How hard is it to get permission to hunt ghost towns?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I am going to hunt some ghost Towns in the state of Washington this summer in order to have a great time and find old finds. I have a lot in mind and was wondering how hard it was to get permission? Mostly all of the houses are not occupied and if they are they are a museum or a church. I would love to know how hard it is to get permission. Thanks! :)

From your good hunting buddy,

DetectingFreak

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You say most of the houses are a "museum or a church". Sounds to me like you are heading to the type ghost town that's been made into a modern "tourist" type thing (as opposed to lost ruins out somewhere, out-of-mind).

My experience with is this: Many years ago, a friend and I gathered up a bunch of "ghost town" books, that detailed "ghost towns" across the desert southwest (AZ, NM, etc...). Bear in mind, these were "coffee table" type auto-club tourist books, detailing stuff that retirees in motor homes would drive out to see. Ie.: "no secret to anyone" type stuff. As we went, location to location, we found that .... generally, since these were all open eye-sores, that detectors were not very welcome. I mean, since they were such glamorized known spots, there had been no shortage of bottle diggers and relic hunters over the past 30 yrs. Even in the remote ones, we encountered REAMS of open bottle pits, picnic junk, etc.... And occasionally we encountered private property owners who left no doubt in our minds, that they wished these "tour guide" books had never been written. Ie.: it only brought out the lookie-lous and retirees with detectors, by the droves.

I would guess it would be the same for your ghost towns, if the psychological profile ("museums and churches") is the same: if it is a historical "monument" (or destination) type place, you'll be just one of a LONG line of people showing up at their door-step with detectors. And generally, places made into tourist destinations, are going to be more on the "preservation" side of things, as opposed to a set of less-recorded ruins out in the middle of nowhere.

We quickly learned, on our ghost town tour, to AVOID the places in the books we carried. Any coffee-table glossy tourist auto-club book that detailed ghost towns, were the ones we stayed away from ::) Instead, we did our research, and found places left out of those type books. Like: Stage stops that weren't marked with a plaque, ruins and foundations that we found on our own, forts or ghost towns that we only found referenced in older out-of-print citations, that were not easy-to-find, etc..... When we got to those locations, we found less or no competition, less or no ill-will to our hobby, or simply forgotten innocuous sites, that were out-of-site/out-of-mind where, uh, there was really no one to "ask".

The days of going to the type ghost towns like you see in a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western, are over. Maybe the guys in the 1960s and early '70s walked right into Rhyolite ( http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/rhyolite.html ) , or Bodie ( http://www.bodie.com/ ) or whatever, but now, you'll probably do better to hit old-town urban demo's (which are every bit as old as ghost towns of the west), or find remote unusual historical citations, that the arm-chair hunters aren't likely to read about.

findinglittle

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX
when you find a ghost there then ask them LOL no try to find the owner or manager of the museum and ask if you can detect around for a bit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread