$300 Tesoro Silver uMax v. $480 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Opinions?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the time ranger more bells a whistles, the silver better depth, and faster audio recovery speed, and should be more sensitive to gold with the frequency, choose which ever intrests you most, a learn it, i like a tid machine , but with my t-2 I pretty much use only the audio. i think either will treat you well

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JasonB said:
Is the uMax really better than a much more expensive machine like the Time Ranger. Seems that the more expensive MD would be better but folks seem to disagree on it. Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Jason what you'll discover is there's a reason certain detectors get praised up so much.

Most any detector will beep on air tests, etc. But out in the wild is where the junk gets separated from the quality detectors.

Tesoro detectors are quality machines and they consistantly make lots of great finds. Thus many people keep praising them.

I've owned and used all the Silver models since they were invented. Nothing I ever owned did any better for me when it came to locating coins and rings on land.

The new Silver uMax with standard coil is a very good choice. Put the heavy 12x10 inch concentric coil on it and it will blow you away with its depth.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Not only are the Tesoro's proven, but if service is needed, I think you'll find Tesoro is much better to deal with.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
I'm going to have to agree with the others. tesoro is the clear choice in my opinion. the build quality is far Superior with the tesoro and the customer service isn't even in the same ballpark.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
JasonB said:
Is the uMax really better than a much more expensive machine like the Time Ranger. Seems that the more expensive MD would be better but folks seem to disagree on it. Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Hi Jas-Yes, one might think that a more expensive machine would be better than a less (even much less) expensive metal detector. But when it comes to metal detectors, this is simply not true. (Metal detecting can be a strange hobby) I find that a lot of the more expensive machines depend more on marketing hype than on real results in the field. I found this out when I got the most expensive brand-I didn't like it. It was supposed to be one of the very best detectors you could buy. Come to find out, The LED meter was a real joke-totally useless. Apparently the company also noticed this: Now the model does not come with any meter.
The best thing to do is to do what you are doing-ask the experts. (Especially Michigan Badger-He has experience with almost all the metal detectors.) Decide what is the most important things in a metal detector for you, and go from there. HH

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
while I've never used a tesoro silver, I do own a time ranger. It is a light MD however the screen is hard to see without tipping the unit at an angle, also, the ID is kind of iffy.
If I had to do it over, I'd pick a White's or tesoro
I now use a White's DFX and I love it

Sniffer

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Thanks, Guys. I bought the Silver uMax. Found a couple of deep wheats on my first spin with it. The tones are very distinctive and gets nice and deep when you really slow it down.

I think I almost like not having the ID meter better. Less reasons to second guess yourself. My rule now is 'if sounds good, dig it.'

This forum is great and I appreciate the help. I plan to become a paying member here shortly.

Jason

dl_mooney

Jun 26, 2008
I just got the Time Ranger,Sure hope it works out,Think that it will. One can never LEARN enough about your machine. Think it pays off to go over the manual. Plan on doing Beach & also some Turf. dl_mooney

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread