Still trying to decide what detector to buy narrowed it down to three.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Hello all. I will be buying a new detector at the end of April, when I return from the Philippines and have narrowed it down to three choices. They are the Garrett gti 2500, the Minelab Sovereign Gt and the Tesoro tiger shark. I had originally planned on buying a dfx but after their recent upgrade that wasn't and upgrade I decided to pass. I hunt beaches down to the wet sand and shallow water. I also hunt parks, ball fields and other land sites. Due to research I have heard the Gt is excellent for both beach and land hunting and have heard little negative remarks about it. The 2500 I have also researched and have heard great things about it on land and beaches and so so in wet sand. The only thing I found negative about the tiger shark was that while excellent in fresh water many think it is hard to use in salt water. Wife says I can only buy one so when I return I will go to a local metal detector store and try each one of these out. Any thoughts or suggestion, regarding these three detectors only, would be appreciated. thanks and HH Ted

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only comment on the one I know. I have 2 Sovereign GTS and both have the WOT coil on them. It is an excellent detector, and really works well on salt water beaches. One of my GTs has been customized and made waterproof. It has become my primary water detector so far. I have an Excal, and save it for when the water is too rough to work the WOT coil, but yet I still want to get in the water.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thadious, I have had my Tiger Shark for 6 months. I have only used it in salt water and have had no problems whatsoever. Finds haven't been great, due to lack of depositors, but I look forward to getting back into the water with it.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive always been a fan of the GT as well. Its all sound which is something everyone needs to learn to hunt by. It can be hip mounted as well and is really deep. You might take a look at the F75 by Fisher as well. It was put together by a very tallented group.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can only fill in about the GTI 2500. It is good but in Salt water I had some problems with the salt.
Though in fresh water it has no problems. And inland hunting if a breeze.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Th GT would be a great machine. Might want to check out the X-Terra 70 also. I'm hearing really good things about them with their dedicated beach mode. It seems to me that Garrett has not kept up technology wise with some of the other brands on the market. You decide, your going to be the one to use whatever you buy. And as everyone says, sometimes it's who's swinging the detector, not the detector that determines who is getting the best finds. I'm a master in training myself; still have a lot to learn.

Good hunting, John K

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have a tigershark,it's a water machine,not a park detector.For what you want I would say go with the GT,just don't get the electronics wet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread