First Time Out...

SelmerMKVI

Apr 23, 2008
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Hey all! I'm new to the forums and metal detecting in general. I've always kind of dreamed about it because the property where I grew up carried a legend of buried depression era silver in mason jars. Anyway, I never found those, but today I am on my way to glory and riches untold. :)

Well, at least a lot of fun. I got my Ace 250 today (A good deal for $300 I think. Came with a lot of extras, including a 9x12 coil), watched the video, read the manual and proceeded into the back yard to try it out. I've always known this yard is full full full of old metal. The previous owner was a bit of a junk lover. I'm always just kicking up nails, brads and spark plugs. That's without a metal detector. I'll probably be at it in my own yard for a long time trying to figure out what's what. Too much trash.

After about an hour today, I had 8 cents ( $299.92 more and this baby is paid for!) , an old hasp with a fastener from a dog chain, a long aluminum nail, and several other bits. There were a lot of scrambled crazy signals. Too many to dig today that's for sure.

Anyway, my first big "treasure hunt" is going to be an old abandoned baseball field where I played little league when I was 5. I'm looking forward to an exciting hobby, and finding some interesting, if not extremely valuable things. Who knows. Maybe I'll return to that property where I grew up and discover the legendary silver!

So, you veterans, If you could impart a single piece of wisdom, advice, or knowledge to a young treasure hunter, what would it be?

Thanks and wish me luck!
-SelmerMKVI

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
My advice....research a lot and have even MORE fun! Welcome to tnet and also to the addiction of metal detecting! :wink: So glad you joined us!

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Jim, truer words were never spoken. Selmer, welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting. I always love the anticipation of what will be found at the beginning of a hunt, then when you make a good find, it a thing to celebrate. Be sure to pay attention to what your detector is telling you every time you dig an item. This way you will start to know the good signals from the junk. The other bit of advise is that if you are finding the areas you dig tend to have a lot of junk in them, to the point that you are getting multiple signals from multiple items under your coil, the 5" sniper coil will really help. In junky areas, the little coil will help you cherry pick the good items. At around $65.00, it a pretty good deal.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
SelmerMKVI

SelmerMKVI

Apr 23, 2008
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Hey all, thanks for all the good advice! I feel like I've been a part of this hobby in spirit for a long time anyway. I've always loved history and finding things no one else knew was there. As far as the etiquette of the hobby goes, that sounds very much like the way a Geocacher should conduct themself. I've been caching since 2003, so I know exactly what you mean about representing the hobby, and making sure you leave a minimal impact on your surroundings, if any at all. I expect this will be a natural extension of my habit of using multi-million dollar technology to find tupperware hidden in the woods.

I really appreciate the warm welcome as well! Thanks!

Also, I was eyeing that sniper coil. I wondered if it would be worth it. I'll think about getting that one once I have a handle on the "factory instrument." Then I'll have a small, medium and large config.

By the way, I went back out in the yard last night, and was able to locate a few more bits of junk, but I also came across a few stony slabs that look like they might be buried cinder blocks or something. I haven't probed around or anything, but that definitely piqued my interest as i have no idea why they'd be buried next to each other where they are. Might just be buried cinder blocks, but maybe it's the lid to an ancient treasure?! :) Could be!

Thanks again!
SelmerMKVI

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
oh man!! now I will be dreaming of what is under that treasure lid til you go dig them up! You have created a monster!! :laughing9:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ya and welcome to tnet...

you'll love it here... so ask away and have fun digging... nice to meet ya too

Booty :thumbsup:

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Yep, another one bit by the detecting bug :occasion14:

Enjoy your 250. If you get headphones (recommended), be sure to get ones with a volume control. The beeping from the 250 is pretty loud without volume control. If or when you can afford the small coil, it will quickly become a favorite.

Good hunting, John K

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
wow good luck!!

now once you"ve found your first silver or gold you'll be like the rest of us!!Totally addicted! ;D Welcome to the hobby :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions