Newbie here , need some advice on GA. beach detecting

RTRN08

Mar 31, 2008
Hi am a new member here been lurking for months but now I have finally decided to get everyones advice. My husband I are taking a trip to the Hilton Head /Tybee island area and I was wondering which are the better beaches to detect at? I will be taking the dfx and probably bh landstar. Any suggestions as far as settings are concerned are very welcome too. Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've stayed at Hilton Head Resort and there are many fine beach sands to hunt. Forest beach, Hilton Head beach and heck, about anywhere along the coast. You can inquire as to where the beach parties were going on. It's been a while since I've been there but you can't sleep on the sand anymore, ya gotta pay real $ for four a four wall room and it was a walk to the sand.

Your detectors must be able to find pull tabs as this is where most of the gold rings are located too. White gold can also read down in foil range so you can just disc out Iron. Hunting on the wet saltwater sand may have the detectors unstable so lower the sens till it clears up.

Welcome to the forum. :coffee2:

OP
OP
R

RTRN08

Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for the advice sandman it is really appreciated. This will be my first time to detect the beach so it should be a neat learning experience. I will have to let you know how it went when we get back.

Thanks Again

HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my partners has a DFX and at times plays with it on Daytona Beach before he pulls out his
Excal. He uses the preset beach mode, turns the sense down and ignores the chatter from the mineralization....

If your going to hunt the beach much in the future, you might consider a Minelab Sovereign GT as a 2nd machine. It is a very good land machine and even better, a fantastic beach detector (controls not waterproof, coil is) . (I own 2 :thumbsup:) If you look you can find a good used one on the boards at a good price.

Good luck and good hunting...........................

OP
OP
R

RTRN08

Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for the advice Treasure Hunter. I had noticed many others on the board saying how Sov. was the machine to have on the beach. Our trip went well. The dfx seemed to work fine in beach mode. There were a couple times it didn't want to ground balance but all I did was move to another area and try it again. I live in N.GA so probably won't be seeing the beach again for a while. I will keep the Sov. in mind though if my location should change :wink: . I will have to post my finds later after I load the pics to my computer. Thanks again to all that responded.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread