Desperatly seeking sites (In Wisconsin)

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone must know something they want to tell me =)

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i found out a few things about Port Ulao i wasnt sure of till today......

What i knew is that it was founded in the late 1800's just east of Ulao Wi.....which is part of Grafton.....just north of mequon....just north of milwaukee......a 1000 ft log chute was constructed into lake michigan for logging. When steam ships stopped using wood the town declined till it more or less disapeared......very little of the log chute is visable any longer.......and rumor is there is a bar from the original town still around somewhere.....i did not see it when i went

I called the owner of a lighthouse that was supposedly on the land Port Ulao was on.......

I learned today that the lighthouse is 1/2 mile north of the town and now VERY expensive housing has been built over the old town......
I will be calling the owner again on Monday to discuss the old town further.

Now.....Anyone got some info for me????? :tongue3:

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.....but i couldnt find anything on this site that help......id be happy to see any other courses you may have

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Where are you located...there are many places to hunt from Grafton straight up to Sheboygan.....Lots of old Dutch settlements near Oostburg...old towns near Port Washington.....Cedarburg and Fredonia...Belgium ...Random Lake are all small towns with lots of history and many old buildings that are over 100 years....Lake Church area has some great old places....I spent alot of time last summer just driving and looking along the Lake Michigan backroads ...when something looked good...I stopped and asked persmission to hunt....I cant tell you how much local history can be found at the libraries...alot of research ...but man a treasure of info....The stage coach line ran along Lake Michigan...all the way from Milwaukee on up ....lots of old taverns/way stops and schools....
I have hunted mostly Northern Wisconsin and for years just hunted old Indian Camps, the River homesteads and towns that are no longer in existance...You need to just start researching old maps and talk to long time residents of the towns....hit the local small town bar or mom and pop cafe and talk to the folks in there...they are a wealth of info....

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Rootsweb is a good source for old newspaper srticles, stories told by long time residents, old plat map links, etc.......

You won't find anything that says "detect here" - you have to piece the clues together yourslf and paint a picture of where things were back then.

As an example, by comparing current aerial photographs from sites like yahoo maps, etc., with old plat maps, and stories from old newspapers I have been able to locate a couple of old roadways that were well travelled around the turn of the 20th century as well as the site of a former railway station, that are all but non existent today.......(but happily on public and detectable land :) )

Happy Hunting !

Diggem'

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody wanna take me to one of their sites and put my searchcoil over a large cent and dig it up for me? :tongue3:

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy: I'm located in Oak Creek, Wi currently. Thank you for being so open to helping me find a place. I'm able to travel roughly 100Mi west/south of here, and anything to the southern state line of Wi. I do have a 120 year old farm i hunt but only find scrap metals there unfortunatly. The house that was on the farm has burned to the ground and we will be shoveling out the remains as soon as we can to search the cellar as well. I'm also talking to land owners of the old Port Ulao site in an effort to find a hunting spot there......unfortunatly from what i've seen the old town site is now the site of many expensive houses, dont get my wrong im still gonna try and get permission, but due to the property value i doubt it will be happening anytime soon. As for new sites to hunt, im all open for suggestions. I havnt been able to find anything at all in the area, aside from what was previously stated. There is a site in Kenosha of an old racetrack, but i was told by someone on here that they are hunting it and im hoping when they are done they would be willing to share the info on ownership and location with me. Once again thank you for your assistance, and i look forward to hearing back from you.

Diggemall: I will continue to try using this site as a reference point, but im unsure of how to. As far as Plat maps go, the only one i've seen to this date shows nothing that i can understand except for he formation of hills on the map. Unfortunatly i have no clue how to use Plat maps, but am more than willing to learn. I look forward to hearing more from you, and how to use this site to my advantage.

BuckleBoy: I understand your unwillingness to give up say, a site that you just found and hasnt been searched. But i care not if its been gone over with a fine tooth comb. I'm not in it to find everything. All i hope is to be able to come home with a token or 2 (coin/jewlery.....preferably coin). I know that theres a chance i wont find anything, and im happy with the ability to search. But this is a post looking for help, not looking for people who do not want to assist. I know you may be trying to assist by letting me know politely, as such, that people wont just give out their location. But i come people are just more willing to help out than others. Some people will stand at the scene of a fire, while other will run in to help a person/animal thats trapped. Though its not the exact same thing, but some people are more selfless than others.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alpha105 said:
BuckleBoy: I understand your unwillingness to give up say, a site that you just found and hasnt been searched. But i care not if its been gone over with a fine tooth comb. I'm not in it to find everything. All i hope is to be able to come home with a token or 2 (coin/jewlery.....preferably coin). I know that theres a chance i wont find anything, and im happy with the ability to search. But this is a post looking for help, not looking for people who do not want to assist. I know you may be trying to assist by letting me know politely, as such, that people wont just give out their location. But i come people are just more willing to help out than others. Some people will stand at the scene of a fire, while other will run in to help a person/animal thats trapped. Though its not the exact same thing, but some people are more selfless than others.

Yes I am letting you know politely.  I think you could click on any page of my 3000+ posts and see evidence that I am all the time helping folks...  I'm willing to help folks that have a research problem, or a question, but someone who uses only enough foresight and thought to post a one-line thread asking to be given a site, not so much.  So if you have specific questions about how to find sites, ask them.  I'll help you if I can.  As for your original post--someone GIVING you a site doesn't really solve the problem you're experiencing on finding them on your own, now does it? 

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy, unfortunatly im not sure how to go about researching things. I have seen a good amount of your posts in the past and know you are willing to help out. I believe i took it more personally that intended. I've tried googling most things.....unfortunatly as for the information i find, im honestly not intelligent enough to figure it out. I honestly dont know where to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also as a note about Port Ulao. I believe i found the site, mapwise, of the old town i wanted to hunt. A house thats on this property is currently selling for 1.3 million dollars. Possibly another hope dashed. But i will be attempting to find if there is an unclaimed area around the house to hunt. Hopefully its a little north of the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions