Metal Detector Mfgs Customer Service or Repairs??

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Metal Detector Mfg's Customer Service or Repairs??

I just received my XLT back from White's for repairs. It cost $113.54 to get it fixed. Granted, the machine IS 12 years old, I can understand a minor charge. But I felt that $113 was a bit expensive, considering the original price. Not to mention a $40 service fee just to look at it. This fee is included in the final price and is not additional.

I've taken my Garrett CXIII in to Garrett for repairs and have NEVER been charged a cent. They've even replaced two search coils, one to replace a bad coil that had worked for a few years. The machine was OUT OF WARRANTY also...

My Dad was strictly a Garrett user, and in all his years detecting, and needing repairs, they NEVER charged him a cent. He praised Garrett's customer service as being a very honest and upstanding company that backed their products. He recommended I use Garrett when I got interested in detecting for this very reason.

My detecting buddy has had his Garrett ADS-7 (Way out of Warranty!!!) in at least twice and again he was NEVER charged a cent and they even gave him a free digging tool. Needless to say, my buddy also recommends Garrett to everyone who asks him about a detector. Why? CUSTOMER SERVICE...

While speaking with Whites, I asked about rechargeable batteries, as my two original sets finally wore out... A WHOPPING $49.95 EACH!!!! :o :o :o

When I purchased my originals (seperate from the detector) they were $19.95 and that was easier to swallow without choking!!!

I do not have ANY complaint's on the service I received from Nadine at White's. She was very helpful, professional (although she doesn't detect... LOL) and courteous. A BIG change from the first times I called White's some years back for repairs... When customer service was lacking in manners...

All in all... I LOVE my XLT. It has served me very well and I wouldn't trade it for anything. And I'd still recommend White's to ANY person wanting an excellent machine!!! And yes, I would choose it over Garrett even under the above circumstances... :D I just wished they'd come down on those rechargeables... LOL

Anyone else have any repair or customer service issues they'd like to share with the rest of us?

Marc... Is there any way we could get a forum for something of this sort? I believe that manufacturers being aware of any problems they may have would only help it's company and customers, whether existing customers or prospective customers, by sharing our experiences with each other...

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Metal Detector Mfg's Customer Service or Repairs??

I posted a note on Garrett customer service before I read this one. See Garrett customer service by jimmileo. I don't have any experience with Whites except I am hearing how good their equipment is and I have no reason to doubt it. I am thoroughly satisfied with both my Garretts detectors but if someone told me they were purchasing a Whites product I would say go for it based on all the information I have learned on this forum. JIM

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I had to send my 560 Vibra-Probe to Treasure Products,and they returned it promptly fixed and at no charge!AOK with me.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

? ? ?That's a bummer gold digger. About a week or week and a half ago on the MXT forum a guy thanked Whites for making a used MXT he had purchased new again. New 6x10 coil, knobs, screen, fixed a loose arm rest, and sent him new batteries. Cost him $10.00 for shipping.
? ? ?Then another guy said he sent Whites his broken PI with some money, he didn't say how much, to get it fixed and they sent him a new detector.?

P

PrizmIV

Everyone that Ive heard from about Whites customer service is that they sent in a broken machine, they didn't even fix it they sent them a brand new one and all they had to pay was shipping. Although, they was in warranty. I guess it just deppends on the situation.

newoldhunter

Sep 1, 2005
Repair shop needed in Chicago for 1978 Bounty Hunter

Need help finding a good repair shop for my 1978 bounty hunter metal detector in Chicago. Far N.W. location if possible. Is it worth fixing? Only used it for one year.It's in very good condition. Do people collect old detectors? Open to other help or suggestions

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

i do not know about repairs for this, or even about the unit,, but there is a fellow on here that will buy your broken unit,,,,,just saw his post today.....

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX

hey newoldhunter,have you tried a radio shack?

HH Mark

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Whites has taken VERRY good care of me. Sent in my DFX for a problem in July. They replaced the coil free of charge & told me that it was probably from leaving it in the window of the back seat of my truck in 100 degree plus weather. I learned a lesson & I am still a Whites fan. I have a DFX & a QXT PRO.
Spotz

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like they saw you coming digger from all the freebies everyone else has posted about. I'd drop them a line and let them know how much I appreciated it......NOT! Did you correspond with them prior to sending it in or did you just send it in? I always get in touch with someone ahead of time and tell them something to the effect of how much praise I have heard about their customer service, what a great machine I thought they made, but this one has really disappointed me in that it didn't last like I thought it would, etc, etc, Stroke them a little ahead of time and you usually get a better deal no matter what it is that is needing fixing. JIM

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can tell you that Garrett offers top notch customer service, not because I have ever had a problem with my detector, but because of the way they respond. I have emailed them a few times since getting my ACE250, and they have always returned my emails within 1 day. That is a pretty good measuring stick for how good their customer service is, I think. I know nothing about Whites, but I hear they are a great product. I also once had to order replacement parts for my Bounty Hunter, and their parts deptartment took my order and shipped it the same day. I received the part 4 days later, and from Texas to RI, that's pretty good! They got an A for service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread