nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
White's SL or Garrett groundhog?

So here's the problem...I'm not a pro and don't need anything fancy, so what I've had (and enjoy) is a White's Classic-I SL. BUT the other day at a yard sale I picked up an old Garrett VLF/TR S-3 with groundhog co-planar coil for $5 (in original box!). The thing is pristine despite being from around 1981. It has lots of knobs and such which my White's doesn't, but I wondered (as I noticed the price of these Garrett's on eBay) are these better than what I'm using? Or do people just collect these oldies? I put new batteries in it and it does work, but on whatever setting I had the thing it didn't seem to pick up as much as my White's. Should I learn how to use it better or just stick to my 4-yr old Whites (and list this thing on eBay). Thanks for your opinions ahead of time. :) -Ben

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Re: White's SL or Garrett groundhog?

I had and used a couple of Garrett ADS deepseekers way back. I would keep the whites. It should be far superior. The VLF/TR'S got good depth in the vlf/all metal mode, but in tr/discriminate mode, they had no ground canceling, so were very limited on depth. Might be cool to keep both, but i would definitly use the whites. HH

OP
OP
nhbenz

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Re: White's SL or Garrett groundhog?

Thanks for the input. I think I will keep it. It's nice to know that these had some merits despite thier age. Thanks. -Ben

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread