Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Some of you have voiced your concerns for us about hunting in sweltering, tick-infested woods here during the summer...So I though I would take a moment to share a tip or two...

First off, woods hunting in 90 degree weather during the peak times for ticks means adopting a different strategy and "feel" for a hunt. Ticks ARE serious--because of the diseases they can carry. Dehydration is another serious factor.

So here are a few tips, and a checklist of gear:

1. As with any woods hunting, take care not to fall down a well.

2. Every member of your team should have a compass on them, or a GPS unit.

3. Take several gallons of water. A Camel-Back is great for this. Even if you don't feel thirsty, keep drinking every break. By the time you are thirsty, it's too late.

4. Take something to sit on--be it a folding lightweight stool or (as we do) take a tarp with you. A tick-free place to sit or lie down greatly reduces the amount of wear and tear on you that the heat causes. (If you're worried about sitting on a large tarp with another dude or hunting buddy, take turns sitting and resting. ::) )

5. Hunt in short shifts of 45 minutes or so. The heat and rigors of pulling branches aside, kicking deadfall out of the way, and swinging the detector through vines and underbrush can take its toll on your mental abilities. No matter what detector you use, your Ambition and Concentration are your most valuable tools. Without them, you won't be able to make Great finds without dumb, blind luck. And extreme heat can deprive you of mental focus quickly.

Here's a list of some of the most important gear we pack with us. All of these are Essential for ticky, sweltering woods:

1. Polyester-blend professional Fishing/Hunting wear. This blend dries quickly, is anti-microbial, SUV protectant, and takes moisture away from the body. Ticks also have a more difficult time grabbing hold of it than they do jeans, cotton, denim, etc. This gear is expensive. Pants and long-sleeved shirt will cost you $75 or so. Buy a light color so that you'll frequently be able to see Ticks before they crawl all the way up and you can brush them off. The kind with detachable legs (convertible into shorts) are ideal, because ticks crawl up to the fold in the fabric on each leg, and then won't crawl downward and around. In essence, they get "stuck" at the zipper, and that keeps them from finding other less obvious places to hide.

2. Serious Tick Spray. I recommend the type that kills the buggards, and is good for six weeks on the clothing--even if it is washed. Cans will run about $12 at an Army Supply Store, and a can will last all summer.

3. Waterproof, high-top boots. Perfect for crossing creeks and remaining bone-dry. These must be high lace-ups, so that the pants can be tucked into them before they're tied. Then the shirt must be tucked in as well. So that way ticks can't get at you unless they crawl all the way up to your neck....which brings me to the next point...

4. A head net. These can be purchased for about $15 at an outdoors store or Army Surplus. Put your hat on, and put this over your head. You'll want the black mesh ones--for visibility. Make sure that the net has a ring around the bottom, to keep the mesh off your face. Cinch the drawstring at the bottom snug with your neck and tuck it in the top of your shirt. Button your shirt all the way up.

When you get back to the car after a hunt, unzip the bottom of your pants (turn them into shorts, and check the seam). Then remove the pants "legs." Remove boots (change into sandals), change shirts, and remove the head net. Throw everything into a garbage bag and tie it tightly closed. (That way you don't get Ticks in your car!) Then when you get home, throw the whole bag into the freezer overnight. When you get it out of the freezer, take the clothing and shake off the frozen ticks, and you're good to go.

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a lot of trouble, but I assure you it's worth it. The polyester-blend clothing feels light and airy, and it dries much faster than cotton does--so having long sleeves doesn't really make a difference in how hot you'll get in the woods. (And you'll WANT to have long sleeves!--or at least a shirt that is convertible from long to short sleeved.) I take rubber bands and wrap one around the outside of each of my sleeves to keep anything undesirable from crawling up. :tard:

So there are a few of our secrets.

Happy 99% Tick-Free Hunting,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks for sharing BB! You IB guys are great!

Found over 20 ticks on me last year as I went out one day still thinking it was pre-tick season but an early nest must have caught me unaware. They were not the deer ticks but all the same, be aware!

Fortunately we don't have any poisonous snakes or other mean critters in the woods here, but I've found one bumblebee nest in the ground this year. They were not very aggressive, just insistent that I leave.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Thanks for sharing BB! You IB guys are great!

Found over 20 ticks on me last year as I went out one day still thinking it was pre-tick season but an early nest must have caught me unaware. They were not the deer ticks but all the same, be aware!

Fortunately we don't have any poisonous snakes or other mean critters in the woods here, but I've found one bumblebee nest in the ground this year. They were not very aggressive, just insistent that I leave.

The year that I dug in the woods all summer in KY I ended up with only 2 ticks total--after dozens of hunts. Last year, one tick. This summer already, one tick. :-\ But hoping for no more!

I've dug into yellow jacket nests twice in the past 2 decades--and I'm Very allergic to them due to getting so many stings before.

Prevention is the key. Treatment sucks.

-Buck

Damn Yankee

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
Cortes, S. Umax, Omega, E-Trac, White's M6...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up Buckle Boy,
I went after a geocache on the mountainside with the grandkid a few years back. We met the family for dinner after and Debbie kept finding ticks on me through dinner.
Needless to say ruined everyones appetite and about cleared out the restaurant.....lol, this was in April in Utah.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I guess I am the risk taker. I usually hunt alone, I wear 60/40 blend T shirts with short sleeves, I wear 10 pocket shorts,Merrell hiking sneakers with crew cotton socks. I usually go out hunting for several hours from a base camp.
I have been out many times this season, but only was attacked by one tick. I could feel him crawling up my leg. He died before his last supper! Poison ivy doesn't bother me unless it is on me for more than 12 hours. I use my detector to probe ahead of me for snakes. The only time I carry water is when I go in the desert out west. I travel light and fast to cover more ground. I did have one problem about 12 years ago. I thought it was a bee sting on my leg . I thought I was going to die that night, cold sweat and hot flashes under 3 blankets. It left a bulls eye red mark and a little rotten area in the center. took me 3 weeks to clear it up. Read about the problem a month later. It was a spider byte! I think I must be related to Daniel Boon!
Dressing up like Iron Patch while TH takes all the fun out of it. :D No offence Iron Patch Good American colors.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
great info BuckleBoy , ticks have always been a problem here in the northeast as have the skeeters so we have been dressing pretty much the same in the summer months . i.ve been wearing a "bug suit" for a few years now and have not had one of those little $@#^%*('s on me since when combined with some good repellant .these shirt and pants are very light and breath so they don't add to the heat and i would recommend them to keep the pest of ya .
the shirt
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat470134&hasJS=true
the pants
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat470134&hasJS=true
Dan

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what works for me,buy some B1 tablets,crush them up in a pill crusher and add a little water to them in a bowl,your trying to make a paste,spread that paste around your ankles and maybe on your arms,this will keep all kinds of bugs,tics,etc.,along with people too,the pills smell bad but it works. :laughing7:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Post! Thanks for taking the time to share it, good ideas. :coffee2:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a "snake gun" in the form of a .38 special with a 3 inch barrel, loaded with snake shot. If you don't know what snake shot is, it's a cartridge loaded with small buckshot. I load the little wheel gun with 3 snake loads and 3 semi-wadcutter hollow points; indexing the cylinder so that the 3 snake loads are first in the firing order. They are for Mr. No shoulders and the last 3 rounds are for the 2-legged snakes I might meet. I'm planning to upgrade from the little Taurus .38 Special to a .357 magnum to have the ability to use +P semi wadcutters and the magnum snake loads. The little Taurus wasn't made to handle +P ammo.

As a further bit of information, be aware that antivenin is is short supply around the country. It might behove you to check the hospitals in the area you hunt a lot and see if they have supplies on hand. Knowledge is power and in some cases, the difference between living and dying. Does that sound melodramatic?? Beats the hell out of dying from a snake bite.

DirtfisherGabe

Nov 28, 2008
Knoxville , TN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Spectrum XLT
Hey buckle, thanks for posting this info. It is very useful to anyone who hunts anywhere, but especially in the woods. dense, cleared off, or whatever kind of woods you're in...this is good info to know. Thanks for sharing!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay Buckle Boy: I figured out what you would look like if you dressed as described and carried all the kits and equipment described.
Iron Patch's picture, but with a 50# backpack!
I realize there is a lot of good equipment there, but some is best located at the base camp. All that excess weight could cause heat stroke!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Hay Buckle Boy: I figured out what you would look like if you dressed as described and carried all the kits and equipment described.
Iron Patch's picture, but with a 50# backpack!
I realize there is a lot of good equipment there, but some is best located at the base camp. All that excess weight could cause heat stroke!

That's exactly what we do. Bring in the gear. Hang it in a tree while we hunt for the site. Then when the site is found, we get the gear and make a base camp. It sucks to haul around that much gear, but there have been many, Many times when we would've been in a heap of trouble without it.

-Buckles

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Geeze you got me scratching now. Was planning on going Relic hunting tomorrow in the woods with my club. I got that permethon stuff but after reading about it I am afraid to use it.

Now since I am in Raleigh I could always drive to the beach. So let's see, Hot, sweaty woods with ticks or Hot lotioned girls in bikini's?

Okay that's it, I am going beach hunting tomorrow! :laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnieWalker said:
Geeze you got me scratching now. Was planning on going Relic hunting tomorrow in the woods with my club. I got that permethon stuff but after reading about it I am afraid to use it.

Now since I am in Raleigh I could always drive to the beach. So let's see, Hot, sweaty woods with ticks or Hot lotioned girls in bikini's?

Okay that's it, I am going beach hunting tomorrow! :laughing7:

Wuss. :tongue3: ;D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay Buckle boy. GPS's are great, but they don't work in the forrest! the canopy blocks the signal. ALWAYS take a compass! I just spent 3 days in the woods and I can tell you when you have been wondering around in strange territory and you look at your GPS and see that the bread crumb trail stops at the edge of the woods you get a bad feeling! If you have an electronic compass in your GPS Make sure it works where the signal stops!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Hay Buckle boy. GPS's are great, but they don't work in the forrest! the canopy blocks the signal. ALWAYS take a compass! I just spent 3 days in the woods and I can tell you when you have been wondering around in strange territory and you look at your GPS and see that the bread crumb trail stops at the edge of the woods you get a bad feeling! If you have an electronic compass in your GPS Make sure it works where the signal stops!

You know, it's funny...

I had Never had trouble with the expensive Garmin GPS we used (belongs to my buddy Hill Billy), but after changing to a cheaper GPS, I realized last hunt that I was getting no signal in the woods!

I have done 50+ woods hunts with the other GPS and never once lost signal. It was a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, I'm pretty sure. The one I'm using now probably cost a quarter as much as the Garmin. :(

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
It's not the price, it's the time of the year. The leaf canopy,in the summer, block the signal equally to all GPS's. I use a Garmin e trex vista C. It works great except in the woods in the summer and in some very deep canyons out west.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
It's not the price, it's the time of the year. The leaf canopy,in the summer, block the signal equally to all GPS's. I use a Garmin e trex vista C. It works great except in the woods in the summer and in some very deep canyons out west.

That's odd--because the only time I ever hunt the woods is in the summer, when the fields are planted. :icon_scratch:

Now, I am in a different location about 300 miles away from where I used the other GPS. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread