New thought-Maybe loud headphones better than larger coil

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
I hunt the saltwater beaches with an M6 and stock coil. I haven't found any jewelry yet, which is what I always search for. One enigmatic stranger at the beach told me that "there was too much sand" to find anything. So, I have since been thinking I need to go deeper- a lot deeper. I was thinking that a larger coil is just what I need.
I tried a new beach a couple of days ago, and surprise, I could get good depth in wet sand at this beach, the only one around here that is like this! (That I have found so far, anyways.) And I noticed that I got lots of signals. The signals were not loud, however. I tend to pass on quiet signals. As I was walking back to my car, I hit the dry sand just for the heck of it. (I never hunt on dry sand.) I wasn't getting any good signals, until BAM, my headphones rang loud and clear! And the target was in the jewelry range, too. Turns out it was an aluminum poptop, but this got me thinking-What if all my signals sounded like that? Really LOUD and clear, and hard to disregard? I would most likely dig all the signals then.
So I got to thinking, what if I got some really loud headphones, like the Ratphones, with the delimiter (for shallow targets, so they won't blast my ears off)? This was a new angle-Maybe I don't need a bigger and better coil so much as I need some headphones that will really get my attention on those quieter signals. Now I'm thinking that a set of very loud headphones would be even better than getting a new coil. Any thoughts? HH

Upvote 0

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
there will still be faint signals, but good headphones are needed but you still need to dig the faint one's, some of my best rings hardy made a noise at all, it easy digging at the beach so I dig them all.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can recommend the Black Widows from Detector Pro. They have the limiter circuit so you won't rupture an eardrum on a shallow aluminum can and seal out all but the loudest ambient noise. My Musketeer is 100% audio and they are the berries for allowing the faint signals to come through. In trashy areas they also allow you to distinguish between the "Beep" of a coin and the "Beek" or "k'Beep" of foil and bottlecaps . . . sometimes.

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks guys....Musketeer, Charlie? What the heck is that? and: 100% audio? What does that mean? Anyways, thank you for the advice. I will look into this. HH :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread