 thread on ace or silvermax.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Ace is a great low price detector, but also check into the Minelab X-terra Series. They are around 3 to 5 pounds.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just figured I would put these pics up so you can see what the face of each looks like. Btw, Umax about 2.2 pounds and the Ace 250 about 2.7..Good luck and just remember...Have fun with whatever you choose.

Attachments

• aceandumax (Small).jpg
    aceandumax (Small).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 390

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will open a can of worms..but I agree with you. Swampfox has the umax and the ace 250...ask him which one he uses all the time....it is the ace. Tesoro has a lifetime warranty but most all the larger company's want satisfied customers.

OP
OP
Magic Fingers

Magic Fingers

I just caught the part about how much each weighs. I wonder if .5 lb will make a difference after a few hours....lol

I am not too sure what I will be finding here in Montana. My kids found a few old empty homesteads when we first moved here and brought back lots of old bottles. I will be hitting them up for sure.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

The Tesoro Compadre and Silver uMax will work better in a wider variety of soils than the Ace, by far.

The Ace is really a poor idea for Montana, you will not like the squawks, shallow coin detection depth you will often get, and the extra beeps and warbling it makes because of the high iron soils in much of the Western USA. The F-2 will work better than the Ace here too, not by much, but it certainly does handle our bad soil better. It even has an expanded numerical system to isolate nickels from pulltabs, which the Aces do not.

Furthermore, it pinpoints and cherry-pickes better than any Ace and has larger numbers and dispalys on the screen. It weighs about the same, and has been delivered with an additional 4" coil too so far, along with the standard 8" coil. One thing that sets the F-2 and F-4 above the others in those price ranges is that if you swing them a bit faster they will produces better depth in highly mineralized soil. It uses an older style circuitry that allows for this behavior, and most of us old-timers know this by now. The Aces do not have this capability, and in fact will miss targets if searching too fast, just like many Minelabs do.

Experienced detectorists there are supposed to already know all of this, but sometimes they do not..

The x-series Mind=slabs will do ok, but not quite as well as the lower-priced Tesoros in many of the same soil situations. They cost a lot more money too. I have not to this day ever seen a detector that finds as many coins on these nasty high black sand/high salt beaches here in Oregon, as the cheaper priced Tesoros do. The F-2 and F-4 remain to be tested more before any conclusive data can be learned, or accumulated.

Your type of soil is almost the exact same as it is here in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, California, and New Mexico. Soil nearer the eastern seaboard is almost an exact opposite, and the rules of deployment and employment change dramatically. What works well in Ohio or Illinois may very well not work well here in Oregon at all, nor in Montana. On a scale of 1-10 most eastern soil run a 5 or a 6 or even higher on the Fisher Scale, but the soil here in the iron belt runs from a 1 to a 3, more than twice the magnetite (high iron) content. Not a good thing for an Ace 250 or 150.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Tesoro.

I have a DeLeon; it is very light. (about 2.9 lbs)

Don't forget:

TESORO'S LIFETIME WARRANTY

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I know the Fisher F2 will hit on a very small gold picker at 6" in an air test.It's very light also.$199 w/2 coils.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Magic,

If you are just hunting land and not water, I would reccommend the Tesoro Compadre. If memory serves me correct, it weighs 2.2 pounds and has one knob operation. I use it as my primary land machine and can swing it all day. Hope it helps.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

i would look at the fisher f-2 also 5 yr warranty and an extra coil, the minelab xterras are under 3lbs, the extra weight makes a big differance, and as well as how they ballance out, good luck on your choice, all these machines listed are pretty good

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer

F2 weighs 2.2 pounds, lot of MD for the price, just got one myself. Great choice I think, I deal with them all day long at work, can't keep them on the shelf.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tesoro Silver uMax!

HH

PTP

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

oh......... yes most detectors have an adjustable shaft.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

My daughter is a shorty also and loves the Prizm 2....its a big bang for the price and is light \weight and very easy to learn....plus it has a built in pinpointer and really finds the stuff.....I can swing it all day and not get a sore shoulder....I really like it alot.....I have a Bounty Hunter....which would work grerat in Montana...but its heavier and takes some learning to detect the tones....but it will go deep.....

OP
OP
Magic Fingers

Magic Fingers

EasyMoney said:
The Tesoro Compadre and Silver uMax will work better in a wider variety of soils than the Ace, by far.

The Ace is really a poor idea for Montana, you will not like the squawks, shallow coin detection depth you will often get, and the extra beeps and warbling it makes because of the high iron soils in much of the Western USA. The F-2 will work better than the Ace here too, not by much, but it certainly does handle our bad soil better. It even has an expanded numerical system to isolate nickels from pulltabs, which the Aces do not.

Your type of soil is almost the exact same as it is here in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, California, and New Mexico. Soil nearer the eastern seaboard is almost an exact opposite, and the rules of deployment and employment change dramatically. What works well in Ohio or Illinois may very well not work well here in Oregon at all, nor in Montana. On a scale of 1-10 most eastern soil run a 5 or a 6 or even higher on the Fisher Scale, but the soil here in the iron belt runs from a 1 to a 3, more than twice the magnetite (high iron) content. Not a good thing for an Ace 250 or 150.

Thank you easyM, I had not thought of that point. We do have lots of iron. We have an iron filter for our water too.

OP
OP
Magic Fingers

Magic Fingers

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am having knee surgery next week and will use the down time to narrow down which MD I plan on getting. You might see me on here a lot that week....hehehe.

This is an awesome place and everyone is so friendly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions