Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

LuckyBeeps

Greenie
Aug 1, 2008
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Has your detector Finds literally "paid for itself?"

I would say that even though I have only found .39 so far, my Ace 250 has paid for itself in spades. This is an awesome hobby, I love it and every time I go out I love it more. It doesn't matter to me what I find. Every piece of aluminum foil, pull tab, bottle top, penny, nickel, dime, and quarter are treasures that were buried and forgotten. Until I found them. It's a great feeling and I am totally hooked.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

funny, was gonna ask the same thing couple days ago.
I am currently dreaming up a way to get an Excal II, even though this is the worst financial time we've had,
I told my wife I need a hobby to release the stress, and md'ing is one of a few hobbies that can pay for itself, eventually. :thumbsup:

I think having a $1200 machine then knowing you paid it off with some finds,makes future finds just icing on the cake....
maybe I'll hit Galveston and just dig random holes and with dumb luck find a couple rings :tard: LOL,get my machine
fund going........ :'(

But not knowing what you will find is cool and good exercise.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If I count the value of the finds against the cost of my Impulse 8, about 2 times over along the beaches of FL and NC since 1991. If I count just the clad, probably not.... but I have 8 detectors. I have some catching up to do. It's just a matter of time. At my age, with the titanium in my back SCREAMING at me everytime I go out detecting, I may not be able to catch up. TTC

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2

We own (5) machines three are Tesoros and two Fishers all have paid for theselves many times over. My rule is no new or used detectors until you find enough clad to pay for them period. We do not use the expensive Minelab or top of the line digital Whites. We use bread and butter machines, manual discrimination, etc. We have also paid for our riding mower and rototiller with detecting finds and have never sold any gold, silver, or older coins, only the clad goes every year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My July 4Th 2008 finds alone paid for my water proofed Sovereign GT with WOT I bought used for $600..........

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,166870.msg1215279.html#msg1215279

Excluding the July 4Th finds I have 3 more diamond rings I found that the wife has, over $1200 more in gold if I choose to scrap it, and over $600 in clad coins.

SYKO, the $1200 is not lost, it is just invested in a different manner, the interest is paid in many different forms some of which is gold, silver and diamonds. If you buy a good detector the resale on it down the road is high. Look at what used Excals sell for several years old now.

Now add on top of this the exercise you get, the stress release I know I feel, the ability to enjoy the beach, the sound of the surf, the fresh air, and the eye candy. :thumbsup: ;D

( Hint, the eye candy is probably not a good selling point for the wife ;D)

I am still a newbie, and I only get to beach hunt maybe 3 times a month.....

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well not yet, In this first year I collected $326 in clad and about 7-8 silver rings. so if if sold them or melted them I'd probably be about $400 + or - . But when I bought, it was not my goal to pay for the detector. i love the hobby and need my daily/weekly fix of detecting. I'm still having fun on every hunt. When it's not fun no more I'll quit.

fccdfed

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FCCDFEd, I know what you mean. When I see a beach scene on tv I find myself thinking about how to detect it.

Fishenfool

Feb 28, 2008
Salem, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, V3, BH

I've had my XLT for 2 months and have found enuf rings to pay for it easy

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

Treasure_Hunter said:
FCCDFEd, I know what you mean. When I see a beach scene on tv I find myself thinking about how to detect it.

lol, I know what you mean, I've been seeing a lot more beach scenes lately in movies.
Also when the tv reporters are at the beach I drive the wife crazy telling her that looks like a good spot to detect.
I look over their shoulders looking for anybody md'ing in the background.

p.s.
I've followed your posts and have a hard time thinking of u as a newbie,with that many machines and those
finds, I'd say you're doing really great. I'm currently machineless,(but this site is so friendly and helpful,so I hang out),
but as soon as I can get one I will go after a beach md,Excal 2 hopefully.
I'm not totally new to md, had a Garrett 750,but devoted little time,now I want back in to md universe. :icon_pirat:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SYKO said:
I'm currently machineless,(but this site is so friendly and helpful,so I hang out),
but as soon as I can get one I will go after a beach md,Excal 2 hopefully.
I'm not totally new to md, had a Garrett 750,but devoted little time,now I want back in to md universe. :icon_pirat:

Your profile doesn't say where your at, if your in central Florida let me know, I always have a spare detector with me when I go that you can borrow if you wish...........

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

I have had my detector for 8 months and I was lucky
enough to find a "Banner Find" last month that sold
and paid for my detector AND my next one..... when
I decide which one I want. :icon_jokercolor: :tard:

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Not even close for me.

In 7 years of on and off hunting i've come up with enough clad and a few silver rings that might pay for the vibraprobe I don't use anymore.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

Thanks for the offer TH, but I live in Houston, I wish I could hit Florida and would love to take you up on that offer. :thumbsup:

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have all four detectors that I have ever bought. I can pay for all of them with one of the Confederate plates that I have found. A former hunting buddy sold his collection and bought a new pickup truck with what he got. I have given some of my civil war artifacts away but I have never sold any. I think my buttons alone would pay for all my detectors.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY

I paid for my first detector the ace250 in about a year just finding clad. I found an 1850 era 18k gold ring valued at 2 grand that if I was to sell it would pay for my cortez and f75 but since it was my first gold ring and its old and pretty I will probably hold on to it, or I should say my wife will. lol. TMAN...

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Larsmed said:
Mine hasn't just yet....

Have you been keeping track of your finds to see if it paid off?

This all I want to know...If this question bothers you, then you dont have to answer.

Larry

Dont give up the Hunt!

Larry I've been doing this for 40 years and I've been paid back but not in money.

No, I've spent many thousands on detectors. One great thing about today is there's ebay. Years ago I'd buy a new detector and when I went to sell it I was lucky to get 1/4 back of what I paid for it new. Back then you pretty much had to buy a new machine. Used machines were very difficult to locate.

Some people get paid back in the value of their finds but up here in northern Michigan that would be a dream.

Just being outside and enjoying an occasional decent find makes it all worth it.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Just paid mine off...AGAIN...with one scoop yesterday... 22.8 grams Platinum, scrap value currently, $1000.00!!

Attachments

• 8-18-08-4.jpg
    8-18-08-4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 8-18-08-4.jpg
    8-18-08-4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 250

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Larsmed said:
Mine hasn't just yet....

Have you been keeping track of your finds to see if it paid off? This all I want to know...If this question bothers you, then you dont have to answer. Larry
Dont give up the Hunt!

I am keeping track of finds but only for my own amusement. I am easily satisfied and the hunt itself is the reward. Like fishing. If it isn't fun why bother?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread