Ace 250? Good or Great???

devan24

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2008
Hi, I'm down in South Africa and a collector of coins, I am consedering buying a metal detector to spark a new hobby and only get confused
with all the models out there, please help!

I will concentrate 90.00% of my efforts to find coins, gold, silver, bronz any and all coins! and the other 10.00% will be for jewellery hunting
on beaches and parks.

Please tell me what I can expect from the ace 250 and what it's best at finding. I will mostly use it in parks, lawns, beaches the usual places.

kind regards and many thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I own the ACE 250. I bought it after a lot of research, and I like it a lot! Haven't found much with it yet, but I am just learning. From what I have been told, if you hunt really trashy areas (areas witha lot of buried junk like bottle caps) then you might want to also buy the sniper coil. It is definitely on my list! I also have a pinpointer on my list of future purchases.

The ACE WILL find coins. It has a very distinctive tone when it thinks it has a coin. Is it as good as the models that cost $1,000? Probably not, but it is an EXCELLENT entry level machine that will do a LOT. The two biggest draw backs are using it in heavily mineralized soil and near very salty water, though I hear that if you turn the sensitivity way down at the beach it helps.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would say its a good machine. i like mine and i found a lot with it but there are better machines out there for sure. its real good for the money though. :wink:

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mine...it's not as good as some of the higher priced ones for keeping out the trash, but I like to dig everything anyway. I found my 1893 Indian cent last year 8 inches down with no problems :D

I think the ONLY thing I would change is that it has no volume control! That's taken care of by the volume control on my headphones, but when I'm not wearing them...the non controllable volume on the machine sure attracts spectators :wink: which are sometimes welcome, other times a little distracting.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
You will find it works pretty good at the beach in dry sand, but wet sand is another story. It just plain doesn't like it. For the money, it's a darn good machine. I bought an X-Terra 70 about 6 months after getting my 250 and have not used the 250 since. I keep it around for the kids or friends who want to try their hand at metal detecting. If you can afford the X-Terra 70, it is a far better machine, especially in wet sand and for finding small gold. Much easier to ID targets with also with greater depth. For the beginner or someone who wants to keep their investment low until they find out if they really like metal detecting, the 250 is the best bang for the buck. It's a pretty good coin getter. Is it a good or great machine ? I'd say a very good one for the money spent. You might want to pick up the 5" sniper coil for those trashy areas. I don't have one, but people who do seem to really like them. They are pretty reasonably priced.

Good hunting, John K

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I bought a 250 but changed my mind within 24 hours and canceled the order. It looks like a fun machine but the factor that changed my mind is that you can't ground balance the machine, it's automatic and being automatic may make it fail at times due to the ground you're detecting. So, at first I was going to buy a Bounty Hunter Land Star because it features a separate Ground Balance knob which allows you a little more flexibility. I didn't buy the Bounty Hunter, which can be had for about the same money as the 250, I bought a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 which also has a separate GB knob. Comparison shopping is your best bet, after you set a maximum amount you're willing to spend.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Seems to be some misunderstanding about the way the ACE works, but that is just my opinion. I have actually found that the ACE reacts very fast to a target, not slowly, it just reacts on the back side of the coil. The ACE 250 also actually pinpoints VERY well, especially for a $200 machine, you just have to learn how to do it. I have gotten a lot better at it, and I can tell exactly where my target lies under the coil almost every time. High salt and mineralization CAN be a problem yes, and I have researched that as well. The ACE is a VERY sensitive machine, and the problem most people have is cranking the sensitivity up too high. Having it at a decent level is important.

Like any other detector, you have to take the time to learn the machine. The ACE is an excellent detector for its price. I haven't used many, but I HAVE researched them. For an entry level machine, the ACE is one of the best choices. If you take the time to learn its significant differences from other machines, you should do well with it. As far as it being "fact" that X,Y, and Z machines are better than the ACE, I would need to see proof. Links, research, studies. If it is "fact" it should be easy to verify and test the data.

OP
OP
D

devan24

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2008
Hi,

I want to thank you all for your input, this will help me alot with my decision making! I want to start with this hobby and
are only prepared to spend so much money (+-300.00US$ ) that's already alot in South African terms for a hobby!!!

Once again,

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

regards,

Devan

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ace is good but the operator makes it great

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I would say the ace 250 is a good detector for the money. Ive heard complaints about its pinpointing accuracy but mine pinpoints very good. Also Ive found that my ace can find the deep coins. I not thrilled with the way it discriminates between junk and treasures but thats where your higher priced detectors will kick butt.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
It is not that I "doubt" you, but you state things that are facts, and back it up with the fact that you do R&D work for nuclear systems. This still makes your "opinion" and not fact. Fact is some thing that can be proved with good research and scientific tests, and decent ones at that. When I see the links to such tests, I will buy them as facts, and until then, I will take it as opinion.

You state that the ACE will not work well in soil with high mineralization, and yet it does still make those finds. I can not say if it works as well as other models, as I have not used them. I have found no problems with the speed of the ACE however, or its recovery time.

You seem to like to crap all over the ACE. I guess I can understand that, since you were once a paid employee of White's metal detectors. However the ACE is a good machine for the money, there is too much evidence to deny that. It will work in highly mineralized soil if you know how to work it, and from what I hear it will also work in high salt beaches, if you know how to work it. These areas are not its best, but it WILL work.

Manual ground balancing may be best for you. You have a high degree of understanding about detectors and they way they work. That does NOT mean that this is also best for everyone in the hobby.

I agree, the ACE is certainly NOT the best machine for you. I think there are few of the GArrett machines that would be. You are best outfitted with a machine where you have a higher degree of control. That does not mean that the same applies for all people. I prefer to work most programs I work with in Linux, and in the terminal, but this is not what I would recommend for everyone.

You don't have to go real slow with me. I can hold my own with anyone. WHile I am new to this hobby, I do get the theory (though I would like to know more about it). As I said, I can not attest to how the ACE works relative to other machines because I have not used any others. I do know that I have read many opinions about these machines, and I have seen the things that people have dug up. Assuming that these people are not lying, then all the machines you mentioned, including the ACE, work, and they do a good job. Perhaps the ACE does suffer from a slower recovery time verses other machines. I would not know, I have not tested them (nor have I SEEN any tests). I do know that the recovery time for the ACE seems just fine for the hobbyist getting into detecting. What I am not sure of is why you seem to insist that the machine is garbage, when it clearly is not.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
EasyMoney: You said: "I recommend reading as much of George Payne's engineering notes as one can digest. Or, those of Jack Gifford. Jacks are easier for laymen to read, but most people can understand most of George's too. They both discuss the same subject I write about above, and I conclude with them. Our understandings and conclusions are one and the same."

I had a Teknetics Mark I Ltd in the middle '80s and used it all over California, Florida, and New York and it always hummed away and never gave me any problems ground balancing it. This was a George Payne creation.

Do you know if Mr Payne is involved with any Teknetics detectors manufactured by First Texas Products meaning that they would also be superior detectors?

Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
EasyMoney said:
Yes Silver..

I met George Payne George played around in all the major companies throught the past and into the present. He is basically THEEE consulting engineer. Does this answer your question?

EasyMoney
You bet! Thanks. I was sorry that I got rid of my Mark I Ltd and I just recently (as of last week!) tried to buy another one that was being offered even though I had just bought a BH Discovery 3300 that I used a couple of weeks ago. I was willing to sell the 3300 for the Mark I Ltd. I sent the seller an email offering to buy it but before I heard from the seller I decided not to relive the past with a heavy detector that required 14 AAs. Even replacing the AAs with 9 volt batteries and even being a hip mount, it was still a heft while the 3300 is almost light as a feather and is a more modern machine. Fortunately, the seller answered my email with an "already sold" answer and I heaved a sigh of relief. Everyone who owned and owns a Teknetics detector still raves about it.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Silver Fox

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Edited version.

Different machines definitely perform, well, differently. I agree, from what I have read the ACE, while an excellent intro machine, is not suited for all terrain, and will have a harder time in certain areas. I gather however, that this is true of most machines, and is why so many people have multiple detectors.

Best off to do your research beforehand.

My question is: How do you tell what type of soil you have? How do you tell if the ground where you are is highly mineralized? I know this is a problem for me, and may be for others as well. How do you know?

On a different subject, some detectors are better at trashy areas than others (I hear the ACE does well in this case with a sniper coil). However it is almost impossible to tell if your search area is trashy before you actually buy a detector and get out there?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
We only hunt farm fields, swamps, old house places and sometimes playgrounds. There is no saltwater where we live so I can't speak about hunting beaches. Here is what I think about the Ace250:
I think the Ace250 is a great little machine if you are hunting ground that is not full of nails. We found alot of great items with our Ace250's when the ground was fairly clear of small iron.
I just bought a machine more suited for my needs. If I had known what my needs were beforehand and done more research on machines I would have never bought the Ace250.

Do lots of research on machines and ask lots of questions before you buy.

Good luck!

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There is a lot of iron in some of the places I search as well. I tend to discriminate iron when I search for that reason. The ground also has, I believe (not sure) a natural high iron content, which causes issues. With the ACE I have to discriminate iron in most areas I look. It also helps if you turn the sensitivity down on this machine. Set it at about 4 bars to start in most places. higher if you can stand it. Also I hear if you tape the cord up the lower shaft before coiling it around the upper shaft you can run at a higher sensitivity.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Stan,
I appreciate the help but we have tuned both Ace250's all kinds of ways and they still chirp badly on the nails. We spent almost a year with the machines and still couldn't figure them out on the real iron trashy places. It got to where we hated hunting with them on old house places. We went with a Tesoro Silver uMax and couldn't be happier with them.
The Ace250 is a great machine.... it just wouldn't be the machine I want for areas where there is alot of iron trash.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
SwampHunter said:
Stan,
I appreciate the help but we have tuned both Ace250's all kinds of ways and they still chirp badly on the nails. We spent almost a year with the machines and still couldn't figure them out on the real iron trashy places. It got to where we hated hunting with them on old house places. We went with a Tesoro Silver uMax and couldn't be happier with them.
The Ace250 is a great machine.... it just wouldn't be the machine I want for areas where there is alot of iron trash.

Well, no machine is perfect! Sounds like you do have a lot of nails! I have problems in junky areas as well. I am sure I am missing targets because of trash hiding signals, like in the nearby park. Glad you have found a detector that works for you!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
stanjam said:
SwampHunter said:
Stan,

Well, no machine is perfect! Sounds like you do have a lot of nails! I have problems in junky areas as well. I am sure I am missing targets because of trash hiding signals, like in the nearby park. Glad you have found a detector that works for you!

Nope, no machine is perfect. We have to weigh all of our options and try to find the best suited machine for ourselves.
My suggestion to anyone looking for a machine is not set their heart on one machine until they have done LOTS of research on which machine would be best suited for their area and tasks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions