Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knobs and Swithches

I compared the photo to the photos of the tan colored prototype at http://www.findmall.com/read.php?52,695796

The only difference in the controls is the "hi / Lo" knob is now a 3 position switch which is (I think) marked Hi - Both - Low.

Right Side
Battery condition LED
Threshold
3 pos. tone switch
Frequency
on/off switch

Left Side
Gain
Pulse Delay
Ground Balance
GB on/off switch

j.letson

Greenie
Apr 20, 2008
Re: Photo of new White's Pulsescan

It looks like a winner. I've been waiting patiently for this machine to come out. If the initial reviews are positive they are going to sell a ton of them.

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi George,

Well, the day has finally arrived!! Looks like another week or two, and then we can start to expect some reports. I wish Bob would've taken a photo from the top of the box to enable a view of the control labels...I couldn't make them out. Popped into the White's site, but did not see anything posted there.
Bob mentions a "lighter battery pack" but no specifics... have you heard anything about batteries? Also at a suggested price of $1599 I imagine the street price will be maybe 10% off, since it's White's (don't other makes generally go for around 15% off). By that estimate, around $1440 or so....almost $380 above the Infinium pricetag...but that's guesswork. It'll be interesting to make the comparison...thanks for the "heads-up" George. Jim.

PS: Couldn't resist including an example photo of the Pulscan's future target objective, should I get my hands on a unit in time for this season. Spices up the post too!! Odd though, since I resized my photos, they all seem blurry; I'll see if I can find something more suitable.

Hi Jim

One hell of a specimen there- 4lbs no less.
Drop in lithium ion battery pack for batteries.

Here is Steve H's write up on it.

http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/1210786419.html

With regards to the tones. Here is George Kinsey's comments on it

High Tone only - coins and high conductive metal targets
Low Tone only- Gold and Platinum Jewelry, nickles,and low conductive metal. I like it this way. Less confussion with the sound you hear.

Whites finally did listen to the mods Reg made- a tone reversal system. They really should send him a free detector for using his idea.

George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Hi Jim

"One question anyone...has this unit made any progress over other current models in terms of iron discrimination, large and small pieces.....or will iron respond with either a high or a low tone..depending on size? "

The TDI is based on the GS5. If it has the same characteristics as the GS5 it should be ideal for your purposes. Here is the deal. The GS5 was originally geared toward small gold and the original settings(GB) allowed some ferrous items to be detected as good targets. In addition iron produced a low tone(perhaps with a double blip) whereas small gold produced a high tone. High conductors also produced low tones. You have to remember that small gold(high value rings as well as small gold nuggets) were the targets.

However, what I found is that the ball game changed drastically when your goal is high conductor targets( silver and copper coins). With the correct GB settings on the GS5 all iron regardless of size and shape will produce a high tone whereas all high conductors will produce a low tone. I believe Reg actually found some wire which did produce a low tone. You see the "iffy" factor for iron has been removed for the GS5 if your objective is simply high conductors. Yes I can distinuish an AL pop can from a iron tin can.

Now Reg designed a tone reversal system for the GS5 which apparently will be incorporated in the TDI. In Regs mods for the GS5 high conductor targets will produce a high tone whereas iron and low conductors - small gold, lead, al will produce a low tone. Reg has been quite successfull in parks just digging high conductors such as silver and copper which produce high tones and competely ignoring iron. One possible explanation why Reg was so successfull was the park had high mineralization which may be the reason why earlier VLFs could not see them.

The above is what the GS5 can do. If the TDI can also do the above,for your objective of looking for high conductor native silver mixed in with iron trash I can't think of a better PI to look at other than the TDI( with the exception of the GS5).

The question which has not answered yet is this. Will Eric's "Afterburner" which he is currently working on for the GS5 can it be used on the TDI? It is designed to increase the depth of the GS5.

Happy Hunting
George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi George,

That's a darn good explanation, and let's hope I've got it right. High conductives equal high tone, low conductives (all sizes of iron, small gold, lead, aluminum etc) equal low tone. Now for my two questions......

Here's a couple of points. (a) the example of distinguishing the aluminum can from the iron can; depending on size, but let's say they're both large enough (esp the iron can) to give a high conductive reading on a typical VLF (we've all seen examples of pop cans or large iron reading like penny/dimes), how then does the unit determine the difference? Is it a case of iron is iron regardless of size and that's it? (b) here's something to consider a bit. Silver ores including native silver (esp small oz or multi oz pieces, but not limited to them) can read anywhere from foil range right up to silver quarter range...and most commonly read from nickel coin to pulltab range. Yes size is a factor, but not always significant enough to raise the conductivity much. It also highly depends on the presence of low conductive fringe elements (including iron and cobalt) that can pull conductivity levels way down on beautiful native specimens, structure (ie sponge, loosely formed dendritics, leaf formations and so forth), minor niccolite (NiAs...Nickel Arsenic) mineralization that elevate conductivity on most small to medium size high grade samples, and so on. Even slight increases in purity and/or "massiveness" of structure can make for large increases in conductivity, hence the wide spread conductivity range (of course, as another topic, that doesn't include iron trash masking in the field). OK.. that's the background explanation to substantiate the wide spread of readings that gives rise to this question.....What is the determining factor (and/or conductivity level?) where the unit decides which target will be a low tone or a high tone, and is there any way to make adjustments to it?

A little blabby George, but I hope that clarifies what I'm thinking about. BTW I realize you fully know all about various ore conductivities and associated nuances, but many readers will not, hence that explanation. For the first question, I'll guess that you're saying "iron is iron" and that is that. But it's a guess and I don't have a clue on question (b). Jim.

Hi Jim

Now for your question (a) you are correct. Iron is iron. The GS5 is not like a VLF in which some large iron will produce a good signal. Reg did find some wire that did fool him but it was the exception.

Question (B) is a lot more interesting. First off I can not tell you about the TDI's abilites as I have never used one. The following is for the GS5 which the TDI was based on. Let's lay down an example. We are using Reg's modified GS5 with the tone reversal at the local park. High conductor coins will produce a high tone. Small low conductors such as pulltabs, foil, small lead, small gold and all iron will produce a low tone and will be ignored. What actually will one find out there with the high tones? One will find copper and silver coins of all sizes. What else? Screwcaps will produce a high tone. In other words low conductors which are not small will produce a good high tone. For gold it is about 1/4 ounce. Regular pulltabs will be ignored but pulltabs slightly larger such as from food cans will produce a good high signal. Small brass cuff buttons will be ignored but larger coat buttons will produce a good high tone. Same way with lead. Small 22 caliber bullets will be ignored but minnie balls will produce a good high tone. It is not only the weight of the low conductor but the surface area as I have gold nuggets of the same weight but with different shapes that produce both tones.

You see the GS5 was geared for small women's high value gold rings and thus you could ignore a lot of targets which as it turned out made the GS5 more versatile. Not only will high conductor coins produce a good high signal but slightly larger lower conductors also. The slightly larger mass of low conductors which is not characteristic of small gold rings was essentially put in the less desireable tone.

If you had an ore specimen which was a mass of detectable low conductors I assume it would also produce a high tone if they were interconnected with a GS5. The greater the mass of low conductors so much the better. If you are talking sponge silver- that is an unknown factor as PIs do have problems with non solid metal.

How about iron? You can lay several nails over a dime and still get a good high tone. The point in which iron exceeds the total mass of the dime is where you get a bad low tone. The GS5 does have excellent separation. You can place a silver dime right next to a bottlecap and get a good high tone followed by a bad low tone. However, if you place the dime inside the bottlecap- you get a bad low tone.

It would be interesting if the excellent separation would have any benifits for larger specimens of variable purity.

The above of course is for the GS5 and not the TDI. I have been told the TDI is a different animal. As such I can not comment on what adjustments to the TDI one can make to make your work more productive. Of course the most prudent thing would be to test some of your specimens with the TDI. I would also make sure the dealer you test them with is well versed on the machine. You would be surprised at the number of well experienced VLF users who were basically clueless on how to operate this machine to it's full potential.

George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Jim Hemmingway said:
George,

It's apparent I've some serious reading to do on fundamental PI technology in order to carry on a half-ways intelligent conversation here. Nonetheless, I'll forge ahead and hope you don't get too frustrated!!

First, I somehow managed to gloss over Steve's remarks below without taking in the significance.

"Manual ground balance. This is very important because the ground balance sets the break point between the tones and allows some flexibility in setting that point. Some targets will always be hi tone, some always lo, and a third group of targets will flip-flop depending on where you set the control."

Certainly does partially answer the question regarding how adjustments can be made for deciding which of the middle ground (flip-flop) targets will respond as either high or low tone, I think. (plus, there's the pulse delay adjustment for optimizing target response...not quite sure where that fits into the overall scheme of things). Of course, this leads to the question (for a VLF'er to naturally ask), if GB is used to manipulate which targets will read where, then how does that relate to setting GB to the ground?

If you don't mind I'd like to refer back to your earlier comments, prior to Reg's modification:

" However, what I found is that the ball game changed drastically when your goal is high conductor targets( silver and copper coins). With the correct GB settings on the GS5 all iron regardless of size and shape will produce a high tone whereas all high conductors will produce a low tone. I believe Reg actually found some wire which did produce a low tone. You see the "iffy" factor for iron has been removed for the GS5 if your objective is simply high conductors. Yes I can distinguish an AL pop can from a iron tin can."

Where did the small non-ferrous targets respond? I'll guess it was the same as the iron...since after Reg's modification, conductives read high tone, and iron and small conductive gave low tone. Correct? The reason I'm asking, is that it appears by adjusting the GB, you've got some dandy options as to how you want high and low conductives to respond. For example, if gold hunting, it sounds as if a simple GB adjustment would place gold back into a high tone response (but maybe pick-up an occasional iron signal as well).

Whereas with the TDI, with Reg's mod included, it'll operate as you outlined on the immediately previous post...that's to say, high conductive=high tone, low conductive=low tone...and that includes all iron; but with slightly larger more conductive nonferrous targets, we may expect high tone readings as well....requiring a little testing to better assess. All the foregoing, if the TDI operates similar to the GS5. And, if gold hunting, the unit will be pretty much "dig all".

If the above is correct, it also explains to me why you were also using a further iron disc device (as discussed previously on a PM), to differentiate between iron, and high conductive targets at that time. Correct?

Separate thought: I don't know about the usefulness of good separation ability regarding variable conductivity in large ores, I doubt it has any practical value...but, it has the obvious, not to be easily dismissed value of dealing with close proximity iron trash. Again, if the TDI works similarly.

Finally, based on the reading material so far available, this unit looks like a winner; I don't know that we'd call it a breakthrough, but definitely a big step forward in terms of pricing, operating simplicity, and clearly understandable discrimination (even if it's limited discrimination). Reg's work indicates the disc is reliable as well. The only other considerations are the usual ones regarding depth and sensitivity, battery usage time.............

Yes, as a top flight organization, I anticipate White's will make some arrangement to acknowledge Reg's successful contribution. Jim.

Hi Jim
Reg has said it best with his post below. You are using GB for metal ID. Reg normally sets his GB by detecting a screwdriver to produce his GB point.
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/1210821989.html

"Now, don't confuse the normal ground balance or normal GB setting with this new iron reject feature where you use a single tone and set the GB control such that most iron is ignored. When most iron is ignored, the GB is shifted somewhat from what what is the more common setting.

I am trying to draw a graph somewhat similar to what you did for the VLF. You will see that it is quite different than that of the VLF, since PI's ignore ferrite.
10:00 position 12:00 position(common
-Large silver/copper-small silver/copper - iron++++++++ GB++++++++++thin ferrous
here here
Large gold*************** ******* smaller gold*******1/4 oz**********small gold

This graph thing is hard to do on this forum, but, hopefully, will show up like I see on the preview. Keep in mind that the GB point is the point where signals change tones. Any object before the GB point will give a low tone and those past the GB point will create a high tone when the GB control is set at the normal GB setting. So large gold can act more like silver, while small gold will act more like tin can metal except the gold will generally be a much more mellow tone.

If you adjust the GB location back by adjusting the GB control, then those targets that fall in the range at the new GB point will be ignored and some objects will change tones. Set the GB point at the location where ferrous objects just start to change and you have most ferrous causing a high tone, while silver/copper and larger gold causing a low tone. " Reg

Now the normal setting of the GB for the GS5 is at the 12:00 position. This is the GB position on the graph. Using the original tones(not tone reversal) items such as small gold ,small lead, small pulltabs will produce a high tones whereas high conductors such as coins will produce a low tone. Now you move back the GB to the 10:00 position and the GB position is now at the iron icon. So all iron yes even small iron and small low conductors will produce a high tone and will be ignored.

I have not had any problems with mineralization but I don't detect in hot ground. If I did encounter hot ground I would go to a DD coil.

Yes you are correct in that there are limitations in gold hunting. If your objective is gold greater than 1/4 ounce you will never dig another piece of iron. However, most gold is a lot smaller than that. In addition regular PI mode with no ground balance is more sensitive than employing GB mode. For my operations I ran in PI mode(most sensitive) with the Ferrous Hound magnetometer. It was more of a time saver in high trash areas. If my mag did not hit on an object I will change to GB mode with the settings at the 10:00 position. Non ferrous items (large gold above 1/4 ounce will produce a low tone here as well as other high conductors) and small lead and gold would produce a high tone. The low tones were dug(I actually found some old coins this way)as they were non ferrous and hope springs eternal that a large nugget lay beneath. Now the ferrous hound was not perfect as very thin flat iron was not detected more than an inch or two in the soil with the mag. However, moving the GB beyond the 12:00 position and if flat thin iron you would get a low tone commonly with a double blip. Small gold and small lead(yes usually small lead) would still produce a good high tone at this position. There will be exceptions to any rule. There were some heat treated steel that produced high tones at the 12:00 position but these were normally not dug as the mag would pick them up.
For beach work the mag could detect recent bottle caps which the GS5 would give a high tone down to 6".

With regards to pulse delay- well that is for experimentation . Actually I feel a lot more can be done with metal ID using different pulse delays with an elliptical coil. For example what if one have a handle button to change pulse delay from 10 to 25 and were using an elliptical coil.

An example for the GS5

small copper Penny Pulse delay 10 Pulse delay 25
middle of coil response low tone middle of coil response low tone
toe response low tone toe response high tone

silver dime and quarter Pulse delay 10 Pulse delay 25
middle of coil response low tone middle of coil response low
toe response high tone toe response low

You see where I am going here.

I hope the above is more clear.
George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Jim Hemmingway said:
George,

Thankyou. The last post made the the GB adjustment as a discrimination device crystal clear.. I think (which means..maybe it did, and maybe it didn't..yep, I think it's clear...we'll see). I hope the TDI has at least the same adjustment range.

It seems to me that (without the benefit of a magnetometer) searching for targets with a potentially full, wide range of conductivity presents a unique challenge, even with the GS5 disc abilities (translate "TDI").

As noted previously, (with a silver nugget size beyond an ounce or so), size and/or mass of silver material..whether a small or large specimen, has little relation to conductivity levels. Inherent purity and structure, in conjunction with attached/intrusive mineralized high/low conductive fringe elements are the main factors deciding overall conductivity. The point is then, where the effect of a larger size/mass food container pull tab (as opposed to a regular "small" popcan tab), to use your example, would be to elevate it into the coin/high conductive tone range, a similar comparison with silver material is not viable.

It seems to me that assuming the TDI has the same GB abilities as the GS5, (again, without benefit of a magnetometer, and for the sake of argument..lets presume the set-up is still pre-mod GS5 as illustrated with your graph), and desiring to detect all potential silver target conductivities while excluding iron, we ultimately have two choices (1) search any given area twice, (a) with GB set initially at roughly 10 o'clock to keep all high conductives separate from other targets (b) with GB set perhaps slightly in advance of 12 o'clock to keep all low conductives separate from other targets (except possibly some thin flat iron). Or, (2) install a second GB control so that each GB control can be individually set for the above (a) and (b) configurations. In fact, dual discrimination, if it is possible to do.

Otherwise, if you want to detect the full conductivity range , iron remains an issue, and I believe your magnetometer response was the only reliable alternative. Pls correct me if I've really missed something here, George.

One other confusing point about ground balance. My understanding is that PI units without ground balancing generally do better than VLF units in various mineralizations because of the inherent nature of the PI circuitry (I think). Then we read that for improved depth, ground balancing is required...a PI unit suitable for prospecting must have ground balancing. So far so good. These questions are for anyone (1) how does this ground balance actually perform balancing out mineralization, when it's used as the primary (or only) discrimination control. Or is mineral balancing achieved simply by turning on the GB control?
(2) on the Minelab SD 2200v (as opposed to the 2100v's manual GB) we get automatic ground balancing for several hundreds $'s more. How does this auto ground balance work compared to manual, and can it be used similar to the GS5 to set discrimination patterns, or is this comparing oranges to apples?

Hi Jim
Most of your points are correct in my opinion. However, this statement I do disagree with.

"The point is then, where the effect of a larger size/mass food container pull tab (as opposed to a regular "small" popcan tab), to use your example, would be to elevate it into the coin/high conductive tone range, a similar comparison with silver material is not viable."
Well this is not really correct as the larger pulltab is not in the coin/high conductive tone range. It still is a lower conductor. Instead of using different sized pulltabs let's use pulltabs and screwcaps. Same material but the screwcap is slightly larger. The GS5 will ignore the pull tab but pick up the screwcap on our 10:00 setting.
On a VLF the TID will read the following.(Well it would vary on which machine you would use)
silver dime 38
screw caps 28-30
The square tab with 2 holes = 26
The square tab with one hole = 24
The big pop top ring = 20

As you can see the increase in TID numbers does not jump up to the coin/high conductivity level.
It may after all be size discrimination using the 10:00 position. Small dime size low conductor silver specimens may be ignored whereas quarter sized specimens detected. Perhaps the actual mass of the low conductivity metal would be more important than actual composition. Playing around with actual silver specimens would be interesting and would reveal what the truth really is.

Regarding ground balancing- well I have never used the GS5 in hot soil. In most cases I run my machine in PI mode which is not ground balanced but I am not in hot soil either. This increases the sensitivity- depth of the machine. Eric's machines such as the Goldquest which does not have ground balancing actually have done well in the field nugget hunting. But a good prospecting PI should have GB when it is needed.

Minelab has finally concluded the same thing. Hence it's new option of yes and no for ground balancing for the GPX4500. However, Eric incorporated this option into his machines a long time ago. Eric's newer models of the GS5 ;have incorporated increased variability in GB. This is because these models are designed for gold prospecting in hot OZ ground.

I imagine if you are in really hot ground and have to run the GB beyond the 12:00 position for a quiet machine this would present some problems. You would probably have to use the 10:00 position as a metal check only if your goal is high conductors only. For me trying a DD coil would be the next thing I would try.

But all of the above is speculative as we really don't know what the TDI is capable of. We may indeed laugh at our discussions here when the TDI is released and commented upon.

I used to own a SD 2200- a hell of a machine depthwise but not effective for iron ID. As it employed auto GB and the pulse delay was not adjustable, it was certainly not something one could experiment with. In addition Minelabs employ a dual tone (wee/woo or woo/wee) whereas the GS5 is a single tone. Even J.P. revealed that the "new" iron ID in the new GPX4500 was not very good. This is not to say that Minelab does not have a PI with a great iron discriminator with metal ID already perfected in their vault someplace.( It may be due for release when Dave introduces his Pulse Devil ;D ;D ;D). Now that's a conspiracy which is not backed up by the facts ;D ;D ;D ;D

In short- the holy grail of PI's has not been introduced yet. The ability to ignore iron and yet ID low and high conductors to total depth is still not here yet.

George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi George,

First, let's take a closer look at this quote:

"But all of the above is speculative as we really don't know what the TDI is capable of. We may indeed laugh at our discussions here when the TDI is released and commented upon."

Well maybe some folks, but not me; nearly all conversation here has been about how the GS5 functions...and if the TDI doesn't fit, the GS5 looks almost ideal, period. One quick little GB adjustment and a second reading over the same target should provide a good indication of whether the target is high/low conductive...or iron...if I understand correctly. Also, no iron falsing is a dream. Thanks to your information, I now appreciate a good deal of this unit's potential.

Let's move on to another quote, since I want to comment on the final result:

Well this is not really correct as the larger pulltab is not in the coin/high conductive tone range. It still is a lower conductor. Instead of using different sized pulltabs let's use pulltabs and screwcaps. Same material but the screwcap is slightly larger. The GS5 will ignore the pull tab but pick up the screwcap on our 10:00 setting.
On a VLF the TID will read the following.(Well it would vary on which machine you would use)
silver dime 38
screw caps 28-30
The square tab with 2 holes = 26
The square tab with one hole = 24
The big pop top ring = 20

It may after all be size discrimination using the 10:00 position. Small dime size low conductor silver specimens may be ignored whereas quarter sized specimens detected. Playing around with actual silver specimens would be interesting and would reveal what the truth really is.

OK...you've made reference to "lower conductor" pulltab and screwcap "size discrimination" in reference two different configurations of aluminum. My point is that all of these traits...size, metal conductiveness, shape, structure...
ultimately result in a final conductivity rating by the detector. Yes, indirectly for example, size is considered by the detector insofar as it contributes to the conductivity, but the detector circuitry does not report the size, or shape or structure and so on, but rather it reports the final verdict in terms of conductivity. Including your items conductivity ratings above, indicates in the final analysis, that you agree, (I think).

Thus, for manufactured items of precision repeatability, it is very easy for circuit designers to establish where different known configurations will read on the meter, and thus where we can set discrimination with a reasonabe knowledge of what will be included and excluded. A screwcap for instance, because of different physical traits than a pulltab, despite identical metal composition, has a higher conductivity, and as you say for a 10:00 position..will be included with the high conductives.

If there were two (metal content, purity, structure and shape) identical silver pieces of different size, then yes, the larger size would have the higher conductivity rating on the meter (up to a practical point ultimately); but in the case of naturally occurring ores, all ores are random to varying degrees. There is no doubt, I'll readily concede, that size must have some undetermined effect, but you cannot directly predict randomness (as compared to manufactured precision) without precise scientific measurement and statistical analysis to high confidence limits for an extraordinary large number of samples (theoretically); and therefore we will find in practical application, that many small and large high conductive pieces will fit into the high conductive tone, but an appalling number of beautiful, small and large pristine native silver ores (due to some structural trait, intrusive mineralization, whatever) will have conductivities identical to or less than nickels, thus falling into the low conductive tone....and size has no apparent impact at all, or at least not nearly enough to rival the impact of other more decisive factors. Take a good look at the native silver in calcite picture posted above; it's conductivity on a White's Spectrum is exactly "8"...the middle of foil range, because the calcite is loaded with iron mineral. Yet I can show you innumerable small nuggets no larger than a quarter, that would read in the screwcap to copper penny range...why.....no mineral. Size is not the decisive factor at all.

Well, that's the best case I can make here; I'll concede the best logic must meet satisfactorily with reality, or otherwise bow to it. Otherwise, come prospecting with me, you'll have such a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable time, by the end of it you'll be willing to agree the sky isn't blue... if you can stay clear of the bears, that is.

One final thing George, I'm not at all clear on the ground balancing of mineralization. I understand about setting the GB for disc purposes, but how do you determine where to set it to ensure iron mineral is balanced out? What's the relationship, or main decisive factor...or is it just a case of having an adjustable range where any setting in that range will do in low mineral, but the range is more restricted in higher mineral? This is the key question that I do not understand. And BTW, how much $ dollars is the GS5?

Jim.

Hi Jim

With regards to your ores, I have to bow to your more intimate knowledge. You know the vast range of conductivities of your ores. Having a range of conductivities from 8 to 40+ certainly makes things more complicated. Indeed when you first mentioned native silver specimens I naively assumed we were talking about high conductive specimens. In a way you have really answered your own questions. Considering the vast range of composition and conductivities of your ores you simply need a PI that can eliminate or properly ID all iron with a high degree of reliability. No second passes, variable GB settings or missing certain specimens because of unusual composition because your GB was set incorrectly. You know what you have to do. I am afraid you will have to wait for the Nemesis. It will be in the same price range as the TDI. When I receive mine I will be glad to test some of your specimens for you.

With regards to my statement of a different animal for the TDI compared to the GS5. You have to remember that Eric as well as the White's engineers have been actively testing and modifying this machine for a few years now. I know they were interesting in improving iron ID as Whites borrowed my Ferrous Hound for testing with the TDI. I doubt if the TDI is going to be a clone of the GS5. Improvement of iron ID could negate the need for a 10:00 position.

Well happy Hunting
George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi George,

Well, don't abandon your views on the above just yet, I've been wrong so often in the past as to know there are rarely black and whites regarding much in life.

With that thought in mind, I've temporarily posted three photos below to illustrate variable conductivities due to structure in the first two photos, and due to minor nickel-arsenic-cobalt mineralization in the last photo. There is no iron present in either of the three samples that I can determine.

The little dude, though having only three structurally massive oz reads up in the silver quarter range, while the much larger 1.8 lb sample (containing much more silver weightwise)... structurally is disseminated, spongy and leafy silver..and reads low foil range at about "6" on the Spectrum. Structure. The third sample, large and massive, reads in the penny/dime range, I believe the reduction in conductivity is due to very minor nickel-arsenic-cobalt mineralization pulling the conductivity down just a bit. Soon as I see you've posted back I'll remove all these photos...don't like to leave 'em up too long.

Regarding the TDI, I expect my favourite prospector from Alaska will have more to say in the coming weeks. I place a lot of stock in Steve's opinions. The Nemesis has been in R&D for a long time now, has there been any indication beyond your last post in that regard? That post included a link or direct photo of the unit, so it's gotta be about ready you'd think.

One last thought about iron and variable ore conductivities. Now you can fully appreciate why (over the last 4 months or so) my posts were so intent on locating a non-existent "do all" detector that would meet prospecting criteria and effectively/reliably indicate somehow (not necessarily discriminate) the presence of larger iron debris in tailing piles. My new F-75 is an unlikely candidate in that regard, but I may use it for all the other qualities it does possess. If EMI in remote areas that still suffer from tower transmissions remains a factor, well, it's gone. The only VLF unit I've ever come across that will accurately and reliably identify large iron is the signagraph on my XLT Spectrum...I presume later models with the same graph will work as well. Audio is not as reliable, but still workable most times. It's no fun packing two detectors everywhere.

I've enjoyed having this opportunity to discuss many facets of detecting with you George, a rare opportunity for me to learn from a seasoned veteran. Thankyou, and pls don't forget to post back so I can remove the photos. Jim.

PS: This thread has been so interesting and informative, I wonder why others have not chimed in...there are many knowledgeable PI users out there.....?

Hi Jim

OMG What beautiful specimens!!!!! The heck with the gold- Give me 1.8 lb silver specimens anytime.
Yes, I agree the low 6 TID reading on that 1.8 lb silver specimen had less to do with composition but more to do with structure. I have a few wire gold- gold sponge specimens which are not detectable with my PI. They are also not detectable or have a low response with mult-frequency VLFs. Single frequency VLFs fare better. It is why in some areas of Colorado PI's just are not effective. I believe the point is sort of like a gold chain. A lot of detectors do not see the chain as a whole but only see each link. I bet if the silver in that specimen was not disseminated but massive like your other specimens it would read in the high conductor area.

Yes Steve posted a picture of his new toy. It really is great to be a dealer and be able to play with the new toys first. He already is being pushed for his thoughts on the TDI. I am sure as always he will give an outstanding evaluation of the TDI.

Dave- Well last I heard he received 20 complete Nemesis kits from his suppliers. I contacted my dealer but he had not received one yet. Steve is hoping to have one by the end of May for his mining operations- but I suspect he is not holding his breath.

Happy Hunting
George

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW that's a lot of info. :icon_study: Any input on how it should work for detecting Meteorites?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread