REWARDS

I have been reading treasure hunting stories for 20 years now, and would like to express something that I have noticed for along time now.
Almost every lost/returned ring story, the author seems to mention how he/she always turns down a reward offered in order to promote the hobby of metal detecting. It is though the magazine is sending a message for us MD'ers not to accept rewards and this, in turn will help promote the hobby's good name.
Well, I disagree, and I accept all rewards offered.
First of all, I have put my time and energy into finding the object.
Second, I have chose to spend time researching, tracking down the owner out of kindness, not greed.
Finally, I have spent my own money on gas, long distance calls, etc.
I welcome that reward! I definitely earned it!
When I am asked to locate property pegs for people, (and make a special trip) if they don't give a reward, I will tell them that I usually charge for my services.
Why? Because I am a professional, with professional equipment. If they had to hire a surveyor, they would pay a fortune! If they have a big old yard, then I consider that payment enough! :lol:
Anyone want to add anything to this subject? Any interesting reward stories?
Dave.

Upvote 0

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
I think most people turn down rewards because they were taught it is the right thing to do. I have a tendency to agree with you. If offered a reward I go by whether or not the person can really afford to be making the offer. I do agree that locating survey stakes should not be done for free. Here it cost 2500.00 for a surveyor to do the job. Believe when I tell you people would gladly pay 500.00 to have them located. Free service? Not on this one. Yes we are professionals and yes we do spend big money sometimes for professional equipment. Should we do professional "WORK" for free? No I don't believe so. Is it ok to do someone a favor out of the goodness of your heart? Yes. But don't be ashamed to be up front about what you expect, or deserve for a professional job completed.

Just my thoughts, right or wrong.
Doug-Iowa
http://www.djsdetectors.com

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well said Dave. I was walking home from a day in the park one day when a neighbor asked me to find his property marker. I did so but told him it would cost him a soda pop.

Been on a coulpe hunts for rings but with the understanding and renumeration expectation up front. On the other hand, if I find an inscribed article and can find the person myself, that's the effort I undertook without the expectation of reward. In that light, I neither expect nor request any reward, but will take one if offered. That said, my usual fee is milk and cookies or something to that effect.

Just a big kid in a big playground!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It is a sorry son of a bitch that will sell his soul for a piece of gold when he CAN find the owner. Same thing as a thief!"
First off, dirtbag, I was asking for advice, not a foul mouthed response. Clean up YOUR act! You read the rules, you agreed to them. Follow them!!
You obviously are a newbie to this hobby. Three gold rings in 10 years hardly makes you an expert. Man, you must be an excellent hunter. If you had to provide for your family they would starve! I did not say I was not going to find the owner, you misread my intentions. I only asked that for my time, effort, and expertise, should I expect to be compensated? Insulting me by calling me trailer trash, just shows where you grew up (or did you)?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry dneydedli for hijacking your thread, these kind of inter-twine (Rewards and Dilema threads) at least how I see it. I only went to this one because dirtbag is bad mouthing me here indirectly. Why did you run from the original thread dirtbag, too much heat?

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whoa! Can we please keep the vicious comments on the LRL threads??

Usually if someone asks me to find something for them, I'll just do it. Sometimes the only payment is finding out how and where they lost it-- knowledge is a profitable reward, if you know what to do with it.

A month or two ago a fella stopped me on the beach and asked me to find his wedding band, and offered "a reward close to what the ring is worth". I said okay, and he told me how he lost the ring four months prior, and put me within 5 feet of the spot. I found the ring in a matter of seconds, and he handed me $100 with a big smile. Yes, I gladly accepted-- at the time it seemed the right thing to do. But I didn't ask for it.

Sometimes people expect too much-- I try not to be one of them. A girl asked me if I found her rings, so I asked her for a description. She lost 6 in one spot! I went back and found them, and gave them back to her. No thanks, no offers. They were still fun to find, and I learned something from the experience.

Another story: Once I was on a beach hoping I could just find a gold ring with my new detector. I would be happy with any ring, really, just to see that it worked, and was thinking about finding the very last ring ever dropped on that beach, whether a day or 10 years ago. Just then a surfer came up and asked me to help him find a ring he just dropped! So I found it in under a minute. He was so happy to get it back, and offered to pay me, and asked what I wanted. Truth is I had already got what I wanted, and told him so. I was greatful he offered a reward, and that was enough for me.

Just because I like to find stuff doesn't mean I like to see people lose stuff. And I don't care for it when I'm in need and someone sees an opportunity to stick me.

Attachments

• IMG_20150929_194014.jpg
    IMG_20150929_194014.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20150929_193957.jpg
    IMG_20150929_193957.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20150912_190049.jpg
    IMG_20150912_190049.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20150912_190001.jpg
    IMG_20150912_190001.jpg