My brother took my ace, I need to upgrade but would like suggestions.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
O.K., I already know people on here get mad if newbies ask "which detector should I buy?" but there is no newbie board and I'm not one anyway! ;D
My dear brother took my ace and in my family that means if I see it again it will probably be at the local pawn shop. I really want to upgrade anyway. I only like using my detector when we go to Florida or when I can dig in woodchips and playgrounds. I can spend up to a thousand. We are heading to Sanibel Island and Pensacola in the near future and I want a detector that can go underwater. What would you guys suggest? I would also like to hear the best tools for beach hunting. I only have one week a year and I want to make it count.
Thank you and sorry if I've ticked anyone off. :D

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I don't think anyone gets ticked off, LOL, just gets old answering the same old question that CAN'T be answered, heheheh!

Go to White's, Fishers, Minelab, and Garretts sites and look at their water machines. Pick one that would suit your needs and you might even check Ebay for a used one....

Regardless, stick with the major manufacturers and you won't go wrong. Excellent warranties and outstanding customer service go a long ways after you purchase.

Sandman on this forum is a water hunter, he may have some tips as far as what works for him, and I know he's tried out a few different models, too.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Sara,

I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, tips, etc :wink:

Jeffro lends good advice :wink:

I have to put a plug in for the minelab excalibur 1000. My wife & I manage to make FL a couple times a year and each trip is dedicated to treasure hunting (beach & surf). I work the surf and the 1000 performs well.

I have fond memories of Sanibel Island. My kid was 13 at the time, we were on Bowman's Beach and he found this 10K gold wedding band in dry sand. He was using my white's classic id.

For our last trip I bought a straight shaft for my excal and it worked great. Regardless of which machine one uses, I recommend a 2 piece long handle scoop. It packs well for the trip and it works just like a shovel. One does not have to bend over so much :wink:

Here's pic of my gear prior to packin for the last trip :wink:

Attachments

• Bowman\'s Beach..JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach..JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Beach.Surf Tools 10.22.06001.JPG
    Beach.Surf Tools 10.22.06001.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Beach.Surf Tools 10.22.06001.JPG
    Beach.Surf Tools 10.22.06001.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Excalibur 1000..JPG
    Excalibur 1000..JPG
    26 KB · Views: 268
  • Bowman\'s Beach..JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach..JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 264

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is a nice machine, I have one myself in my arsenal, but it is too heavy for land hunting for most people.

Remember detectors are a lot like golf clubs, different ones for different situations. Are you sure you will really get enough use from one that is completely waterproof? Do you dive, is that why you want one for under water?

A little advice on the ones I am familiar with that can be used on both land and water.

The Sovereign GT is fantastic on the beaches, the coil is water proof so you can hunt the shallows, but the controls are not, unless you waterproof it yourself. The Sov GT is also an excellent land machine. A good used Sovereign GT will cost you $400 to $600 used, and $800 new. I own 2, one I bought new, one used that had been waterproofed for surf hunting. $600. IMO it beats the Excal in the salt water surf, but you have to waterproof it to use it there.

My best find to date with my land Sov GT 14 K men's ring with half carrot diamond.
DaytonaBeach14kdiamond8.07.jpg

My latest finds with my Waterproofed Sov GT. !4k men's wedding band and 10k earring with possible diamonds (yet to test)
beachhunt33006001.jpg

You could get a Whites Beach Hunter ID, it is waterproof, a good water detector, but it is also light enough to be used on land, and it is a good land machine. I had one, but I did not like the battery door design and traded it for my new Sov GT, but that had nothing to do with the performance of it. You can get a good Beach Hunter ID new for $800 and used for $350 to $500, if you look around you can get a good Minelab Excal used for $650 to $700, new is $1000-$1200.

My best find with my Beach Hunter ID I traded in for my new Sov GT. 14K cocktail ring with 1/2 carot diamonds.
DSC01803.jpg

If your going to hunt in the water, you need a good long handle scoop. They are not cheap, but they are worth their weight in gold when your using them in the surf. You also need a finds bag for the water, one that has zippers or velcro so when the surf turns you feet to the sky, and your head to the bottom you don't loose every thing you found.

Good luck and good hunting.

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi Sara77
You might want too consider the Minelab X-terra 70 machine
it has auto & manual ground balance, Noise cancel. The machine
can be used too hunt Coins, Jewlery, Relics, it also has a Beach Mode,
Prospecting Mode and also tracking ground balance. I've been finding
Coins and 1- 14kt gold ring so far. Also just found 2- more Walking
Liberty Half Dollars...1936 & 1943

Attachments

• Diamond Ring.jpg
    Diamond Ring.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF0028_1.JPG
    DSCF0028_1.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Joe Macha.jpg
    Joe Macha.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 210
  • Tomica.jpg
    Tomica.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Diamond Ring.jpg
    Diamond Ring.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 212

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
AMEN to that !

Sara,
Tell your brother us guys at T-Net look out for our girls.
Keep his meet hooks to himself.

We have both tesoro and whites in our bunch and they both perform well.
My suggestion is to go out and try them out. Don't be in a hurry.
Find the one that you think will work for you and then buy.

Make the brother pay for the one he has
Or slap the fuzz off of him if he touches yours again.

LOL
Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread