3Khz vs. 15KHz. When do you use which? (DFX users)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I've been using best data ever since I got the DFX. I'm wondering however, when do you switch to 3KHz only? I'm guessing in high trash where only coins are desired? What about in low trash when only coins are desired?

Also, Correlate..., again, I'm guessing high trash where you want to cherry pick?

As of late, when I'm in high trash, I'll keep it in best data, but discriminate a lot more VDIs, rather than switch to another mode. I'm thinking now, if I were in a hurry to beat the rain clouds (last week), and if I were in med-high trash, I should probably switch to correlate or 3KHz and cherry pick the coins... so I don't get wet.

what are your thoughts, opinions?

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have own a DFX for the last 5 years and always use the "Coralate" mode.
I believe that the machine is less erratic in this mode, over the "best data" mode.
whenever I used "best data" it seems to chirp a lot more, in the other it seemed to be more
stable.

Corralate seems to me to be that the machine uses both frequencies then checks them both
for data, and if the data seems consistant with both, then you get the signal....
if not you don't...

good luck..

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3Khz will give you more depth on everything but small gold. I use mixed mode to make sure I dont miss deep targets.

on my test garden a quarter at 12 inches depth is found easily with 3khz and not with 15khz

Gilbert

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a copy of "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster, highly recommended. There is also a lot of information at www.dfxonly.com. Personally, I use Correlate most of the time but there are conditions where using a single frequency will be an advantage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread