Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Steve,
In my opinion if you want to go deep in a nice lawn it might work just as well or better to cut a 3 sided trap door. If you use a plug cutter you will just have more stuff to pack around with you. Also, they work well for cutting a plug in the sod, but you still have to dig to depth through the little hole they make, then have to mess around getting the plug and soil pushed back out of the cutter and back in the hole. It takes time and effort to fool around with them. It can look real nice when you shove the plug back in the hole, but by cutting all the grass roots in the plug it will usually turn yellow in a few days when the grass starts dying.
By cutting a three sided trap door you can cut it big enough to dig the amount of dirt it takes to get to your deep target. You can pile the dirt on a drop cloth to be dumped back in the hole when you have recovered your target. By leaving a hinge on one side of your plug the grass has a much better chance of surviving. If you make sure to cut straight down around the three sides of the plug It also helps keep the grass growing.
Some people cut a 'cone' when they cut a plug. Not only does this make the grass die quicker, a lawn mower will suck the cones right out of the hole. Cutting a plug in a nice lawn takes some careful effort and skill. I really do believe that a three sided trap door is the quickest and most efficient way to get to a deep target.
When I cut a plug in a lawn I make it long and narrow. I start close to the spot that I pinpointed. That is the first end I cut, then down both sides. When I flop the plug over the target will either be in the end of the plug, or still in the hole. The separation I get between the end of the plug and the hole gives me room to run my coil over both and I very quickly know where to go for my target.
This doesn't answer your question about the best plug cutter on the market, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. With a good digging tool you can open a trap door plug in just a few seconds, flop it back, dig some dirt out of the hole and onto a drop cloth, recover your target and be closed up in just a short time. Of course, best not to work nice lawns in the dry season. Good luck... HH Highwater

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the best I've used that will cut 8" deep.

Made by Trans-Missippi Electronics

Attachments

• HPIM0173s.jpg
    HPIM0173s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,322
  • HPIM0183s.jpg
    HPIM0183s.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,034
  • HPIM0173s.jpg
    HPIM0173s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,826
  • HPIM0183s.jpg
    HPIM0183s.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,865

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can look real nice when you shove the plug back in the hole, but by cutting all the grass roots in the plug it will usually turn yellow in a few days when the grass starts dying.

These plugging tools almost have to be jumped on to push them down and rocks will stop them cold. The way they kill the grass in the plug makes them a hazard to parks and makes us look bad for the damage they do. It is best to cut a 3 sided plug like Charlie says and any dirt you remove you can place it on a piece of cloth to dump it all back in the hole when your done. It makes a very clean area when you leave.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

Well, it's always been me, a Lesche digging tool, a three-sided trap door, and a drop cloth. I was just wondering if there was a better way, but looks like I'm already doing it. Except I'd better get one of those long Wilcox scoops.

Thanks!

Steve Herschbach

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the Lesche and use mine a lot, especially where roots are involved, but once you get past 6" deep the pointy tip and "ears" mean you have to open up a much larger hole to keep going. The flat-nosed digger above is a lot better in parks with deep coins IMHO.

The park I hunt gets flooded regularly and I have found 1996 dimes at 8". That's just not fair. :'(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the method I have found as the best method for recovering a target, it is really amazing how there is no visible sign when I am done. Folks, I am not kidding this thing is amazing and when done it is next to impossible to see where I recovered the target.

Cut a small hole, and I mean small hole, and then use the Ez-dig-r. I am cutting a surface hole no wider then maybe 1 1/4 to 2 inches at the most.......I use the DetectorPro Pocket uniprobe to locate the target and the Ez-Dig-R to remove it.

ezdigrII.jpg

http://ezdigr.com/indexD.html

detectorpropocketuniprobe.jpg

This probe can locate a target anywhere from 3 to 5 inches deep in the ground. By adjusting the threshold you can adjust how close you can be before it sounds off......

I know I am still a newbie, so it may not carry much weight, but if you want to detect a park and leave no sign you were there, this is the way to go..................I have had a park ranger walk up behind me, watch me dig in the sod, then turn and walk away with out saying a word to me about what I was doing. Yes, I knew he was there and I was waiting for the "what the h3ll you think your doing?" comment, but it never came. ;D

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Treasure_Hunter said:
Here is the method I have found as the best method for recovering a target, it is really amazing how there is no visible sign when I am done. Folks, I am not kidding this thing is amazing and when done it is next to impossible to see where I recovered the target.

Cut a small hole, and I mean small hole, and then use the Ez-dig-r. I am cutting a surface hole no wider then maybe 1 1/4 to 2 inches at the most.......I use the DetectorPro Pocket uniprobe to locate the target and the Ez-Dig-R to remove it.

ezdigrII.jpg

detectorpropocketuniprobe.jpg

This probe can locate a target anywhere from 3 to 5 inches deep in the ground. By adjusting the threshold you can adjust how close you can be before it sounds off......

I know I am still a newbie, so it may not carry much weight, but if you want to detect a park and leave no sign you were there, this is the way to go..................I have had a park ranger walk up behind me, watch me dig in the sod, then turn and walk away with out saying a word to me about what I was doing. Yes, I knew he was there and I was waiting for the "what the h3ll you think your doing?" comment, but it never came. ;D
I agree the uniprobe is the best way to go in groomed areas I just use a screwdriver with mine. Dan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
google ez digger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all great advice, I have waiting for a post just like this. The flap method is very good advice. All these ideas work when the grass is green, but any advice on digging in dry grass in like is everywhere here?

Attachments

• IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,757
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,666

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherm, there are areas I hunt where a common garden spade is not a problem, and there are city parks that I would be kicked out of if I used one. The Ez Dig R leaves no signs when I am done and allows me to dig spots where I normally couldn't.

I would use my Beach Brute scoop if I could....... :)

aslterp7

Nov 1, 2009
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, automaxx pinpointer, garrett pro pinpointer
ez-dig-r
I searched for it and found it no where. On ebay it was not there either. Hmmm?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, I can no longer find it either. I bought mine on EBay, and can not imagine land hunting with out it. I sent an email to the seller to see if he still sells them, I will let you know if he does.

I have both the EZ-Dig-R and EX-Dig-R II and the probe.

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Like stated above, coin pluggers only work well in moist, rock free, soils. They have their place but that place is very limited.

People with bad backs and knees use a stand up plugger made in California. I don't have the info on it right now but the guy sells on ebay. I've tried it and it works well for shallow coins (down to about 5 inches deep). But again, in super dry ground they're all worthless.

And too, as overstated here, the plugger kills sod. And it can really murder a find that's hit by the edge of the digger tube. I ruined several old coins and a valuable token with one.

Basically pluggers aren't the way to go...period!

Hunting deep without doing much damage to the sod is an art learned by doing. But digging deep holes with NO damage to the sod is impossible. I say this only after almost 45 years of THing experience. Any time one cuts sod and peels it back there is some (be it ever so small) damage. After a week of dry weather the nasty brown color will show up. The idea is to keep that brown area as small as possible.

teddy

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Did anyone mention that some folks are known to give a shot with their water bottle when they close up a flap ?
That would certainly help if it were dry.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you if they work in your soil. It must be sandy.

I don't see either as cutting it hereabouts on the hardned clay and clay/loam glacial soils we have once they dry out in June & thereafter until October or so. It's easier to cut a plug and lift straight up than try and lever out hard packed soil.

I bent this.

Attachments

• Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,965

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread