What is your favorite type of location to hunt?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Abandoned homesteads in the woods and old waystations along the river. Any old settlements/ghost towns that are farm fields or woods now....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy swim areas where ever it isn't to far from the car to the water. These days I have trouble walking to the water, and I don't think they make waterproof scooters to get me there.

Once there I am happy as a clam. It helps if there are no large people in Speedo's.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Old-town urban demolition sites, and places were California adobes (Spanish/Mexican era mud-brick houses) once stood.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anywhere removed from urban centres and curiosity seekers, wild and remote being preferred.. for old home sites, ghost town areas and abandoned mining prospects; but, if I were in town, old baseball diamonds...less trash, higher jewellery to trash ratio, and quite productive for old silver as well (silver coins that is). Jim.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
any spots were folks lived in the past ----say 100 or more ago (pre 1900)--- but that is not populated heavily today --- generally a bit off the "well beaten path"

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Dr. Ace said:
Where do you like to hunt? What areas produce the best for you?

hh,

Dr. Ace
Salt water beaches. Even if I don't find anything, I love a day at the beach. I want to get a bumper sticker, "Life's a Beach". I don't work, I just visit beaches. Some beaches can be breathtaking. And if there are bikini clad local flora and fauna there, even better!! :wink:

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Massbaycolonist said:
Dr. Ace said:
Where do you like to hunt? What areas produce the best for you?

hh,

Dr. Ace
Salt water beaches. Even if I don't find anything, I love a day at the beach. I want to get a bumper sticker, "Life's a Beach". I don't work, I just visit beaches. Some beaches can be breathtaking. And if there are bikini clad local flora and fauna there, even better!! :wink:

Ditto on the above and on into the surf.

OP
OP
Dr. Ace

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for all the responses. Where I live (southern Iowa) there are not a lot of beaches. I have had the best luck hunting on private property. Our city parks and sports complexes have also been good producers, at least quantity wise. One part of a local park has produced several wheats and an IH for me, another park has given up a silver and a couple of wheats. The other silver(s) I have found have all been on private property.

There are a lot of abandoned farm sites around here. I hope to check some of them out soon. Schools have variously been good and bad. It all depends.

Again, thanks for your responses.

Hh,

Dr. Ace

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Construction sites, Construction sites and more Construction sites. Do your research in your area, learn how to graciously ask for permission and wait for the windows of the past to be opened for you. Everytime a building is demolished, an old road is repaired, a sidewalk is redone, a lot is graded, etc., a window to the past is opened for you that has not seen a detector ever in most cases. It is one of the only ways that you can guarantee that you are the first to put a detector in that area. My best finds, including a two piece CS script Civll War Buckle, rated a 9 in rarity on a 10 scale, have come from construction sites.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anywhere I can get permission. :icon_pirat:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Private yards(old), the woods, beaches, recreational areas pretty much anywhere I can find coins.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: BEACHES :thumbsup: BEACHES :thumbsup: BEACHES :thumbsup: BEACHES :thumbsup: BEACHES :thumbsup:

Daytona_Beach1-1.jpg

472980610VMNMfq_ph1.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

Marty_Daytona.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:D Treasure_Hunter I can see why!!! ::)

Marauder Dan

Aug 24, 2005
Favorite places for me are the woods.I bring along a small digital camera for some shots of woodland critters when I get a chance too LOL mostly everywhere where people once were and arent now is good for me,,Im a people type person,,but now hen Im hunting,I hate questions ,looks and so on,,LOL

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
A site with NO PULLTABS!! :tard: Seriously, I love hunting old fairgrounds. I find a great deal of coins (two Merc's) Mr. Pepper and I are starting to find jewelry now. He found a 10K gold plated bracelet on our last hunt,

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008
Well for mass targets I like hitting schools. Lots of money and the very good chance of jewelery. Summertimes are great for this no classes. For older targets I like private yards. Every now and then I hit parks. I really do not like to many people around.

I would like the chance to hunt beaches, maybe one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread