Easy, deep seeking detector?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detectors that can search that deep are special units and can only find large items like Buckets, Barrels, etc. They can't find coins or jewelry.

I've used the Garrett two box set up and it is easy to use, but again it is used for larger items.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sandman's right. The only detectors that can go a "few feet down", are machines like a 2-box machine, that is specifically made for finding large objects (soda can sized and bigger). Those machines can easily get a toaster-sized object several feet down, but can not pick up individual coins?

Actually, even a standard coin detector can reach "several feet down", if the object is big enough. I've waved my Minelab Explorer at my Toyota Tundra, and can pick it up from several feet away ::) What type objects are you looking for?

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
I'm sorry. My first post wasn't clear at all. I'd like to find relics. I guess I'm an odd woman. I'd be thrilled to dig up a bucket. And I already have the BH for coins and jewelry. My son gave it to me. I do dig up lots of fun junk with it, but it wasn't my choice.

Which Garrett do you have, Sandman?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll tell you, if you like digging everything, including buckets, you could do much worse for a lot more investment than the simple Minelab Musketeer. It's a 100% audio and analog unit but reads deep and is very robust and reliable. My biggest complaint is that it LOVES aluminum and without a VDI is sometimes hard to determine a bottlecap from a quarter. The circuitry gives a true audio (as opposed to an alarm or ring tone) so it is possible to deduce out the odd shaped items. But that could be jewelry so I always dig it anyway. :D

Super simple to use. I could have you hunting and finding goodies in five minutes, but, like any good detectors, learning the finer points will take hours and hours.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Cibola, or the Vaquero if ground mineralization is a problem. Both are simple to use and and proven relic finders. Plus the lifetime warranty and service are outstanding.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well any ..PI..detector Pulse Induction will go deeper than any VLF detector but if you like to dig you will be digging with a..PI..........Then Garrett has the.. Master Hunter CX Plus..that has the two box set up but then it will go down 15 to 20 feet if you really like to dig big items..............................==Jim==

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I think Charlie has the right idea, the Muskie would be a deep one with the right coil, a 12 incher, and so would the Sovereign. Neither will cause you to have to mortgage the farm to purchase them either. The only problem though is that they are a bit heavy for most women.

On the other hand many, many people get really good depth with a Tesoro Silver uMax and a large eleptical coil and some swear by them for relic hunting, and the whole thing weighs barely more than half what the Muskie or Sov weighs.

An old tin bucket could be found in moderate soil 2 feet deep, with the two Minelabs above getting another foot or so, but I've dug such things before and believe me, 3 feet is a lot deeper than we think it is. Iron objects can be found at unbelieveable depths with even cheap detectors, because iron or steel produce a covalent bonding with other minerals in the soils. The bonding cause a large cloud of false target appearance, sometimes twice the size of the actual target. This is only true with iron and steel though, not with semi-precious metals.

I located an old car fender in the ground with my cz-70 3 to 4 feet deep in some real nasty highly mineralized soil. It had a factory 8" coil on it. It seemed to be almost 8 feet long, but it was only 3-4 feet long instead.

On a site in GB (Gary's?) I saw where the Silv uMax w it's large coil was the only detector/coil combination that could actually find a dime-sized English coin at 10" in mild soil, including a Minelab Explorer, DFX, etc.

In the real world, 10" on ANY dime-sized coin is a really impressive thing. Relics would be found equally as deep and deeper, depending on the size of the target.

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
I just want to thank you all for your helpful input. It helped me sort out and understand all the info I've read. I was overloaded when I originally posted. I think I'm leaning toward a Tesoro, though a good deal might change my mind. I'm off to shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread