Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    us
    "Today will be the day"

Dec 2007
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Bounty Hunter

What is the best metal detector for your buck?

I want to buy a metal detector but I dont have a fortune to spend, so I dont want to sell my srams or legs. Any ideas?
    Dreams can come true, you just have to want them bad enough, research them long enough, and dig for them deep enough...

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    12 times

Re: What is the best metal detector for your buck?

whats your budget?
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1327 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

What kind of hunting will you be doing
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Ace 250 from garrett gets my vote. easy to learn and you can start hunting with it as soon as you get it. Look for Kellyco chick she is a member here and sold me mine. I love it.

us
    "Today will be the day"

Dec 2007
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Bounty Hunter

If you dont mind me asking, What did you pay for it?

My budget is about 300 right now.
    Dreams can come true, you just have to want them bad enough, research them long enough, and dig for them deep enough...

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1856 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Hollowpointred & Jim are right. It "depends". I mean, it's like asking "what's the best motor vehicle for the buck?" Someone might reply: "Will you be driving long haul? Do you need comfort? Speed? gas mileage? durability? are you going to be hauling tomatoes to market with it?" Same for detectors: what's your budget? How serious and competitive do you want to be? What're you looking for (as there are machines that excell in some areas, but NOT others). Ie.: coins? jewelry? nuggets? iron-ridden sites? beach? etc..... If you're just going to dabble now and then, on land, for coins and relics, the 6000 di pro is pretty good. They're on ebay for reasonable prices, and are pretty versatile (barring nuggets anyhow). There are more powerful complicated/adjustable choices than a di pro, but it's pretty good for what it does.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    "Today will be the day"

Dec 2007
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Bounty Hunter

Thanks for the advise, I will check thm out on ebay.

Oct 2006
    Cold Cold Minnesota

For an entry level machine I feel that the Garret Ace 250
    is hard machine to beat. they run for about $210
    to $250 depending on where you go. Wish I would have
    bought this one when I started. That is my two cents worth
    Good luck
    dAUg 19,3

Mar 2005
    12 times

for general purpose land detecting i can think of a couple of nice machines in your price range. the Tesoro silver umax, and the Garrett ace 250. the fisher F2 might be worth a look as well however i have never seen one up close to make a decision one way or the other.
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

us
    Feb 2005
    Menominee, Michigan
    T-2,
    2 times

hollowpointred has some good advice, if looking on ebay check out the tesoros or a whites, like a qxt or id,idx,idxpro, solid dependable machines
    where's the good stuff

us
    Wolfpack Life Member

Mar 2005
    Stephens City, Virginia
    Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
    9 times

Tesoro Cibola. Easy to operate, if soil is easy, you won't need a ground balance (I don't in Northern Virginia Soil). $340.00 anywhere.

DM

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1856 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Easy money, I agree with you. I never understood why the Ace 250 gets such rave reviews. I mean, it's "ok" for a rogue beginner machine, but will quickly have its *ss kicked by other machines, depending on the hunt site. I hunted side by side with an Ace 250 user, and we found out that if a nail is too close to a good target, the masking is quite pronounced. And yes, you'd get clobbered on the wet salt beach, esp. cinammon colored sand (which is evidence of minerals). There are other more versatile machines, IMHO, that I would reccomend to a person starting out.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

May 2008

I'd have to go with EasyMoney and Tom here, forget about the Ace 250, I had one and got rid of it, nice looking machine but that's about as far as it goes. I also have an F2 and would highly recommend this machine (found a silver ring with this machine second time out) and any machines in the Tesoro line. When I bought my 250 my 12 year old son and I went detecting to a local park. I was using the 250 and he was using his Tesoro Compadre. He kicked my butt with the Compadre. He went over an area I had searched and found a clad quarter and 2 nickels I missed with the Ace 250.

it
    Nov 2007
    Chicago
    White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

My second detector was an Ace 250 and I used it exclusively for a few years before upgrading again. I still have it, and use it from time to time. I, for one, would recommend it to a beginner. I haven't used every detector on the planet but I do know that with frequent tot lot detecting (which is what most beginners do), you should be able to pay for the Ace 250 in less than a year.
    "Go deep or go home" - LAdigger

Mar 2005
    12 times

in my part of the country (eastern us) the ACE50 did a fine job as an entry level machine. it is light weight,easy to learn,had reasonable depth, and discriminates reasonably well. i would still use it from time to time had my brother not commandeered it from me! that being said, it is not the best detector in the world as some claim either, but for the $$, around here, it is a very good choice. ( for land hunting).
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors