Muddy_Udders

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2008
Cottonwood, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start by telling you this is my first detector and I have had it a week, so I am new.
When I flip the toggle to pinpoint mode I dont seem to be able to consistently repeat the same coil position on different targets.
Sometimes the target will be under the words Wide Scan (Grey box)
Sometimes target will be under Pink box.
The instructions say the item will be in the center of the coil which I would believe is the green box.
Is the orange outline supposed to be where you dig?
Is there a way to pinpoint it down to a smaller area?
The yellow oval measures 3.5"x2.5" and my plugger is 2.5" in diameter so I keep missing the targets when I take a plug. Then I dig deeper and deeper only to find out I am off to the side by an inch.
I do an X from two different directions always moving my coil forward over the target until I get the highest pitch.
Am I missing some technique?
Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
Muddy

Attachments

• GEDC0139.JPG
    GEDC0139.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Muddy_Udders said:
I will start by telling you this is my first detector and I have had it a week, so I am new.
When I flip the toggle to pinpoint mode I dont seem to be able to consistently repeat the same coil position on different targets.
Sometimes the target will be under the words Wide Scan (Grey box)
Sometimes target will be under Pink box.
The instructions say the item will be in the center of the coil which I would believe is the green box.
Is the orange outline supposed to be where you dig?
Is there a way to pinpoint it down to a smaller area?
The yellow oval measures 3.5"x2.5" and my plugger is 2.5" in diameter so I keep missing the targets when I take a plug. Then I dig deeper and deeper only to find out I am off to the side by an inch.
I do an X from two different directions always moving my coil forward over the target until I get the highest pitch.
Am I missing some technique?
Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
Muddy
Muddy: try this: bury a coin, flat, at about 5 inches and if you can get one, get a golfers tee and stick in the ground so that it's flat with the surface but still visible (if you don't have a tee, anything will do). Detect the coin first and toggle to PINPOINT. Don't continue, just move the coil gently aside and see where the marker is in relationship to your marked areas. You can minimize the signal until it's just audible by constantly toggling while moving the coil to continue to find the signal. Once it's almost negligible, the most sensitive area of the coil will be right over your marker.

Silver Fox

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I don't have the Lobo but another method that might work is lay a coin on the ground after making sure the area is clear. Take Silver Fox's idea of the golf tee but use four of them. Make a large + sign big enough that you can see the entire coil with the tee's at the top, bottom, left, and right. The + center is the coin and the tee's show where it's at in relation to your coil for pinpointing the center of the coil. The loudest signal is where the hotspot of the coil is. Draw 2 imaginary lines (up and down/left and right) and see just where they intersect on your coil.

Attachments

• pinpoint.JPG
    pinpoint.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 165

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
I have a LST and on my coil there is a gold circle. It is right in front of the coil to stem mount and below the wide scan lettering.
To be honest I don't think I've used the pin point a dozen times in all the time I've owned it. This machine locates great just using the X pattern. Use the ideas above and with a little practice you should be fine.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Thinking about it again...that's the wide scan coil and not a concentric coil. It should pinpoint either on the toe or heel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread