MXT vs GTI 2500

Dominoe

Mar 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Has anyone compared the GTI 2500 against the MXT? I've read tons of reviews on the MXT but not alot has been said about the GTI 2500. Anyone want to offer up some helpful reviews or observations?

I like the idea of being able to know what size the object is as well as how deep, but how well does it work as a whole unit?

Any comments would be welcome.

Dominoe...

Upvote 0
W

WampusCat

Don't know about the GTI 2500, but I own both a MXT and a GTAX 1000. I have to admit I enjoy detecting with the Garrett much better. You cannot notch out on the MXT which means you get a lot of cracked sounds. On the Garrett, you can notch out and don't have to listen to what you don't want to. Looking at trading my new MXT in on a Fisher.

I must admit I only have about 8 hours of detecting on my MXT, so I may change my mind later on down the line.

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
I too have a Garrett GTAX and a MXT... Both are good for their own little thing. I like the notch in the garrett, especially if you are going for something specific. The MXT on the other hand is easy to control and easy to adjust for interference and to discriminate trash and I find it a little more accurate in pinpointing. I would say that the GTI 2500 might be a better bet since, like everything else, it has a little batter technology behind it. The best thing to do is try it out on your own test bed if possible.... Let us know!!!

8)

D

Dragon29588

I've been using a Garrett GTI-2500 for about six months now. Mostly working the beach, the dry areas wear people tend to place their blankets and equipment. I've been impressed with both the depth of detection, and the ability to screen out "junk". I've gone down the beach behind others and almost always find items they have missed. The depth indication is especially useful. Just my opinion.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a GTI 2500 on its way. I used a friends and i was just hooked. Its an awesome machine. And like everyone else said you can silence out all the chit-chattering other brands have. Its also is coming with an inline probe and another search coil. So the inline probe takes the place of the pinpointing problem :) Let us know which one you go with.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTIs are pretty good, not as good as some top units for other brands, but will do the job in most situations. You can save yourself some $$$ and swinging weight by going with the 1500 as it does everything the 2500 will for a very high % of users.

I definitely wouldn't base my decision on the imaging, it's more a gimic and anyone who really knows the detector would have no need for it. I think it actually holds people back from learning.

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
I have a Garrett 2500 GTI. I can't comment on the MTX. I am still learning the 2500. The instruction DVD is pretty vague and its my first detector (well first real one had a cheap-o when I was a kid). Info online about the 2500 seems scarce. I bought it just to hunt my great uncles basement and around my property, and it does well for what I have used it for. I probably would have gotten a lower end model (Ace 250) but I paid much less than 1/2 of what the 2500 goes for, for a used unit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread