National Register of Historic Places

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know but with it comes benifits like tax breaks

No, it doesn't.

"[h=3]Results & Owner Information[/h]Listing in the National Register of Historic Places provides formal recognition of a property’s historical, architectural, or archeological significance based on national standards used by every state. Results include:
• Becoming part of the National Register Archives, a public, searchable database that provides a wealth of research information.
• Encouraging preservation of historic resources by documenting a property’s historic significance.
• Providing opportunities for specific preservation incentives, such as:
> Federal preservation grants for planning and rehabilitation
> Federal investment tax credits
> Preservation easements to nonprofit organizations
> International Building Code fire and life safety code alternatives
• Possible State tax benefit and grant opportunities. Check with your State Historic Preservation Office for historic property incentives available within your state.
• Involvement from the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation when a Federal agency project may affect historic property.
• Find out information on the care and maintenance of your historic property through various NPS Preservation Briefs and Tech Notes.
• Network with other historic property owners, tour historic areas, or chat with preservationists through Conferences, Workshops, and Preservation Organizations.
• Celebrate your listing by ordering a bronze plaque that distinguishes your property as listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

[h=3]Listing and Ownership[/h]• National Register listing places no obligations on private property owners. There are no restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
• National Register listing does not lead to public acquisition or require public access.
• A property will not be listed if, for individual properties, the owner objects, or for districts, a majority of property owners object.
• National Register listing does not automatically invoke local historic district zoning or local landmark designation."

That's directly from the NPS. The register changes NOTHING about ownership or what the owner can do with his property.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parent owned one, the was a main fort in the french and indian war, it was my grandfathers and when he died, my dad inherited. being designated like it and a offer of money, he sold it to a fort restoration group. Today it is a big draw to the city, they tore the house down and dug, cannons, rifles all kind of stuff behind the house stone foundation. I wanted to tear into the ground myself but could not. They have reenactments every year there and is open all year. My parents had lots of pressure to sell, I also went to a auction 3 years ago for a farm listed on the historical record with 100 acres house barn blacksmith building. It went for 1/4 of what it was appraised because of the restrictions on what you could do to the buildings.

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with being on the register. Your family sold it, you don't get to say what happens after that. New owners, new rules. You are confusing being on the register with the fact that you can't dig there just because your family USED to own it.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the surrounding properties were along with my grandfathers, we were the last ones there and the rest of the fort surrounded us in the main part. rather than using eminate domain, they agreed to hold out until his death, they offered good money but Richard Mellon was part of the fort restoration and grandfather worked in his coal mines and hated him. We still owned it but could not do anything to it.

and Jason it tells you right in your post :FEDERAL TAX INCENTIVES what do you think that is?

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the surrounding properties were along with my grandfathers, we were the last ones there and the rest of the fort surrounded us in the main part. rather than using eminate domain, they agreed to hold out until his death, they offered good money but Richard Mellon was part of the fort restoration and grandfather worked in his coal mines and hated him. We still owned it but could not do anything to it.

and Jason it tells you right in your post :FEDERAL TAX INCENTIVES what do you think that is?

It says MAY QUALIFY FOR, that means if you want to jump through a ton of more hoops, you MIGHT get tax write-offs. Still doesn't change the fact the being on the register CHANGES NOTHING ABOUT OWNERSHIP!

You sure like to pick and chose to look for the single word that might possible support your argument while ignoring the entire rest of the statement.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so remodel it, it's still yours. Why would a homeowner care if they are "on a list" if they can't rebuild their home? Rebuild and come off the list, big deal.

Read CLEARLY:

• National Register listing places no obligations on private property owners. There are no restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notice the guidelines, if you think that one sentence covers it all, then there is not need for the pages and pages of instructions and other information they give you about how to do things. and reviews it is all in the details, believe what you want, I seen it's affect in person.. besides it still belongs to the owner but they can take the designation away if you deviate from their
limitations and if you got the fed involved. grants etc it's even more difficult. I never said anything about ownership, I just said the designation can and will affect what you can do to the property if you want the designation or to keep one, there are limits in what you do when you have that historical registry title

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW old post :tongue3:

I Personally would ask the Owner if I can.

If they say yes, any rules they may offer up would apply.

as far as "state historic landmarks signs"
most are on Highway Property (Edge of Fields, Etc)
however some may be close enough to some property owners property
that they May take issue.

But very few are on the actual sites.

They are usualy placed in high traffic areas

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, if you WANT to involve the fed with asking for money handouts, THEN you have to jump through all their hoops. Just like the fed tells states "if you want our federal tax dollars to improve your roads and schools, then you have to do what we say". Don't ask for govt money, don't give them control of your property. You are letting greed $$$ dictate actions by surrendering control. You can still be on the register without doing any of that.

• National Register listing places no obligations on private property owners. There are no restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going to ask this question myself. Thanks for clearing up the confusion about National Historic Places home sites guys!

S

stefen

kayak, with all due respect for the answer that that archie-minded historian @ the Natural Park Service gave (which you repeat back here as the answer to the issue) : You've got to keep in mind something, when relying on such replies : Keep in mind the source. If they're of a purist archaeological mindset, then .... what did you expect ?

Example: It would be a little like asking a P.E.T.A. (animal rights wackos) rep: "Hi, can I leave my pet bunny in the car while I run into 7-11 to get a slurpee?" What do you think they would answer? They would shriek: "noooohhhh! You can be arrested for animal cruelty. The bunny could suffer in the hot car. Your car can be confiscated. You can be fined", etc.. etc... Heck, they could maybe even back up their assertions with actual laws about animal cruelty. Right ? But seriously dude, what did you expect coming from an animal rights wacko ? Hence so too do I put little stock into what some archies say/claim.

Tom,

Y'all were playing fair until you played the bunnie card...

S

stefen

There is a vast difference when comparing a property on the National Register and a "National Monument" such as CW Battle Ground...

We happen to own and reside in a 1890's Victorian home that is within a Dairyland Victorian Village (Ferndale CA) that is on the National Register...

The majority of the homes range from 1850 vintage to 1920's...and I'm sure that most owners wouldn't have heartburn if someone wanted to dig around.

I've yet to MD my own yards though...my wife would probable not give me permission...:laughing7:

Try entering Ferndale CA in Google Earth and have a look around...

Also look at the site: http://www.victorianferndale.com/

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Stefen! I was travelling through Ferndale in about 1988. Stopped at a B&B Victorian there to spend the night. It has a historic plaque planted RIGHT IN THE FRONT YARD. The next morning, while everyone was eating breakfast, I morphed the conversation into permission to detect. I got permission. I actually found a gold rush era foreign coin in the yard ! The town of Ferndale, as you know, was founded by persons coming back from the gold rush. PM me, and I'll give you the details of where it was found, what is was, etc.....

Last I heard, the coin, which was given to the owners of that B&B, had passed it on to the city musuem. And to my knowledge, it was put in the museum. But that was 25+ yrs. ago, so I'm not sure whatever happened to it. PM me and I'll give you more details.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good post Jason. I too caught the contradiction there of "private" yet "federal". Huh ?

Not a contradiction. It is a privately owned homesite and business which is on federally owned land. In fact , the national park service operates a different facility right next door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread