Metal Detecting, Bowhunting and Cheezy Advertising?

GunRunner

Mar 7, 2004
LaPine, OR
Hello all! I am an avid detectorist who has been swingin' one for 32+ years now. I do not regularly visit this forum but do from time to time to see what is new and exciting. Lately I have been reading some posts and felt the need to re-post a message I put up a few years ago on this forum. As well as being a dedicated detectorist I am also a long time bowhunter. Early on (25+) years ago we bowhunters bought the best equipment we could afford from knowledgable dealers who had the experience to outfit us with the right equipment matched to our needs and abilities. These small, dedicated dealers properly set up, matched our arrows to the bows and provided ongoing service, help and training. We also spent much time practicing both on range and in the field and for the most part, became skillful archers. We spent much time afield during the off season studying the game and learning their habits with the hope of improving our success during hunting season. We considered ourselves purists, enjoyed long seasons and generally had the respect of the entire hunting community. Then something began to happen. Some people saw this as an opportunity for a longer hunting season with a better chanch at scoring a deer or elk. Cheap equipment began to emerge at discount sporting goods and retail stores. Suddenly new "bowhunters" were stumbling into the woods with their inferior, untuned equipment and lack of knowledge sending arrows out at any legal animal they could see. The result? greater numbers of animals wounded, "bowhunters" riding in the back of pickups with arrow rested and nocked (bad idea) even some falling on their own arrows and the beginning of a lack of respect by the hunting community. A similar evolutionary path has been taken with the metal detector industry. I now see metal detectors in most major retail stores and now Harbor Freight is selling a $19.95 BFO unit!! And let us not forget the "Cheezy" ad White's has been playing for several years now (one would think they could change the copy now and then!) I assume they play the same one out East as here. The one about the guy needing a "healthy" hobby and finding the ring? My point should be obvious but the answer is vauge. Fortunately I live out west (actually only about 1.5 hours from the White's factory) and probably do not experience the over crowding some of you mention. I would appreciate any and all thoughts (and any answers) to this matter of growing concern.

[email protected]

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well, one of my pals got hit broadside by a 12 gauge meant for a pheasant, but he lived and believe it or not did not shoot the SOB back!

I had a series last fall when I was mostly injured and showing a neighbor the md'ing ropes, his beginner's luck was phenominal in the gold ring dept.. I think the expansion of the hobby is good for the hobby overall. When people find out that this hobby, once thought to be the domain of eccentric old folks in bermuda shorts and nothing more than benign at worst, is actually just one more target of a segment of the population that seeks to restrict or control everything we do... well it's a good thing overall.

Sorry about the run on!

Attachments

• Military button.jpg
    Military button.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
G

GunRunner

Mar 7, 2004
LaPine, OR
Lowbatts I agree with you in the expansion arena providing it is quality expansion. I simply do not want to see this hobby/sport becoming controlled by oppressive, draconian rules and regulations because of the "one (or many) bad apple" out there.

Attachments

• RBOQFY4.jpg
    RBOQFY4.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 16
  • nBdDHIhh.jpg
    nBdDHIhh.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 35kiHw7l.jpg
    35kiHw7l.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 18

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Well a defensive posture is great if you have no offense to use. The argument could be rephrased any number of ways, what gores your ox?

Too many bad drivers result in driving restrictions, you get to go to work, shopping and emergencies. Too many drunk drivers lead to prohibitions on drinking. (Tried for other reasons and failed)

Too many violent crimes, get rid of guns, then bows, knives, etc...

To worry about those things is to accept the defensive posture. Go on the offensive. Always use the opportunity to showcase the positives. Whether it's a simple as showing off the pulltabs you've found instead of the "treasures" when someone inquires about your activity or demonstrating that you can remove hazards. Yesterday I was in the park and told the crew there I would clean up after they were done demolishing a piece of playground equipment. They had no intention or capability of cleaning the playground sand of the screws, metal shards and hard plastic chips they left there.

These all present a danger to the little ones. It's a little thing, but the little things add up. I'm trying to keep the balance on the positive for the little things in my neighborhood. The two moms there both acknowledged my effort when they asked what I was finding. When I see a newcomer, I help them out as well as I can and as much as they'll put up with my windy self!

Attachments

• July 2015 kids rocks 007.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • July 2015 kids rocks 039.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 039.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 15
  • July 2015 kids rocks 038.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 038.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 12
  • July 2015 kids rocks 037.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 037.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 17
  • July 2015 kids rocks 040.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 040.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 19
  • July 2015 kids rocks 033.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 033.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 19
  • July 2015 kids rocks 005.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • July 2015 kids rocks 029.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 029.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 15
  • July 2015 kids rocks 052.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 052.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 15
  • July 2015 kids rocks 053.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 053.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 15
  • quartz 002.jpg
    quartz 002.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 13
  • rocks 006.jpg
    rocks 006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • July 2015 kids rocks 036.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 036.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 16
  • July 2015 kids rocks 032.jpg
    July 2015 kids rocks 032.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 12
  • emeralds 014.jpg
    emeralds 014.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 12
  • emeralds 015.jpg
    emeralds 015.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
G

GunRunner

Mar 7, 2004
LaPine, OR
Lowbatts, I definately agree with you. I guess I sidestepped my own point and did come off with a somewhat "defensive" posture. This is flaw in my own personality and not something specific to MD'ing. While not an antisocial person I have always undertaken MD'ing as a private pastime, not with the intent of "hoarding" any good finds I might make but to keep me, and the hobby, somewhat "low key" and out of the public eye. It would probably do me well to re-think my attitudes about that and open up to the reality of it all, IE. the expansion of the hobby. What Elgin are you from? Oregon or elsewhere? Anyway thanks for the input.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
It's Elgin, Il, and hey, I detect because I like doing solo work as well. I'm just writing that way 'cause I only want MY pic next to antisocial in the dictionary!

You know the feeling, on the hunt either way you can go team or solo, but the end result is you get the rest of the world out of your face for awhile and it's all good. I just try not to let it carry my day. There's still plenty of things bigger than me I end up needing to be party to doggonit.

Attachments

• IMG_20150801_135234.jpg
    IMG_20150801_135234.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150911_153937.jpg
    IMG_20150911_153937.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20150912_101717.jpg
    IMG_20150912_101717.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 17

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Which is more deceptive- White's commerical or Minelab's multi-frequency hype?
Promotion and hype as practiced by manufacturers and hobby magazines have been with us from day one. Have you ever seen a bad detector review? Go to any manufacturer's website and see the pictures of smiling faces above incredible finds made by their detectors.

This advertising is aimed at newbies. A lot of manufacturers would go belly up if their sales were only with regular users. A large percentage of sales are with first time and last time buyers. Most people do not have the patience or the mental outlook for this hobby and their detectors quickly end up in closets.

After saying all of the above- it may surprise you to find out my sympathies are with the folks who sell these things. I can not imagine the stress dealers have in trying to pay the overhead in such a crowded market. They have to contend with discounters(e.g. Kellyco) and clubs who expect to be supported and discounted.(Not only local clubs but clubs across the country want to be supported by you). The MD dealer graveyard is vast and full.
How about the manufacturers? How about when current VLF technology becomes extinct( remember BFO-then TR- then VLF). If a new level of technology came out this year how many would survive?(Remember- D-Tex, Jetco or Relco?).

Have a good day
George

Attachments

• at the Claim 2018.jpg
    at the Claim 2018.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Gary Honan 2018.jpg
    Gary Honan 2018.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 45

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread