Upvote 0

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Re: Has your detector Finds literally "paid for itself?"

It is important to me that my tools pay for themselves.
No free ride around here.
Some have taken longer than others, and I've never seen a return I could rely upon, but that's my fault.

On a daily basis, I can't make the fuel expense.
Some amount has to be counted for R & R, though.

HH
rmptr

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

My two latest detectors....

The dfx has paid for itself easily in 1 1/2 years. Counting clad and jewelry sold. Still have several gold items also that I found with it that I will be selling to add extra equipment.

This year the explorer is well on the way...over $300 in clad alone, not counting jewelry gold/silver. The dfx and Se have become very close friends in my trunk and could both use a bath! :D :)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

I dug a $5.00 Gold Piece last year, so my TreasureAce 250 has been paid for. Now, I'm working to pay off my Tesoro Cibola.

DM

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When we buy a car, or an ATV--we don't think of it "paying for itself." We get Use and Enjoyment out of what we do with what we buy. With that in mind, I've never really thought about my detector paying for itself--or worried about it...

My Fisher 1266-X was purchased in 1992 for a little under $500. I figure I've paid for it between 8 and 10 times over by now.

BUT in terms of gasoline, batteries, gear, etc... I will NEVER be ahead. I refuse to look at the hobby on a monetary basis, because I might start to think about how those OTHER dollars besides the detector's cost might've been better spent. :-\

When I drive to see a movie, and buy a ticket for Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull--I don't worry about making my money back.

When I go to the gun range to squeeze off some DAMNED expensive rounds >:( , I don't worry about making my money back.

When I buy a book to read...

and the list goes on...and on...

I'm in this hobby for the history. I'm in it for the camaraderie. I'm in it for the moments of Glory.

(And all of those are impossible to put a dollar value on.)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have many detectors and I know they have paid for themselves a few times, but I don't count that anymore. When I started I worried if I could find enough to pay for batteries, but soon I didn't worry about that. I never bothered to add up the money I spent on Bass boats and tackle for chasing a fish I wasn't going to eat either. Placed in the money only a few times but never high enough to pay for my motel rooms or food. But it was fun. :headbang:

I think it is just because we are digging up money that people think we need to count it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
I think it is just because we are digging up money that people think we need to count it.

I agree with you, Sandman. Those who don't count it are indeed rich. :)

Regards,

Buckles

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I've invested in an ACE 250 for myself and my DH as well as 2 vibra probes and a sniper coil. If I sold the jewelry I found then I probably would be about even right now, after only a year and a few months. Of course, I'm a woman...I like the jewelry so I probably won't sell much until I get a bunch of stuff I don't like. Now I'm saving my clad to buy a water machine.

bass99

May 9, 2005
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quite a few times, probably took less than two years. But it only takes one nice ring or coin too take care of the price. Learn your machine and she'll sing to you. When I got back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus I bought a bounty hunter IV and within two months found a 14K wedding band that easily paid it off. Just keep hunting and it will happen.
bass

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

I really don't count the money, clad. For me, my machines pay me back in joy of the hunt.

B

BIG61AL

no ....

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend

No, but neither have my golf clubs, fishing rods or deer rifles and handguns. :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paid off my $1,050 GTI with a find 2-3 weeks after purchase. Can you say.. Hooked!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, on my 2nd hunt I found a 18kt mens wedding band. and then I have my clad count below.

midas888gold

Greenie
Jun 22, 2008

Yep, pays for itself. Paid for my DFX with finds in 1 season. My Minelab paid for itself in 2 1/2 months. I detect for fun, but also as a way of making EXTRA money. Been at it since 1964. Bought my first 2 New cars with stuff I found. Saving up for a new van. Should have enough finds in another 2 years.

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I just do it for a source of xtra income and I like the historical aspect..

If I want to just get outdoors, I can go running or walking.

Larry

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

Yep! Many times over. But that's not why I hunt. I feel like a real treasure hunter when I go hunting! It's so exciting to find a new place to detect, test it out, and find......whatever! Clad (love it....turned in over $240.00 last year), rings (over 149 to date gold and silver), old coins...my favorites are an 1876 half dollar & a 3 cent piece, I found a "boyd's battery" that blew my mind (google it). So, all this to say, for me, I think my success in based on the passion I have for the hobby. Somone once said, "Do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life!" That's how I feel about md'ing.

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland

U.K. Brian said:
Paid for themselves and my house/car/motorhome etc

Teach me, Master :) LOL

Truth is I may never pay for my machines. But never stopped to look at it that way. And this is comming from someone who really cant afford much of a hobby right now :/ Kinda hitting hard times right now, along with alot of other people. But I must say its nice to have SOMETHING that helps me clear the old noggin ya know. Good to have something I can do that keeps me from being a big stress ball all the time :)

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just cashed in $132 from two years hunting to pay for a traffic ticket. :-\

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab

I'm just getting into the hobby side of this with a coin and relic machine, but did make a living at it in the goldfields for several years. If you're swinging for a living (not something I'd recommend for most folks), you better find more than that just to keep you in beans and beer. It's nice if a hobby can help pay for itself, but I'd have to say it isn't important.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread