Whites coinmaster 4000-D Series 3 discriminator - Need help!!

diggin in Indiana

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
Anybody out there had experience using a Whites coinmaster 4000-D Series 3 metal detector? I bought mine a few weeks ago and plan to start using it shortly. It has the intensity meter on the handle with 6 adjusting knobs. Tuner,Ground adjustment,Mode,Volume,GEB, abd Disc. with a 8" standard coil.

How deep will it go when adusted properly? The guy I bought it from says he left it on normal settings all the time and had good luck with coins found 5" deep. What would be the normal settings? He said he dug up everything. This seems to be a sensitive piece of equipment and I anticipate that you would have better luck in your findings if the detector was tuned and ground adjusted properly.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's got the solid white loop, right? If so, that's the Whites series from pre 1989 or '90-ish. There were improvements dones to all their lineup starting in the very late 1980s/early '90s. I think you have the predesessors to them. Depending on what/where you're intending to hunt, it'll still do the job. It just won't be as competitive, depth-wise etc... as current machines.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still have my Coinmaster 3000 which, by todays standards, is just a toy. I struggled with ground balance if i used anything above the ground disc. setting. I don't know why I keep it....maybe it's like your first love.

I moved up to the 6000Di Pro not long after and I loved that machine. Nice depth, easily 8" on most coins and rarely had to change from the triangled areas recommended by the factory. I'm sorry I sold that thing.

I own a 6000 Series 2 now along with my DFX.

The 6000 is, from my understanding, not that much different from the 4000 with maybe a few changes in appearance and function. I think you should do pretty good at 4"-6" on coins with it. Maybe get lucky and hit some deeper, depending on the soil.
Al

OP
OP
D

diggin in Indiana

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
Tom_in_CA said:
That's got the solid white loop, right? If so, that's the Whites series from pre 1989 or '90-ish. There were improvements dones to all their lineup starting in the very late 1980s/early '90s. I think you have the predesessors to them. Depending on what/where you're intending to hunt, it'll still do the job. It just won't be as competitive, depth-wise etc... as current machines.

Thanks Tom for your info.

OP
OP
D

diggin in Indiana

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
deepskyal said:
I still have my Coinmaster 3000 which, by todays standards, is just a toy. I struggled with ground balance if i used anything above the ground disc. setting. I don't know why I keep it....maybe it's like your first love.

I moved up to the 6000Di Pro not long after and I loved that machine. Nice depth, easily 8" on most coins and rarely had to change from the triangled areas recommended by the factory. I'm sorry I sold that thing.

I own a 6000 Series 2 now along with my DFX.

The 6000 is, from my understanding, not that much different from the 4000 with maybe a few changes in appearance and function. I think you should do pretty good at 4"-6" on coins with it. Maybe get lucky and hit some deeper, depending on the soil.
Al

Basically, what settings did you use on your 300 for hunting ?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...ancient history and trying to joggle my memory. I just went down and blew some dust off it. I kept the disc setting right below nails. The sensitivity was at the far right of the normal range. The other adjustment was for ground balancing...

It was a bear ground balancing it even at that low of disc. I suspect maybe some factory issue from back when it was new, but it was my first machine, i didnt have a puter back in them days, and I just thought that was the norm for operating. I just thought everywhere I went was too high mineralization. Now I'm pretty sure it was the machine itself.

Only 4 knobs of that sucker so maybe a bit diff that your 4000.
Al

OP
OP
D

diggin in Indiana

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
deepskyal said:
Wow...ancient history and trying to joggle my memory. I just went down and blew some dust off it. I kept the disc setting right below nails. The sensitivity was at the far right of the normal range. The other adjustment was for ground balancing...

It was a bear ground balancing it even at that low of disc. I suspect maybe some factory issue from back when it was new, but it was my first machine, i didnt have a puter back in them days, and I just thought that was the norm for operating. I just thought everywhere I went was too high mineralization. Now I'm pretty sure it was the machine itself.

Only 4 knobs of that sucker so maybe a bit diff that your 4000.
Al

Al, thanks for the info. I'll try to ground balance it and go out hunting when the weather clears up here. I have lots of places that I need to hunt, so I hope I can have some luck.

Merrill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions