Detecting through birdshot

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's an area I know of that was used for years as a trapshooting area. Problem is, it was also the sight of some heavy CW activity. Most people have avoided it because of the dense birdshot. Is it possible that the birdshot could be effectively notched out (on a machine equipped to notch) in order to hear some signals below. Or, would it have to be hunted like the bad, iron rich, dirt of Viginia, where you have to dig practically every signal?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try notching it out, but I don't think you will have much luck because of the amount of shot and the different sizes all at different depths. It would be like trying to find a dime on the hood of your car. WIth the proper detector you could try surface blanking, but I suggest you just dig every signal.

Good Luck

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
What I do in situations like that is to listen closely while I dig several birdshot targets from a given area. Then I take note of the sounds, birdshot gives off a quick, short and solid sound on my machine. Then I start to ignore those particular sounds and concentrate on anything that sounds different. I know that I miss stuff like that, but I find stuff too, and I limit my birdshot digging that way. Now if birdshot is blanketing the area you just as well pass it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread