Question about rechargables

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've switched over to Energizer rechargeable Nimh 9 volt batteries for my detector(it's a Titan 2000xd). I was trying to save money by going the rechargeable route but when I put them into my detector the best I can ever get is three quarters charge. My detector has four lines to show battery charge, four bars being fully charged. Even with a "full" charge strait from the charger the best I can get out of the rechargeables is three bars. I do get four bars with brand name single use 9 volts. Is this normal for rechargeable batteries? Also is there anywhere anybody would recommend for buying name brand single use 9v's in bulk? Are there any lithium ion 9 volts sold for detectors? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
All rechargable batteries, at full charge, give lower readings than fully charged single-use batteries. For instance, a new AA single use battery reads at 1.5 volts, whereas a fully charged rechargable AA reads at 1.2 volts. Most battery-powered devices have voltage regulators which take this into consideration, thus rechargables "drain" quicker than single use batteries. The real economy of rechargables is just that; they are reusable.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, I didn't know that. Guess we have to wait for rechargeable technology to catch up. I've noticed a difference in other electronics like rc planes and stuff between Nimh and lithium ion batteries, seems like the lithiums always perform better. I have yet to find any rechargeable lithium 9 volts yet though. Thanks for the info Jim

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jim is right: rechargeables don't show as much voltage. But I will add this: It doesn't matter anyhow, for the function of the detector. The electronics inside the machine have "voltage regulators", which control/limit the amount of voltage allowed to enter into the circuit boards. So for example, maybe only .8 volts (or whatever) is allowed to pass through the regulator anyhow. This is the reason why performance does not suffer on detectors, until the voltage is below that threshold. Ie.: there is not a bell curve of decreasing performance, based on battery power strength, until the battery is on the tail end of the strength.

Another note: To get the maximum life out of your nicad rechargeables, let them run all the way down each time, before recharging them. If you keep recharging them after just a few hour's use each time, they will develop a memory, and .... eventually .... only hold a "few hours" charge. I have 2 sets of rechargeables, so that I can be sure to run each one down, before being recharged. Ie.: I don't have to worry if I'm heading out to the field with only 1/4 charge left of a pack (ie.: am not tempted to give it a "booster charge"), because I have a second pack I can rotate with. And just to be sure, I keep a 3rd pack for regular alkalines, so I know that I'm never recharching a nicad pack before it's totally run down.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Nicads & nimh's are different in the memory aspect . Nimh's aren't supposed to have a memory so it
shouldn't matter if they are fully discharged or not . Right on with the nicads .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
hillbilly, yes, the "memory" developing problem of early nicads was supposed to be mimized with nimh's, trickle-charge chargers, etc... So yes, the problem is not as bad as it used to be. But it is still there. You will still get longer life on your rechargeables by letting them drain all the way out each time, before recharging them. Naturally, the instructions won't tell you this. They'll tell you to charge between each use. I can only guess that this is because they'll end up selling more batteries, the faster that people's batteries go bad?

I had this conversation with my boss a few years back: We bought expensive rechargeable flashlights for our company, thinking we'd save money on alkaline batteries. But after 6 months, the flashlight would not hold a charge longer than 10 minutes or so. (same concept for chordless walk around phones). I told my boss that we needed to run the flashlight all the way down, lest it develope this memory. He read the instructions again, and insisted this couldn't be, because the instructions said to "put back on the charger between each use" Doh :icon_study: Guess they ended up selling a lot of flashlights to him ::)

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I use duracell ni-mh. At full charge they will read 4 bars for couple of hours then drop to three and pretty much remain on three though out my day of detecting. I have two sets and switch them occasionally. I've never seen them drop to two bars on my ace. I find just as much with it on three bars as I do four and I can't see a difference. My brother and son use throw aways. To each his own. I really like rechargeables and as long as they keep working for me I won't switch.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, rechargeables make sense if one detects a great deal of the time. In my own case, the detectors I use get a lot of hours out of good quality alkalines so I continue to go that route. If I ever get enough detecting in that battery life is an issue, I'll happily either go to rechargeables or pay the price for the alkalines with a big grin.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've stopped using the rechargeables as my primary for now, I've gome back to throw away's for now but still keep the rechargables in my pack as a backup. Guess I'm just going to wait till rechargeable technology can come up with a battery that can give the same performance as throw away alkalines

dl_mooney

Jun 26, 2008
I plan on using 9.6 volt rechargeable batterys in my Bounty Hunter,Time Ranger. Along with a charger that will also do 9.6.Alkaline single use do have about the same voltage or slightly less.Hope this helps. dl_mooney

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
How long does it take to re-charge these batteries? HH

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
Cam I think you are missing the points made by Tom and undertaker. Re chargeables work fine in detectors. My energizer NIMH's are over 2 years old and are working fine in my MXT. I charge them without having to run them down between charges with no problem. My regulator keeps my detectors optimum operating voltage just fine as long as the battery voltage is above 8V. All modern detectors use voltage regulators.

You said you use them on your backup pack. If they are regulator NIMH they were not meant for this purpose. Regular NIMH lose charge when they sit for longer periods. They now have very low discharge NIMH but I haven't needed them because I hunt a lot and mine don't sit long.

Different types of batteries have different internal resistances, I'd check before using lithiums in my detector. Many NIMH have more mah's than standard alkalines and they can produce more ma when needed than alkalines. But in the end use what works best for you. Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions