Magnets on MDs

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Was thinking on making a MD stand for a MXT to keep it out of the beach sand. Thought to attach it to the control box with magnets when the thought crossed my mind about ruining a watch years ago with a magnet. Now it doesn't seem a magnet would negatively effect the electronics in any way, but though some of you folks know something I don't. Hate to find out "too late" I was wrong. HH Urb.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
perhaps velcro would be a better choice?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also would vote for the Velcro. But the idea sparks in me to attach a magnet to my brother in law's coil some how without him noticing. I once attached a bread wrapper wire to his 1280 and it took him a while to figure out what was going on. If you knew my brother in law you would understand.

OP
OP
Urban Prospector

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Thought of using a plastic C clip type thing from the plumbing dept. but like the idea of being able to take the stand off, touch it to something on my bags and move on. Used Velcro and it seems stronger the the glue/tape holding it on, ended up using two hands to separate the hooks from the loops or just ripping them both off together. Then there's the adhesive boogers left behind. Not to mention I worked in foundries all my life and just prefer metal. P.S. I can relate to the bro in law. Mine recently decided he needed to paint my dog ,with a bucket, from the second story window. He couldn't see (through one regular and one black eye) what I was so made about.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
magnets can damage certain electronics, an disk, tapes ,an even affect the operation of a pace maker.Will it hurt a metal detector, not sure I would want to try it .You could maybe write the service dept. an see what they tell you an even their answer could be diffrent for each machine .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the super magnets rare earth and they will mess up your detector ....I will guarantee if you put a strong magnet on your detector you will have a large repair bill...............Or you will be buying a new detector..............

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
They have those plastic wire ties, I use them on everything. They come in every size. But they used to make a stand out of metal that went around the back of the shaft and had a screw go through it to tighten iit on.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Urban Prospector said:
Was thinking on making a MD stand for a MXT to keep it out of the beach sand. Thought to attach it to the control box with magnets when the thought crossed my mind about ruining a watch years ago with a magnet. Now it doesn't seem a magnet would negatively effect the electronics in any way, but though some of you folks know something I don't. Hate to find out "too late" I was wrong. HH Urb.
If you go to Ebay and type in...MXT Whites...there is a mxt stand that some one makes and sells for about $15.00 and if you don't want to buy one it might give you a idea on how to make one now dont type in metal detector just type in...mxt whites...

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnets won't hurt the circuitry. Go for it.

- Carl

Tommygunn

Apr 21, 2008
Misano Adriatico, Italy
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236X2
Why not have a pole/pipe/stick with a hook on the end which you ram into the sand ala umbrella. Then you could hang the armrest of the MD onto this pole.
To allow this you could do what I have done to hang my MD on my garage wall. I've tied a piece of paracord around the base of the armpiece so that it can be hung from a hook.
You can also attach some kind of snaplink or keyring thinga-me-bob to allow you to hang it from a beach umbrella etc.
CIMG0001B.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread