I Cut my Digging Time in 1/2 Today

Michael in SC

May 16, 2005
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000
I'm just a newbie in the world of metal detecting so I'm on a pretty steep learning curve here so please bear with me.

After only a week of MD'ing I was getting tired of how much digging I was doing so I set out to lessen it any way I could.? Firstly, I got this http://www.fiskars.com/en_US/garden/lookupItem.do?cat=2&itemNumber=24476 trowel.? This thing is a God send.? ?Just pass a trowelfull of dirt over the coil and you can easily tell exactly which load has your prize.? I dug with this thing for about an hour and a half today and it's very sturdy.?

Secondly, I found, quite by accident, that by HOLDING DOWN THE PINPOINTER BUTTON ON MY MD I could zero in on the target.? Before I had just been pressing and releasing the button.? NO MORE!? It's press and hold for me from now on.?

I'm sure this is old information for most but when I have an epiphany, I just have to share.

Michael

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Michael; I know what you mean. When i discover something new, i'm so excited
i tell everyone. But i usually find out, that i was the only one that didn't know. It's ok though.
Cause i'm getting use to it. HH

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
That same company makes another model that Wal Mart carries. ?I've never actually used it to dig with but after I have a pile going, it's easy work to run the trowel over the coil to quickly find the target. ?These sell for $1.99 at Wal Mart.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Here's a picture of it.

Dudes

Attachments

• 100_0469.JPG
    100_0469.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 262
OP
OP
Michael in SC

Michael in SC

May 16, 2005
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000
Dudes,

Mine was either .93 or .97 at Lowe's but I just might have to go to Wal-Mart and see that thing for myself.

Thanks for the info.,

Michael

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I like the one you can dig with too, might have to check that out. The verison I have wouldn't be well suited for digging in anything but very soft dirt, the nose of it is pretty blunt. It does however hold a good amount of dirt in it for waving over the cool. Anyone that's interested better get one now, probably a seasonal thing, at least at Wal Mart or Lowes. You could probably get one online later in the year but then the shipping would be more than the shovel!

Dudes

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it would be good for beach sand too. My local Wally World doesn't have this model. JIM

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
You might want to think about adding a coin probe(pin pointer ) to your belt. The clad coins will discolor and blend into the dirt, you can make a slit, poke in the tip and when it buzz'es, retrieve. I'm pleasently suprised how much I use mine and it really helps you leave no trace of your visit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread