Treasure/coin hunting in Germany - Question

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Hello,
I'm an American now living in Germany and would like to get into MD. I would like to buy a detector between 200 and 400 Euro. I think I'm going to be scouring old Roman remains looking for silver/gold coins and other metal artifacts. I don't have a real interest in finding WWII artifacts, but since there is alot of that here, I might as well include that. A couple of things in a detector that I may need (correct me if I'm wrong):
1. Fast scan, as I'll be in the forests and fields trying to cover as much area as possible (I think). (I'm in S. Germany, south of Nurnberg)
2. The terrain is solid earth mostly, the Roman remains are sometimes rocky. Since the earth is somewhat firm I think to have some pinpoint ability would save me digging in hard earth?
3. I would like to search some old dry riverbeds, and perhaps in shallow water as well, the unit box does not need to be waterproof.
4. Graphic dislpay preferable.
5. New unit preferable, but open to used one.
Anything else????
Any stories/experiences/links/suggestions regarding S. Germany?
Thanks from a newbie,
Earthmansurfer.....currently surfing Germany

Upvote 0
OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
update

Ok, I've done alot of reading in the last day so I can narrow down my question. Scan speed is not an issue. I see after looking around that I need to spend close to 400 bucks as I want to find some of the smaller gold/silver coins and that requires a more sensitive machine. So far I like these machines:
Garret GTAx 550, Scorpion Gold stinger, white IDX pro, fisher ID Excel.
I just did some searching and these machines seem to be in the same class, maybe the fisher a bit higher? The Scorpion is a higher frequency (15khz) than the others I believe. The 550x has an lcd panel. I have not had a machine before and don't know if just audio is ok, but I imagine my ear will train to the sounds well after time, though the lcd seems intuitively easier at first. Any comments on these machines or recommendation for others in the same range?
Thanks again,
Earthmansurfer

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Spend a few dollars more and get the Garret 1250. I think they can be had for around $460.00 U.S. What ever the exchange rate is you could do OK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread