few questions about the DFX

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I just purchased a new White's DFX 300. My previous detector and now backup is an Ace 250. I realize that there is a learning curve on the DFX and I have only 2 hours of use on it, but I have a few questions to DFX owners. The DFX seems very noisy compared to the ACE. For example, I ground balance and set the pre programmed coin jewelry mode. Right away, it seems like it is signaling. As I sweep, I get broken signal after broken signal then the occasional good signal. It seems like it is never just the hum of the threshold. I don't think I am in a real trashy area (my yard). Sometimes, I just pick the detector up off the ground to waist level while searching and it still signals. Is this normal in a high end detector? The Ace was silent until it picked up a signal. I seem to be getting at least 2-3 broken signals per sweep. I have read the manual and watched the provided video. I have researched on-line but have not read "digging deeper" as of yet. These signals may be perfectly normal, but I just find them very annoying.

As I watched the provided DFX video, there was a guy in the video demonstrating how to search. He was talking while sweeping. He eventually got a good signal and pulled up a Merc. I didn't hear his detector get all kinds of broken signals after broken signals like mine seems to be getting. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I apologize in advance for the amount of questions I expect to have with my new DFX. I don't know anyone personally who has any experience with one.

J

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
First thing to do is get the book by Foster. While you are waiting for that just use the factory COINS program. Read posts @ DFXONLY.com and get away from ant electrical interference if you have any in your yard

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
It sounds a little excessive from what your saying. the book thats mentioned above is a good referance. when I first got my DFX i dug everything and anything and before long I had a pretty good feel for the detector. Its alot of work at first, but I learned alot, too. Good luck

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a regular DFX and have found that the factory preset is to use the multiple frequency mode
"BEST DATA" but this tends to make the machine unstable, you should notice a marked difference
if you switch the mode to "CORALATE" on the dual frequency.

let us know if this helped.
Richard

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it sounds like you are in a noisy area. I'd switch your frequency choice to Correlate. The "canned" programs are set up very conservative so that beginners don't run into problems. If you are getting that much noise it must be electrical interference.

You might also inquire at: www.dfxonly.com

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the other about being in a noisy area. My front yard is the same. I can hold the coil in the air and still get cracks and pops from interference. I don't have that problem in most the other places I hunt.

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
You can try turning down the AC Gain to about 68-70 that should help with the interference.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
OK, it appears that my yard is just noisy. I took the DFX to a local park and the broken signals cleared up. I now find it easy to hear the good tones. Thanks for all the responses.

J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread