Will a Whites Coinmaster detect Gold Nuggets?

squidlips

May 17, 2008
Hi There,

I am a noobee looking to go gold prospecting in some local hills.

Up for auction is a Whites Coinmaster 5000 d (GEB) Metal detector.

It has discriminate, sensitivity, ground balance, tuner and it is in great condition and priced well.

I will purely be hunting gold in untouched bushland (I live in Australia)

Will this detector be suited for locating gold nuggets?

Many thanks for any advice,

Marc.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can find larger nuggets mainly in all metal. The common small ones it might overlook or the signal can get lost in the ground noise. For nuggets you better off with a detector that is more designed for them.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
NO- I imagine that detector will be worthless for you. Here in the US yes it probably could find some larger nuggets like most machines but is not geared for gold prospecting.

However, you live in OZ the land of incredible mineralization . Oz gold prospectors all use Minelab PIs which can handle the mineralization. They don't really need discrimination in the outback as they dig all signals. Buy a used Minelab PI.

George

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Operated in the all-metal mode, and carefully ground balanced, it will find wheat grain sized and larger nuggets. BETTER choice would be an MXT, or GMT.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I'm of the opinion that any MD will find Gold in the sense that it will find mineralized soil and tell you were to dig. A MD that finds iron can find concentrated black sand so the odds are your in the right area since the heavy black sand will concentrate in the same places as gold. Granted you then must use other techniques to remove the gold but the detector "found" that rich spot. So in a sense any detector has the ability to find flour gold. As for the gold machines Yes they do a better job but how many times have you used a wrench as a hammer to get it done now vs waiting for that specialized tool a hammer. Knowing your equipment helps a great deal too and will give you an edge. How often will you practice nugget recovery techniques in your yard? Are you able to go out to the gold fields to learn and practice? If not a non gold specific MD may be a better choice as it will get more use giving you more knowledge of it's practical application and make you a better hunter. Just some rambling opinion's. People told me for years my antique Compass wouldn't find gold and I would simply say I'm smarter then dirt and the machine combined. Of course that tended to extend the argument.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread